Map Revamp Feedback

JackieKo

• Dev Post
  • What map filters would you want to have on or off by default?
  • Are there any concerns about the new keyboard shortcuts?
  • There are a lot of options for customizing your map overlay display. Did you have any issues setting these?
  • Currently the mini-map turns off when the overlay is on. Did this create any issues with playability?
  • Are there any maps you have found that are missing critical details?
  • Are there any map overlay settings you would like to see or don’t ever anticipate using?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Taxi and Quick Travel still show the world map in a window but now that the background is missing, the window is harder to recognize: https://i.imgur.com/C18XP7B.png Can you please add either the previous fuzzy background, or some dark blue gradient like on the character sheet?

In addition, I found a bug: When pressing M while the taxi or Quick Travel window is open, the map switches from the world map to the current area's map. I believe this bug already exists on live but now that the map is being reworked, maybe this can be fixed? https://i.imgur.com/hsoEy3z.png

Also, I feel that if the map type is set to rotation, the map should only rotate if the character is moving at the same time. For example, during combat or when clicking on objects, the character will automatically face the target. Right now, this automatically rotates the map which is very confusing because the player did not intentionally rotate the character.

Finally, it looks like you removed the tooltip with the character's current position from the map. This was the only place where you could see the X, Y and Z coordinates; the map pane only shows the X and Y coordinates. Can you please restore this tooltip, or alternatively add the Z coordinate to the map pane? When hunting for rare objects, knowing the Z coordinate is important so you know you are on the wrong level. (In fact, there's still a preference "Reverse Y and Z coordinates on coordinate displays" which refers to this tooltip)

One more thing, I feel like there should be a preference to always open the map pane as the world map. That way, I can see the area map on the map overlay, and if I need the full map, I can open the map pane to see the world map. Right now, there's a preference "Exterior Map Defaults to World Map" but it also affects the map overlay. And unfortunately, it looks like map overlay and map pane are synced: If I switch the map pane to world map, the overlay also switches to world map, even though I want the overlay to stay at area map.

Edited by Jerba

One thing I really think you overlooked was telling people that the minimal mode is merely optional to the maximal mode, there is an angry mob with pitchforks over this thing. I like the new modes just fine, but ill def be sticking with the classic maximal mode.

Edit: after spending some more time with the minimal map, I like it and will be switching to it come 7.2 live.

Edited by euroDSMtuner
updated
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shortcut

I thought pressing M would open up the old map. I was excited when I realized it brought up the new popout map, swapping with the minimap. But then I couldn't figure out if the old big world map still existed - I was worried it had been deleted (I was directed on twitter  to press ALT+M which worked, then I found it in the main menu.) I guess I was expecting it as a second button on the utility bar, or some type of setting (rather then a different keybind). I now realize I could remap my keybinds if I want the old map experience but it took some steps to get there.

Going to also have to get used to press M to close the popout rather than ESC to close the map. I think that's ok though.

Sizing

I'm not sure what I did while tinkering but I can't figure out how to get the size/position to be steady between planets. I'll got to Corellia, position it so it's not cut off in the Interface Editor... and then travel to Taris and barely any of it will be showing. I'd really like to figure out how to fix this. I think it might be Map Type: Fixed / Scroll / Rotation. Images https://imgur.com/a/QrlY7Ld 

Bugs

• While on the fleet, the first time I opened the map, the text on the map loaded under the map, so it was obscured by the lines of the map. I closed it and re-opened it and the text showed up on time.
  • I tried using the map mask, and the map was masked, but the icons were not and were floating around outside the mask. It also just happens sometimes. Here is the image https://i.imgur.com/vShTwfx.png 
  • "M" keybind for map popout has funny text instead of a label, image https://i.imgur.com/VueTENc.png

XY Coordinates

Jerba mention the X,Y coordinates for hunting down achievements and datacrons and stuff. Maybe it could be an option on the Utility bar? I don't use X,Y day-to-day but when I do they are super useful.

What map filters would you want to have on or off by default?

Better to have everything on by default and leave it to the player to disable.

Are there any concerns about the new keyboard shortcuts?

M for the new pop-out map is fine, but Alt+M for the full map is not intuitive to me. I'll get used to it, but I wonder about new players potentially not realizing the "full" map exists without being told by someone else.

There are a lot of options for customizing your map overlay display. Did you have any issues setting these?

I use the interface editor pretty heavily, so no. All of this made sense to me.

