7.2 PvP Feedback

JackieKo

• Dev Post
  • Do you think you'll PvP more or less than you did before the update?
  • Do the rewards on the reward track make you want to PvP specifically to earn them?
  • Do you think you'll queue for 8v8 Warzones or 4v4 Arenas equally?
  • Do you feel the new Warzone medals will encourage objective play?
  • Is it clear how to earn PvP points and progress the Season reward track?
  • What is your overall impression of the changes to the PvP season system?
  • What do you like the most about the changes to the PvP season system?
  • What do you like the least about the changes to the PvP season system?
  • What is one change or adjustment you would like to make on the new PvP Season system, what would it be, and why?

If you had difficulties queueing, please answer the following: 

• How long were you waiting in the queue for?
  • What was your group composition? 
  • Can you confirm if all players who made up this group have PvP-ed in the past? 

EDIT: Added additional questions for queuing feedback. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Hey Jackie, I know this is a little off topic from what you're asking our feedback on. However, I would like to express my concern for the fact that old ranked rewards appear to be remaining at the Ranked Season Reward Vendor. I hope that those are simply place holders for the time being as if they remain, I feel as though it would undermine the efforts of those who have played Ranked over these last several years because if these Ranked items are now going to simply be purchased with PvP tokens, they lose their inherit value. So I just wish to know if these items are being removed at the start of PvP season one like how it was expected to be removed at the start of Ranked season 15? Thanks so much!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Do you think you'll PvP more or less than you did before the update?

Far less, if at all.

Do the rewards on the reward track make you want to PvP specifically to earn them?

No.

Do you think you'll queue for 8v8 Warzones or 4v4 Arenas equally?

No, if I queue for pvp at all it will be for 4v4 Arenas.

Do you feel the new Warzone medals will encourage objective play?

To be honest, probably not, but I won't be playing warzones anyway so I don't know.

Is it clear how to earn PvP points and progress the Season reward track?

Yes. It seems very participation based, which is not a good thing with the removal of ranked. If ranked wasn't removed, I would be fine with the Season reward track being participation/win based, but the fact that a top 3 pvper would be getting the same rewards as someone who sits afk in stealth the whole game is offensive to say the least.

What is your overall impression of the changes to the PvP season system?

Honestly, I think the PvP season system by itself is a good thing. It incentivizes regular/casual pvpers, and maybe some people who haven't pvped before, in to queuing for regs for seasonal rewards. I think it replacing ranked is completely offensive and should not be a thing.

What do you like the most about the changes to the PvP season system?

Like I said, I think the seasonal rewards do incentivize regular/casual players to pvp. That's about it however.

What do you like the least about the changes to the PvP season system?

1) It's participation based. There's no competitive rewards for a competitive gamemode.
2) Premades vs solo queued players in a 4v4 sounds very not fun. Additionally, if the matchmaking is anything like regs, where one team can have one or even 2+ healers/tanks while the other team has none, that is also a problem.
3) Again, this replacing ranked is offensive and will lead to many players, myself included most likely, leaving the game.

What is one change or adjustment you would like to make on the new PvP Season system, what would it be, and why?

Not removing ranked. I think the whole PvP Season system is completely fine as long as it's not flat out replacing ranked. What I would really like to see, and what would keep me in the game, is for Ranked to exist as it does currently, and have the Ranked seasons align with the PvP Season system seasons. I think the overdrawn seasons and preseasons of Ranked were a pretty big problem, and I would be glad to see them get shortened way down.

• Like 9

I won't PVP, playing without any stakes or any competitiveness is boring. 

Do the rewards on the reward track make you want to PvP specifically to earn them?

The season rewards are garbage, and even if they weren't, anyone AFKing in warzones can get them, so what's the point? There are great looking CM sets too, but when everyone wears them they lose their value.

I won't do PVP.

Probably I guess. I don't like warzones because they discourage PVP and encourage PVE.

Yes

Terrible. There is no incentive to actually play the game and get better. No competition, no leaderboard, no unique rewards for actually being a good player, just participation.

The good thing is there are rewards for playing regs PVP. Those players had no rewards for years. Everything else is bad.

Removing any form of competition and making every reward available just for participation.

What is one change or adjustment you would like to make on the new PvP Season system, what would it be, and why?

Have a game mode that is competitive.

Edited by Mycroft-Tarkin
  • Like 4

• About the same, maybe less. I used to stick to solo and team ranked, but team ranked has been nonexistent for idk how long, so I will probably stick to 4v4s when I PvP.

