Gear and Progression changes coming with 7.2

BryantWood

40 minutes ago, DWho said:

How so. As I recall, there were several sets that were locked behind certain content. Everyone could get iRating 306 gear but it was not all equivalent. The most difficult raids still had exclusives (outside of an almost negligible chance of getting them from a random vendor one piece at a time) that performed better than the gear a typical "casual" player could obtain.

Just like in 7.0 people are fixated on the iRating. In 7.0 there are people complaining that raid gear iRating isn't far enough above what others can get but the purple gear they get (with the same iRating as the blue and green stuff) is far superior to the green gear (or even the blue gear) in performance. Green gear is heavily loaded with the worthless Endurance stat (which is effectively double synced with the stat being synced and the Health from it synced further making increasing Endurance pointless) while blue and purple gear moves those points into more useful abilities. With level sync working on a sliding scale system now instead of a hard cap (for most abilities anyway) having more points in non-Endurance abilities makes the gear perform better.

I'm guessing that the REAL determining factor (as to what good gear is and what is worthless) ..  depends on which side of the fence you're standing on!  And now that the proverbial shoe is on the other foot it's not that comfortable anymore! 

Gear is and always be important.  That is why the better gear is still gated (to a degree).

As for loadouts and alternate options to play (for each character) ...  🤦‍♂️  good grief. Why so complicated?  I'm sure it comes in handy in some cases.  But realistically just how often is it used?

IMO the more complicated the plumbing the easier it is to stop it up!!  I can almost guarantee that the gearing system in 7.2 is not going to change things THAT much.  Hopefully it will improve some things!  At the TOP of that list is gear that actually works and not more FLUFF without being gated!

Edited by OlBuzzard

Are legendarys items staying at the current item rating of 334?

Because you did not mention them in the livestream. And if they are staying at 334 rating, what is the reason behind this decision? It would create a weird situation with rakata implants being upgradeable to item rating 336 and having better stats than legendary items at item rating 334, with inferior stats but legendary bonus on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Rykon said:

Because you did not mention them in the livestream. And if they are staying at 334 rating, what is the reason behind this decision? It would create a weird situation with rakata implants being upgradeable to item rating 336 and having better stats than legendary items at item rating 334, with inferior stats but legendary bonus on them.

This is an excellent question. Maybe we can get a response to that. It would be amazing. 

6 hours ago, Rykon said:

I'd like to know that as well 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 6:54 AM, TheRedThreat said:

Can you explain the pvp gear falling behind solo decuriangear or even purchasable mods?

At launch it was decent gear  to have. Not the best but not bad at all. then it falls behind by 2ilvls, now you lower it to be behind by 4ilvls. This progression defeats the purpose of getting pvp gear.    What’s the benefit at this point?

not to sound too pessimistic, but it’s starting to feel like the dev team doesn’t value the pvp community. I understand that may not be true, but these decisions on top of other pvp decisions give this impression.

if they would care bout pvp... oh boi.. you would actually have to balance stuff.... 
3 stun vanguards with harpoon and hydraulics... yeah balanced... if a mara hasnt even 1 stun. 

thats the real reason they got rid of ranked.  they effed pvp so badly with all the utility/ tactical bs. 
same with the death beating slow of the dot sorc. 
has a 50% chance to refresh it self and doesnt even care if you died. 
nice. 
or try rage jugg... no matter what button you press it hurts. totally ridiculous dmg output.  
healers are close to useless in pvp. 
its a effing burst meta. kill faster. nothing else. kind of sad.

come on... fool yourself and think there was any other reason than scoreboard issues (how to do that with chars who are not fixed to one class anymore) and balancing for them to remove ranked. 
their toxicity stuff is a bad excuse. 

yesterday i was on starforge pub side...  after 1 hour i couldnt take the passive agressiveness there anymore. 
people there think they are the pinnacle of everything. 
a guy was looking for people for nefra nim. he wanted them to post cheevo. 
he was basically cyberbullied in fleet chat, that he is ruining the game for others because he wouldnt take people without cheevo.
i was called a (insert australian word with c for everything) for telling a person that  he is blatantly wrong that you can do mm tython last boss with 18k raid healing, 
they started to talk in 3rd person about me in group chat. passive aggressive bs.
when i left the group, because this was getting ridiculous, they started to whisper me. and insults came flying. 
but thats ok. becuse they dont do a mode they wanted to get rid off for years. 
sorry to say.. but star forge pub side is the most toxic faction i have ever seen in this game. 

after that i went to imp side did the fp there. 
6 wipes at the endboss.. but with a bit coaching and giving the healer time during the relic phase. fp clear. 
we had a 5k burst merc and a healer that struggled to get significantly above 20k. (stll had 28k raidhealing selfheals ftw *sad slinger noises*)
still we cleared the fp. no toxic bs. 

we are at a point in this game where the not so strong and loud determine whats going on. a pity and especially a mistake by the people responsible for community stuff. 
a totally divided playerbase which greatly dislikes each other is a good base for further endevours. 

Edited by Opiklo
  • Thanks 1

Back to the Old Original Gear grind system with constant level upgrades. This is why originally people stopped Trying to get gear period. Every time you get a set complete you guys raise it a couple more levels. Plus, always giving everyone a basic set that will work for most any given content. Play how you want was the most Groundbreaking most forward-thinking Gear acquisition system EVER in an MMO.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, akdonkey said:

Back to the Old Original Gear grind system with constant level upgrades. This is why originally people stopped Trying to get gear period. Every time you get a set complete you guys raise it a couple more levels. Plus, always giving everyone a basic set that will work for most any given content. Play how you want was the most Groundbreaking most forward-thinking Gear acquisition system EVER in an MMO.