Currently the mini-map turns off when the overlay is on. Did this create any issues with playability?

Not that I experienced.

Are there any maps you have found that are missing critical details?

Not yet
Will continue to explore and will edit if this changes.

Are there any map overlay settings you would like to see or don’t ever anticipate using?

I don't currently see the need for the "Mask" options on the map, but I'm glad they exist for players who might want them.

Edited by Crystal_Mind

On 11/10/2022 at 10:27 AM, JackieKo said:

What map filters would you want to have on or off by default?

fine by me

Are there any concerns about the new keyboard shortcuts?

would rather have world map still M,  I see we can just click the shortcut button, but it's easier to just press M.  Switching between overlay and mini map might want to have as  Alt+M instead,  it was easier for me just  switching using the button for overlay

There are a lot of options for customizing your map overlay display. Did you have any issues setting these?

I didn't have any issues, seems the same as the ones  with world map

Currently the mini-map turns off when the overlay is on. Did this create any issues with playability?

not at all, I like how it works

Are there any maps you have found that are missing critical details?

not yet, haven't seen any thing so far missing

Are there any map overlay settings you would like to see or don’t ever anticipate using?

as it is now, I'm satisfied, I'm sure later there might be something I can think of . .or not

I do miss the clock, would be nice to have that back

Edited by Achnaattwo
added a tiny bit

So more observant and wiser players than I seem to have found some good things to give feedback on and I hope the team considers each one. I will leave it to these more detail oriented comrades to appraise the team of such things. I just wanted to take a minute to pass on that I think the new UI changes coming in 7.2 are a job well done. I've spent the last hour or two in the interface editor tinkering with the new utility bars, their features, the mini map etc. VERY glad to see the current minimap (maximal) layout is available still (cuz us old timers like to keep what we've gotten used to lol) and very excited that, in addition, the new utility bar features and new popout map are all independent of this, so you can pick and choose and mix and match between the new and old elements. The ability to mix and reorder and add or subtract buttons on the utility bars is fantastic, very excited by this functionality and I will definitely be spending a lot of time tinkering with my UI when all these new features roll out. 

I think my favorite part so far is the popout map. It replacing the minimap when open was surprising, and I think it would be nice for there to be a toggle somewhere of engaging this function or not, but it didnt take long to adjust and adapt to it and I actually am very excited by it replacing the minimap when open to keep the UI a little less cluttered, a little cleaner, especially on those long drives when you've got the big map open to navigate. 

The team's attention to detail in how these UI revamps/additions have been executed is excellent. I am in love with all the new functionality and can't wait to tinker with it on the live servers. Hats off to everyone, well done, keep it up

I believe having  World map as default M is better. I couldn't  take it any longer doing the alt+M for world map and had to change the keybinding back to M.  The over lay is just bigger mini map, and I do like it, but  for sure it was easier to have it  back as it was, M for world map

• Like 1

My experience so far from using it on Ruhnuk:

• Map section labels are drawn seemingly random below the map. Just spamming "M", sometimes the labels are below the map.
  • On the new expanded map: clicking on entrances / area transitions is not possible. This would be very helpful for navigating the cavesystem on Ruhnuk.

On the old (Alt+M) Map:

• Coordinates shown for the player and mouse cursor are not the same if I hover over my exact position.
  • I'd like to have a less transparent mission tracker, as well as to be able save my choice to have the mission tracker open by default.

Overall I like the new map. I'm just missing some of the features that made my UX a lot better. Right now the map is fancy, but you can't really use it. That's why I saw myself use the Alt+M map a lot.

• Like 1

Visual Bugs on the Minimap

Using the flipped or inverted version of the minimap causes alignment issues when loading into a custom interface by default. THis affects both the new 'minmal' and old 'maximal' layouts. Alignment can be restored by manually switching to a default ui and then back to your preferred custom interface, but you have to do this every time you load into the character.

Minimal Minimap Alignment Issues
Maximal Minimap Alignment Issues

1 hour ago, _Sinrai_ said:

On the new expanded map: clicking on entrances / area transitions is not possible. This would be very helpful for navigating the cavesystem on Ruhnuk.

yeah, I experienced this too, so needed to switch to the alt+M map... makes that new map less functional

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it, but I did not know about or figure out the map customization options.  But the basic pressing M switching seemed to work well.  I wish I had figured out the Alt M thing though.  Next time I log into the PTS I will give it a whirl.

Under this heading... 