• Probably not -- I don't really care for the reward track design.

• Just 4v4s

• No

• I think so

• I suppose this had to happen at some point. Not terribly excited about it though.

• Maybe faster queue times for 4v4s? That remains to be seen though.

• Doesn't feel like PvP will be as competitive. Following the leaderboards and grinding for gold/top 3 was always my favorite part.

• If all these changes go through, I think it is imperative for 4v4s to remain solo queue only. Competitive team ranked hasn't happened in a long time and it would just need to go if this is the proposed design -- if groups want to queue against each other they can do challenges. I personally would still like to see an ELO attached to each queue, but it is w/e.
  • Remove neural trigger and carbonize from DPS powertechs.
  • Like 4

You want feedback? Go read the PvP Forums for once to see the hundreds of posts begging you not to make this change. 

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925950-my-thoughts-about-the-new-pvp-changes

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925927-72-leaderboard-request

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925926-removing-ranked-was-not-asked-for

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925830-please-walk-me-through-how-pvp-will-be-less-toxic-in-72/

These changes are awful. 

PvP rewards should be earned with skill, not grinded through playtime.  

Edited by septru
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is an awful PvP system. With the removal of ranked, there is no reward for skill or improvement. All this will do is turn the mode into an afk session, and the mode will slowly die over time.

13 hours ago, JackieKo said:
  • Do the rewards on the reward track make you want to PvP specifically to earn them?
  • What is one change or adjustment you would like to make on the new PvP Season system, what would it be, and why?

I might not PvP at all after these changes.

The rewards I can take or leave, personally.

I would've done both if participation awards weren't a thing.

No, I don't, because participation awards will encourage afking.

Yes, it is clear.

Overall impression is overly negative. With the new system, pvp will die. If there's no incentive to get better or win, then it'll turn into a dead mode. The rewards should be based on how often you win, not if you participate. The removal of ranked is also a very bad idea. There are those out there like myself who want to improve and go through a mode to climb a leaderboard. Removing it doesn't hurt the casual crowd, it just makes the hardcore crowd upset.

I like that you can queue for 4v4 or 8v8. That is a nice change.

I hate that there are participation awards, and I hate that ranked is removed.

If I were to change anything, it would be two simple things: don't remove ranked, and do no offer participation rewards. Base the rewards off of wins. If there's no incentive to winning, there's no incentive to playing. People will simply afk in the mode for their free rewards. People will simply park their character, set them on auto-run(or stealth) and go find something else to do.

EDIT: I'll just add one last thing. I'm a new player. I started playing less than a month ago. I love pvp, and I think the combat in this game is very engaging. Very few MMOs nowadays have a good, dedicated system set aside for ranked, or hell, even PvP for that matter. Even if they do, it's usually an afterthought. I'll be honest---I think the game is a ton of fun, but being the PvP person I am, this game scratched the itch I've been looking for for a long time. If ranked PvP is removed, I'll be leaving the game permanently. The PvE is decent, but not good enough to warrant me sticking around.

Edited by RyockVermat
  • Like 2

More at first to see how the changes affect everything.

Nope, PvP has never been about rewards to me. PvP is the sole reason I PvP

No, 4v4's have always been boring. 8v8 is all I will que for

It will encourage the average player yes, but not myself as map control is really how you win in 8s.

Yes

I like the ideal, I don't like the rewards that are offered. None of them feel worth while.

Rewards for 8s

None of the rewards are something I would want.

Some type of skill ranking system for 8's and 4's. It could be an optional opt in system, but PvP is mostly about flexing on others. Let those of us who want to compete in a ladder system do so. Do not limit it only to 4's getting a ladder/skill tier system. That is what killed pvp guilds. Many players prefer 8s to arenas and miss the competitive days of Ranked 8s,

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Lots more.

Yes.

8v8. Never liked 4v4, don't know anybody who does tbh.

Hopefully!

Yes.

Took too long to arrive, but the changes are brilliant. Finally have a reason to play regular warzones again.

Cosmetic rewards being re-introduced to regular warzones rather than being reserved for the tiny number of ranked players. Used to enjoy grinding warzones for gear sets back in the old days.

Don't really have any issue. Been wanting this for a while.