Not to mention they only increased the gear drops to 324 instead of 326. So now you will have to upgrade pieces six times instead of five. Have fun grinding!

I stumbled about something in the patchnotes that raises a question (I didn't have the nerve to test it on the PTS since I would have needed to grind the respective currencies...) anyway, the section about Hyde and Zeek reads like this:

'Increased the following Power Ceiling. Players need to speak with Hyde and Zeek in the supplies section of the Fleet to acquire new missions that unlocks Prototype and Artifact modifications at Item Ratings 332 and 336 (there is no Item Rating requirement to begin these missions, but will require the deconstruction of Prototype and Artifact gear at Item Ratings 332 and 336 respectively).'

... so what about 334? is there no 334 apart from the Legendaries? I mean we will find out soon enough ... but still odd

28 minutes ago, Darthmoriquendi said:

Not to mention they only increased the gear drops to 324 instead of 326. So now you will have to upgrade pieces six times instead of five.

so maybe it is still five times?

1 hour ago, Dekibra said:

I stumbled about something in the patchnotes that raises a question (I didn't have the nerve to test it on the PTS since I would have needed to grind the respective currencies...) anyway, the section about Hyde and Zeek reads like this:

'Increased the following Power Ceiling. Players need to speak with Hyde and Zeek in the supplies section of the Fleet to acquire new missions that unlocks Prototype and Artifact modifications at Item Ratings 332 and 336 (there is no Item Rating requirement to begin these missions, but will require the deconstruction of Prototype and Artifact gear at Item Ratings 332 and 336 respectively).'

... so what about 334? is there no 334 apart from the Legendaries? I mean we will find out soon enough ... but still odd

so maybe it is still five times?

New grind from 324 to 336 is six upgrades after 7.2.  Old way is 320 to 330 which was five.

10 minutes ago, Darthmoriquendi said:

New grind from 324 to 336 is six upgrades after 7.2.  Old way is 320 to 330 which was five.

well, if 334 does not exist outside of Legendaries, it is still 5 upgrades though, isn't it

and at least Hyde & Zeek won't have 334 upgrade-quests - hence my speculation... but we'll know for sure in a couple of hours

• 2 weeks later...

It is just very frustrating that I have been working to gear up and get more knowledge, but they keep on changing the "finish line".

I can handle Veteran FPs pretty well, but lo and behold I tried a Master mode, imp side, we landed on Tython.  I was a tank in 331, the healer was in 332, but the dps that showed up were in 324 and 326 respectively. No way we could clear it and we tried but wiped, and wiped bad.

So two issues:

1. Master Mode FPs should come with a gear recommendation so people who don't have at least 331 item shouldn't que for it.

2. There needs to be some way for those who have done Veteran countless times to step up to masters without falling on our faces by having gear that would have been good enough 3 weeks ago not be today.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Shayddow said:

1. Master Mode FPs should come with a gear recommendation so people who don't have at least 331 item shouldn't que for it.

2. There needs to be some way for those who have done Veteran countless times to step up to masters without falling on our faces by having gear that would have been good enough 3 weeks ago not be today.

I agree with 1.
more importantly it should be segmented into easier MM normal MM and Harder MM, as well as fast MM normal MM and Slow MM, reward points for the weekly accordingly, you shouldn't be forced to list for all of them to progress the weekly.

about 2. that didn't happen.
FPs were not buffed whatsoever, instead by being able to get better Gear more easily you could argue FPs were nerfed.

Spoiler

Leaving that aside:
forget the 119 Mastery  149 Endurance 95 Power and 60 Tertiary Stat from going from 330 to 340!
one purple Augment is 144 Endurance 144 Power and 108 Tertiary, EASILY equaling those 10 iLVLs!

Did you Augment your Gear, did you check if the DPS you are looking down on had Augments?
that 324 Geared Player might have out-geared you if they had Augments and you didn't.

so next time instead of checking the meaningless iLVL,
how about checking for Augments?
how about opening Starparse and checking if their APM is above 30?
how about checking if everyone does the mechanics correctly.

Skill & knowlage

Gear

8 hours ago, Shayddow said:

It is just very frustrating that I have been working to gear up and get more knowledge, but they keep on changing the "finish line".

I can handle Veteran FPs pretty well, but lo and behold I tried a Master mode, imp side, we landed on Tython.  I was a tank in 331, the healer was in 332, but the dps that showed up were in 324 and 326 respectively. No way we could clear it and we tried but wiped, and wiped bad.

So two issues:

Thank you.

The gear ceiling is changing, but the flashpoints are not being rescaled to match. There's no such thing as "gear that would have been good enough 3 weeks ago not [being good enough] today."

MM Flashpoints were clearable (with effort) in 320 greens at 7.0 launch. 331 would be an incredibly excessive requirement to implement now.

• 2 months later...

I just came back to the game a little over a week ago after a three year absence. I've got to say, the more I read about the gearing changes and gearing progression the more I hate it. It's anything but straight forward. It's the most convoluted thing I've ever seen. I don't want a mix of purple and blue gear in my armor. I want to see all blue, all purple or all gold in my gear. I damn sure don't want non-moddable gear either. Especially when the developers have notoriously done a bad job of stat distribution on such pieces. 

Also, disassembling gear to get other gear that you aren't crafting yourself is nonsense. I don't like that one bit. 

Edited by Spamfritter