I found the symbols for where to look with the Macrobinoculs did not give any useful information.  Maybe they are in the wrong place?  Or maybe I just did not figure out the intent.

I like the new map. But 2 things I would ask/request. Let us remap the M key to the old map (for people that want that. couldn't find it myself.) And letting us use the ESC key to close the new map pop up. It is annoying having to click M again to close it.

New colors seem good too.

First off I love the new map revamp! it gives off a Jedi fallen order/ Metroid prime feel and looks great, fades nicely, zooms nicely. I like how you can zoom on the mini map separately from the expanded map. 

feedback questions:

1. I would leave everything toggled on by default.

2. I don’t seem to have any issues with the keyboard shortcuts other than (alt +M) isn’t bring up the main old style map. But I just added that as an option in the new little quick tan bar. 

3. I had no issues adjusting the display overlay.

4.  I noticed no issues when the overlay comes on and the minimap turns off. 

5. I have not noticed any missing critical details. However I see doors/paths on the new mini-map that highlight when I scroll over it but I can not click it to view the area ahead. It would be nice in my opinion to be able to click those and view the next area otherwise I’m just going to default back to the old map half the time. 

6. Answer above kinda of explains how I would like to be able to click and explore other areas in the mini-map not just the area I’m currently in.

• Sometimes the popout map doesn't change between areas. I'm not sure what causes this, it doesn't always happen.
  • I keep trying to click the "doorways" in the popout map, kind of like on the big map, expecting it to transition to the next area. For example, I don't know my way around Ruhnuk well, so I kept trying to click on the "green" doorways to see where my quest was leading - it gives visual feedback like it's clickable, but nothing happens (on the big map, it transitions to the next map through the door). I know others mentioned this, just wanted to say I experienced this too as I "played" more on PTS vs just doing a cursory look at the map.

I don't use any filter. In fact, I like to see what is there without having to open the big map or, having opened the big map, I want to see:

- vendors, mission characters or controls, taxis, 

Don't use any keyboard shortcuts except I, Z and P

• There are a lot of options for customizing your map overlay display. Did you have any issues setting these?

no issues using them, but I am at a loss: where is the clock? where is the connection quality feature? Then, why on earth did you put a bar that overlays the tool bars (when I use the advanced extended toolbars, centered at the bottom of the screen)?

• Currently the mini-map turns off when the overlay is on. Did this create any issues with playability?

Haven't noticed that yet

I'd like to have a scale (meter, feet, steps, whatever). The hexagones on maps do not refer to the same distances wheter on a local or planet size map , and to choose between going by taxi, fast travel or on mount should be easier if there were scales. 

• Are there any map overlay settings you would like to see or don’t ever anticipate using?

The thing that I found great is that I could take off the group finder, the pvp/pve toggle and other stuff that I never use. Otherwise, I would not ask anything more or less so that you could focus on more advanced players who use them or not

Biggest thing I've noticed about the minimap:  we can't "Scroll to Zoom" in or out anymore.  On Live server, if you put your mouse in there, you can scroll in/out as necessary (this can be helpful in some fights/ops/etc).

Right now in PTS, you have to manually click the + or - button...multiple times, to get where you want it.  It's more of a QoL thing.

Keep everything on, like others suggested.  Let the player decide if it's too much information, and then they'll learn how to turn it off.  But if someone new opens the map and it shows....nothing....well that's just silly.  You made all the vendors/speeders/etc, so I'm sure you want players to actually find and use them, lol.

Honestly didn't notice, except for "M".  I'll echo what others said:  keep "M" the old main "big" pop-out map by default.  And let the map overlay be the alternate option (or even have a little button on the mini-map). (I mean...I changed my keybinds instantly, but new peeps won't know to do it, and might not even know it exists). 

No issues.  Had to adjust the interface editor up a little to see all the options, but otherwise nah.

Didn't even notice this.  It makes sense, though, since it's basically an expanded mini-map that's put up on that side of the screen...but maybe someone has a problem with it that I can't foresee.

Critical? Not really.  The fog of war thing (or lack thereof) threw me off a minute, but kinda neat.  I think someone mentioned topographical stuff that the Live Server has right now, and I did notice that (and the blurry shapes/edges of the map were replaced by black/dark-blue nothing...looks a little worse/less detailed than before but it's not terrible). Images below for reference.