As above, this is a welcome change. Atm there's nothing that jumps to mind that could be improved. These changes will revive PvP in a big way, so thanks to the team for implementing them! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Other than watching the VOD of the livestream, you have posted no information on the PvP changes that I can find.  Can we please get something in written format to clarify instead of having to re-watch the VOD to try and think about what changes you're making?

• Do you think you'll PvP more or less than you did before the update? Probably less or the same amount (not frequently)
  • Do the rewards on the reward track make you want to PvP specifically to earn them? Haven't looked, but I'm rarely interested in this stuff anyways
  • Do you think you'll queue for 8v8 Warzones or 4v4 Arenas equally? 8v8 only.  I don't see myself doing 4v4 with the proposed changes
  • Do you feel the new Warzone medals will encourage objective play? I don't know what encourages objective play when people don't care about winning and would rather just kill farm in the current state of PvP.
  • What is your overall impression of the changes to the PvP season system? It feels like you're taking away the core feature of PvP being player vs player and moving towards "play this game mode if you want shiny objects"  I don't fully understand other than to agree the previous random implementation of ranked seasons with big gaps was a cause for concern to many PvP players.  Having consistency will be good.  Having competitive players with non-competitive players doesn't sound good.
  • Like 1

More 4v4 because PvP should be based around killing other players and not Obj.
    No because the only thing worth getting are the tokens, if you're able to buy old Ranked gear (Which should be removed entirely if Ranked itself is being removed)
    No because as stated before 8v8s are focused around Obj which is not a good example of player skill in PvP. Where as 4v4 allows people to actually test their skill against other players. 
    No, because once again. No need for Obj.
    Yes, you just go into Wz and do the bare minimum to progress. Requiring no skill just participation.
    A horrid transition to a more casual play but I hope some competitive things can grow from this. 
    I like the idea of the PvP seasons but I do not enjoy the fact that you may intend to keep old Ranked gear for regular Pvpers when it strips away the value of those old Ranked sets. I also enjoy the fact that I can Q 4v4 with like minded people.
    I dislike the fact that Ranked was entirely removed for a more casual playstyle. However, my main concern is your disregard for Old Ranked items which should be removed as you stated it would be at the start of season 15. 
    Much like how the first galactic season had old PvE/Sub items. I suggest bringing back OLD REG pvp gear. Like Centurion/Battlemaster/Recruit ect. . .Because even though they have value to those who got them in the past. They are not as valuable as Old RANKED gear.
  • Like 2

• Less, since before I was playing ranked for myself in solo queue and then I was playing casually with my friends in Warzones. Now I would be less interested to play that I don't have choice to compete in Ranked with players who I believe to be a good level of competition. I am also really afraid about the 4v4 arenas letting premade queue, it's impossible for a solo player to have fun in 4v4 against premades
    • No, I am not interested in any rewards other than playing against players who want to compete and playing with friends in wz
    • I will not queue 8v8 warzones. I am not sure if I will queue 4v4 if premades are not separated with solo queue with Heal/Tank in their own categories (T vs T; H vs H).
    • No
    • A lot of my ranked friends want to leave and it's just sad. Im sad that 4v4 solo is removed, I would rather have 4v4 to be solo with strict H/T divisions from DPS games. Overall, I don't see a point in playing if it's not fair for all players and premades have advantage. I highly suggest to not remove ranked so I have a choice as a player

P.S. Just found out on PTS server you can not see anyone but yourself in the leaderboards. What is that? Please fix and give us leaderboard back.
Edited by IArkeniusI
  • Like 3

• Certainly less. These PvP changes are atrocious. 
    • No, it certainly will not incentivise me to play PvP. Any PvP rewards should be achieved through PvP grind, not by credits.
    • I'll not queue anymore warzones or Arenas after these changes are implemented because of Ranked's removal. 
    •  No.
    • Do not remove Ranked PvP esp Solo ranked and Flags. Any MMO that has PvP should have competitive PvP as well. I don't see why you are removing ranked makes zero sense. The ranked PvP is one of the best and most enjoyable PvP modes in this game. 
Edited by HahaGetRekt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Probably about the same as before.

Being able to completely filter out Arenas is a step in the right direction but it would be even better if we could also choose which warzones we get.

If it would work like Flashpoints where the weekly only progresses if everything is selected there would still be an incentive to do so but sometimes I'm only really interested in one or two specific warzones and relying on RNG to get them is not much fun.

• Like 3

These changes make me so happy! Especially the ones removing solo ranked from the game, this is a step in the right direction. As a side note, can all flairs be removed from characters too? Maybe make them into stronghold decorations, like you did for flags.

Much love xxx,

Excindus

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I won't pvp at all if this goes through. I'll be unsubbing and uninstalling.

The rewards on the track have absolutely 0 significance. There is no skill required to get any of them.  You could write a bot that would afk those matches, and eventually you would get all of the rewards. The fact that you can buy all of these rewards with credits is completely against the competitive spirit of pvp. Rewards are supposed to be earned with effort and skill, not given out after a billion credits. A billion credits is worthless now, its not even worth a single gold augment. All this will do is encourage credit sellers and discourage players from getting better.

I prefer 4v4s, but if these changes go through I won't be playing at all. These changes spit in the face of the entire pvp community.

These changes will kill the pvp scene if they go through. If you care at all about competitive swtor pvp, do not make these changes. This is the worst possible change you could make to pvp. Ranked is the only reason a good portion of pvpers even play this game. Even playing regs for alot of players was preparation for the ranked season. Removing ranked and the unique rewards associated with high level play will absolutely remove all incentives to play the game. Alot of pvpers don't care for the story or whatever new daily area gets implemented. 

There is nothing good about the pvp season system. All this will do is remove any incentive to pvp anymore. The rewards are pitifully bad. The armor sets look horrible, but I'm sure you guys already know that. 

Everything about this is horrible. If these changes go through you will have all of the ranked pvpers leaving the game. The only people left will be new players that que without gear and augments and objers that do nothing but cap a node and afk on their phones. You will alienate the entire skill-based pvp community this.  The worst part is that you're removing flags which was the biggest reason why people even pvped to begin with. People worked for years to improve and struggle through solo and granked even after you guys made it even more difficult to earn ranks by increasing the win requirements. This is a massive middle finger to all the time and dedication we spent to get rankings.

Bring back ranked pvp, and make it so you can choose to que in ranked 4v4s, unranked 4v4s, and unranked 8v8s.

What's astounding is the fact that this change was even brought to the table. It really goes to show that you guys are completely out of touch with the ranked community.  This is the most close-minded solution I've ever seen developers bring in a game. Who ever brought this forward actually needs to be fired.

• Like 5

I will PVP much less since I liked 4v4 and 8v8 in unranked together and also much much less if ranked pvp players that want to compete and view the game more seriously express their frustation of the game in unranked since their choice just got removed. 

Yes and No, I play pvp because i like it and then the rewards are a bonus. If pvp gets worse than it is now, no amount of reward will make me want to play.

Most likely to queue in 4v4 in a premade team and not to much solo. In 8v8, more likely to queue when im solo playing. 

Lazy! The changes are basically not significant. Ranked is getting removed which makes the game have less options which is not good. There is no significant change, because nothing significant got added besides new map. The changes are lazy and they will make more people stop playing.

The removal of flagging is a good change since it reinforces a less toxic environment. A less toxic enviroment means that more people will want to play and try to do ranked without getting themsleves in petty dramas. They will focus on learning and not on wanting to trashtalk their teammates. 

The removal or ranked! Ranked should exist. It allows people that want to compete and test their skills to find individuals with similar mindset. Every other change in 7.2 can also co-exist with ranked. It is pointless to remove it and it also gives less options to unranked players that may want to try it and see the difference in playstyle and skill.

More rewards and more loot. It should give more tech fragments for example. One story mode operation gives 2k that takes 10-20minutes, and WZs and arenas (15/15)  takes much more  time to complete and is way harder than a story mode operation and thus should give more. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JackieKo said:

1. I'll be switching to raiding full time if you guys go through with this

2. I wouldn't even pay cartel coins for them

3. Nope

4. Nope the damage farmers are gonna harass objective players at an all time hight now

5. There's very little things to actually do so yeah it's super clear

6.  Great idea to make regs worth doing but deleting ranked to make it happen was a stupid idea

7.  It encourages new people to try out pvp

8. You're punishing an entire community because you don't wanna manage ranked anymore.

9. Put ranked back

• Like 3

-I'll definitely PVP less, 100% considering the simple fact you removed the entire competitive scene from the game.

-No, I don't mind the battle pass idea. It's not awful but these rewards hardly compare to the old ranked rewards.

-Yes, I 100% support the separation of q's into 8v8 and 4v4, not a bad idea. HOWEVER, why would you not divide 4v4's into solo player q's and a group 4v4 where you can only q with 2+ players. Easily fixes solo players struggling with premades.