Old (Live): https://imgur.com/a/PrXuybF

New (PTS): https://imgur.com/a/BK9jWvc

Not really?  I do think the Icons for some things should still be on the screen somewhere by default, simply to show new players it's there (like PvP button, Groupfinder button, Starfighter (even though I don't use it personally), clock, connectivity/ping bars, and PvP/PvE toggle (it's a great quick reminder which instance you're in if you swap back and forth)).

Edit: SUPER POSITIVE THING!  I think that silly "missing vendors bug" that happens a lot on Live/Fleet map is gone!  If so, then GREAT job for squashing that bug! Let's hope so.....🤞

Edited by captainwesson
adding stuffz

It took me a while to work out how to put the icons back on the minimap.  For anyone else who's having a derp moment, it's the option "maximal" in the interface setting.

The area labels on the larger minimap interface are odd (they seem to sit behind everything else and are somewhat obscured (see this image).  I could not find a way to bring these labels forward/make them more prominent.

I like the prominent arrow on the minimap the indicates the player's location.

On entering a Stronghold, I get the "Exit Area" icon stuck to the top right (image link) of my interface and annoyingly this cannot be altered/customised.  Whatever it going on with this is a big NOPE from me.  Some of us prefer our interfaces the way have mine set up (not getting into a discussion - my reasons are my brain works with this set up).  Make this icon moveable please.

Edited by Sarova

I can read maps,  But I can't read maps  designed by nerds 😛

I saw I need to go north, so I take a tunnel  and head north . . I get out, look on the map . .WTH, I'm even further south :classic_blink:

I literally can't find my way around, just looking at the maps , I don't know where I'm going. I seem to keep going in small circles. when I should be going one direction.

It's like I am at 'A' need to go to 'C', but I got to go through 'B' to get there, but end up in 'A', sometimes 'F'

On the maximal map, it is no longer possible to click and drag "through" the map when it's transparent (while moving character), to move the camera. I hope that feature that has been on live for years will be fixed when 7.2 goes live.

Also the minimap needs to be able to be zoomed out/in while scrolling the mouse wheel when hovering over it.

I use those two features all the time. Other than that, the new minimal/maximal maps looks great and I really like all the customization options here.

First, I plan to basically exclusively use the new world map + utility bar, no more mini-map, but only if there is functional parity, which there currently is not. There is no map label on this form of the world map, so I have no way to know what region I'm in. Crucially, this also means I can't always tell if I'm in a Heroic Area if I have the world map open. This is displayed above the mini-map and at the top of the map window. It would also be nice if I could see my player coordinates on the world map somehow, but this isn't offered by the current mini-map, so it's less of a concern. Perhaps both could use a variation of the Phase Indicator element.

Second, it feels jarring to activate the quick-travel ability now since that map disappears.  Is it not possible to just fully integrate Quick Travel into the map so there's no more need for the ability? For people without the legacy perks or who are F2P, the cooldown timer could be shown somewhere on the map window instead. 

Edited by DarthEndonae
Clarity

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was previously, in the first build of this PTS (not sure if there have been additional builds since the first weekend, but I logged into PTS that first weekend and not since then until today) able to have the overlay visible AND the mini map visible simultaneously.   However, today when I logged back into PTS, I can't seem to do it.  I'd like to have the ability to have them both on at the same time.

There is one other request I would like to make.  The arrows at entrance ways / doorways on the overlay map always point up no matter how the overlay is rotated.  They don't stay perpendicular to the entrance way they're supposed to be pointing the path/direction to.

I've circled what I'm referring to in the linked pictures.

https://i.ibb.co/bKkjMd3/NS-stronghold-door-arrow-example-one.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wsPrpNF/NS-stronghold-door-arrow-example-two.jpg

https://ibb.co/hmSxJ8M

https://ibb.co/4dXg4Zn

For example, on live, this is how I usually have my screen set up.  

https://i.ibb.co/6FpY8BW/SWTOR-Live-map-picture-example.jpg

I have the planetary map open on screen 3 (I play on a triple screen setup at 5760x1080 resolution) and the character is centered on screen 2.  Screen 1 I generally ignore, it's for chat and group data on the rare occasion I'm in a group)

I'd LIKE to have the new map overlay take the place of the planetary map while keeping the mini map visible. 

I use the planetary map for general direction for the location of harvesting nodes, and can zoom in with the mini map for more detail if what I'm looking for isn't in an obvious location.

I've played with this layout for YEARS, and while it looks like I can still use it on PTS, the overlay, which rotates along with you, would be much nicer.

Edited by Darev

• 2 weeks later...