-No, the new medals won't "encourage" objective play. In fact, I think you're update will discourage objective play. You've removed Solo Ranked which means all the ranked players who haven't been playing objective whenever they q regs for the last 5 years will just be qing into 8v8's and 4v4's to number farm smh. You've actually increased the # of people who want to number farm incidentally with this update.

-Yes.

-This is by far the dumbest gameplay and financially decision as a SWTOR Development Team that you could have possibly made. SHAKE MY HEAD. Soley from an economic perspective, you have lost the roughly 150ish players who sub to just play Solo Ranked. THAT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN ECONOMICALLY DO ON A GAME THIS SMALL. On top of that a majority of those 150ish players are long-term subs, these are people subbing month after month to play only Solo Ranked. Gameplay wise, you've removed the entire competitive scene. There is no need to improve at the game, it lowers the overall interest in playing the game when you can literally just credit farm to get PvP rewards. 

-The update wasn't completely a failure in terms of increasing interest, the seasons idea isn't bad to increase players in regs. Also, the separation of 8v8's and 4v4's was a step in the right direction. However, there should be a group 4v4 and a solo 4v4, so that premades don't just stomp every 4v4 match.

-The biggest issue personally is the remove of ranked, and mainly the removal of elo. I also hate the fact that banners, which is the main reason I started doing ranked a season ago has become nothing but a decoration for a stronghold, something I don't use anyways. I don't like the fact that rather then fix the current problems, (boring meta, OP classes, lame gear differentiation, toxicity, I.E) that our dev team went ahead and removed the entire competitive nature of the game. There was no higher competition then high-level team ranked, and high level solo ranked. However, my biggest issue is that the reasons all of these things were removed were just because IT'S EASIER FOR THE DEV TEAM. It's so lame that I pay a sub every month just to have the dev team who's salary I help fund, say "let's take the easy way out". The removal of competitive play will not fix the toxicity in raids, it won't fix the argubaly more apparent toxicity in regs, or pvp chat which are both more apparent then the minor messages in Solo Ranked.

THIS SECTION I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH

-One thing I'd fix about the updates proposed is the addition of Elo in every single game mode, and taking the previously ranked rewards and apply it to the 4v4's and 8v8's. I've made an entire forum post already dedicated to this. (https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925524-fixing-swtors-pvp-problem/#comment-9725205). This would drastically increase OBJ play in 8v8's, and still incentivize ranked players to continue playing to reach a high level. Due to everyone playing for elo, the player base would massively increase solving all the current problems you have within the ranked scene (throwing, win trading, targeted toxicity i.e). Take the ranked elo that you have already set in place for solo/team ranked and implement that into 4v4's and 8v8's. If everyone is playing for elo, no one is playing for elo except for the people who actually care about playing at a high-competitive level. I quite litteraly cannot see how this would work PERFECTLY into the proposed changes and also fix the massive backlash from pvp community.

Please, at least take 5 minutes out of your day to read this. The financial and gameplay loss on TOR's end will be massive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Preface before we get to the actual questions: Removing ranked is an UNGODLY ABYSMAL idea. First, competitive PvP against other players is literally the only enjoyable thing in this game for many players. Literally all but 3 raids are 10 years old, new flashpoints do not come out and when they do they are literally suffering to play and universally avoided, and heroics aren't fun for anyone. We understand that your studio doesn't get a lot of money for a 10-year-old game, so you can't churn out a lot of content. That's fine. But removing the entire ability for players to create their own content by competing against one another kinda renders your game worthless once you've completed all the content in it (which many players have, since yanno, it's been out for close to eleven years now.) The PvP Revamp was meant to address and correct the systematic issues that plague Ranked and Regs PvP and seriously discourage participation in both. I know you can do better than "the problem is that they exist." If you need more time that's fine, just don't publish the update, or simply delay it. No one will blame you, and it may actually be the first time you studio has gone back on a terrible decision instead of doubling down, which is an enormous sign of growth.

Before you say your "good riddance ranked PvPers" piece, please note that this problem will dramatically affect casual gameplay as well. You will drive off a large portion of the ranked population instantly, yes, maybe even up to 90%. I'm sure subscriptions are already being cancelled. But those that remain will be playing your new merged PvP modes, and they will TERRORIZE causal PvPers. Consider the circumstances: the ranked community is fairly tight-knit, composed of essentially a few different groups of friends. These people will run together in groups, since there is no incentive to queue solo, and they will be incensed at the deletion of ranked, which they blame on unskilled casual players. Now you place them into a PvP warzone against these players. Suffice it to say the resultant toxicity will be horrifying. I know you've anticipated this issue by removing flags from the game, but it's pennies on the dollar--between emotes, toy flags from the cartel market, and literally just the chat itself, there are unlimited avenues for toxic expression. Even failing that, however, there is no requirement for toxicity or communication at all in order to produce a miserable casual experience if, for example, ranked premade just spawn traps the entire team and denies them their ability to play the game. The skill disparity between new ranked players and experienced ones was already too great a barrier to entry, and the disparity between experienced ranked players and new regs players is a hundred times that.

As the poster above me noted, there is an extremely easy fix to this problem, where you just add ELO matchmaking and rewards to both 4s and 8s, and everyone is satisfied--objective players, deathmatchers, casuals, ranked players. You can even conceal the number while it is below a certain tier (say, bronze or silver) to allow casual players to play without worrying about it, and be pleasantly surprised if they do well enough to become rated.

Now, answering these assuming the update will go live without any form of rating system or rewards:

8 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Zero. I will quit and unsubscribe immediately.

Not in the slightest. I would honestly pay money to keep that spam OUT of my inventory. I hate to break it to you, but flairs, titles, and mounts are quite literally the only rewards worth playing for. And they have to be REALLY cool for that to work (like, the number being on fire next to your name, perhaps?)

Yes. Zero = zero.

No, medals don't encourage anything. The way to encourage objective play is with an 8v8 rating system that rewards based on performance.

Overwhelmingly clear and disappointing.

Catastrophic and horrible. See the preface paragraph.

They can easily be merged into an "everybody has ELO so nobody cares about ELO" system, which is what the game actually needs. The promised land is so close, but we are in the Valley of Death with these changes right now.

No competitive aspect at all. I can put a rock on my keyboard and do as well as actually playing.

Add a rating system, in which rating starts being displayed when you reach a certain tier. Keep the role balancing system which is currently used in ranked arenas (and maybe adapt it for 8v8s as well). Add end-of-season rewards, or even rolling rewards, for reaching each tier.

• Like 7

Less. An MMO without competitive PVP, particularly a 10 year old MMO that's already struggling to stay relevant content-wise, is a dead MMO walking. While regs can be a fun, off-season activity on occasion, eliminating ranked competition just creates stagnancy in the one area that is self-rejuvenating, the player base itself.

Yes, and no. Obviously, any reward is more than you had before, but the concept designs at present are underwhelming at best and ugly at worst. The idea of a participation reward track in and of itself isn't bad, however. There is certainly precedence for this in other MMOs. The difference is, there's a long term reward track based on participation AND ranked rewards. Two separate type of rewards tracks to appeal to more of the player base. Of course, both sets of rewards are worth having and while the ranked versions can only be earned doing ranked content, the participation versions are earned both ways, which makes sense.

Unlikely. I prefer 4s to begin with, as the  8v8 objectives are actually closer to PVE content than PVP, and with most of my friends leaving due to the end of ranked PVP in this game, I can't see myself wanting to deal with what could potentially be an 8-man premade or a double premade, the latter of which is already common on at least one of the remaining servers. Honestly, I like to premade as much as the next guy. I play an MMO to play with friends. And while I realize the community doesn't really have the players to support this now, separating premade queues and solo queues would probably also have been good for both sides of that argument.

I feel they will encourage players who were already interested in objective play to try harder and be even more toxic with each other when they think someone doesn't do well enough, instead of being toxic toward players who aren't playing objectively. I don't think they're going to encourage non-objective players to suddenly change their playstyle to get them. Particularly since the reward concepts we've seen aren't exactly spectacular.

Yes.

I think it's terrible. To be frank, many of us have been hanging on for this last year with muted hope that the promised PVP revamp would mean improvements for the PVP community. Changes aren't necessarily improvements though, as we're seeing here. As a side of the SWTOR community that feels largely overlooked, giving us less content instead of more and trying to assuage that with a new map and some participation items, isn't the way to improve PVP. I do think the team is on to some good ideas here and there, but they're being diminished by the abject removal of the competitive experience.

I like the implementation of 4/8-man queue options and I like the implementation of participation reward tracks for non-ranked players and the idea that players can choose objective-based play or arena play. Also, honestly removal of the leaderboard is probably a good thing. 

I hate that the plan is to remove competitive/ranked PVP from the game. I hate that the impression I'm getting is that these decisions made to foster positivity and discourage toxicity are based on the idea it only exists in the ranked community, when it is prevalent throughout the game. As a player who participates in all aspects of SWTOR, I see toxic interactions as bad or worse in PVE and regular PVP game play as I do in ranked. It happens in raids, flashpoints, even open world objectives. There's no perfect fix, but the closest answer is moderation of harassment/blacklisting/camping/etc. Not the dissolution of ranked.

I would keep ranked, but continue to add the regular warzone reward track and the 4/8-man queue choices because it would retain the most players and still move toward a healthier community build, which seems to be the goal. However, with that in mind, the match-making system could really use a look too. The system should never be putting together mostly ranged 8 man teams against mostly melee teams or four of one class on one team unless the queue is dead. 
Edited by -Garmonbozia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JackieKo said:

• Honestly, the reasoning to push myself to be better in reg pvp was to get to ranked. Without that ranked system, or a form of a ranking system, I have nothing to achieve. Participation rewards are not achievement. People want hard content, thats why Elden ring is so popular, people enjoy hard content.
    • no, the outfits aren't particularly exciting. the rewards are too easy to achieve and aren't flashy enough to match the time sink.
    • No, I will que for the one with the best reward vs time sink
    • unless the system scales rewards based on medals, and the medals are tough to achieve. People will do the easy possible method to get what they want. Medals need to mean something more than just a number in a particular match. 
    • Its clear, but not exciting in its current iteration. The excitement would come if maybe to progress the progression system you had to achieve a certain amount of medals. Then make those medals a hurdle to achieve, and then have a ranking system for those who perform the best. After you have the ranking system, implement rewards that show others that these people have earned their medals through skill.
    • The changes seem very out of touch with the audience they are aimed at. In mmo's there will always be a revolving door of players, every mmo has and will have this problem. These changes seem to cater to those who play pvp casually. The changes alienate those who want a system they have to work hard at. Players want hard mountains to climb that they might not achieve. There needs to be pvp changes that reward those who can perform at the top 10%. When there is no reason to push yourself in a particular game mode, you alienate the player base that is constantly playing pvp to get better. The removal of ranked, without a version of ranked taking its place, shows a lack of insight into the games pvp community. For clarification, the pvp community isnt the occasional unranked player. 
    • The best move in this was the separation of 4v4 and 8v8 ques. That part was great. I love arenas but I'm not good enough for ranked yet. The separate que for 4v4 gives me the avenue to reach that next level. Unfortunately, that next level is disappearing. 
    • There is no area of the game where those who are serious about high level pvp performance can compete. This was ranked pvp. 
    • Reimplement ranked ques, and its associated ranking system.

I recognize I am not the most talented at pvp, I am one of those trying to brake through the wall between unranked and ranked. But a game mode such as ranked is an achievement and mountain I want to climb. SWTOR has a solid pvp set up already. The changes that need to be made are to more basic issues than getting rid of ranked mode. SWOTR needs new pvp maps and game types (even if its a simple 8v8 deathmatch unranked). Bolster needs to be reworked for pvp, and a reason to get pvp gear specifically (a pvp stat would help this). Certain classes need to be tweaked up to par, and some need to be tweaked down to par (I understand this will always be an issue whenever there are multiple people playing with each other). 

Lastly, dont be afraid to steal ideas. If something works for another game, take it! Take it, tweak it to make it your own. Ill say it again, SWTOR has some of the best pvp systems already, dont ruin it by taking away the pvp hardmode (i.e Ranked).

Love ya cats, thank you for your hard work, Peace!

• Like 2

• Do you think you'll PvP more or less than you did before the update? depends on how badly this patch kills the pvp community, it will be fun to farm kids in regs and they cant tell us to go back to ranked anymore as you took it away. this will just encourage afkers who are just here for the daily "cause i need to be"
  • Do the rewards on the reward track make you want to PvP specifically to earn them? no
  • Do you think you'll queue for 8v8 Warzones or 4v4 Arenas equally? depends on what gets more pops and is more competitive sounds like this will chase off any pvpers still left
  • Do you feel the new Warzone medals will encourage objective play? lol objs the reason why kids dont bother to learn their classes cause they just wanna stand around and not do anything usefull but click glowy button making matches lopsided and then complaining about how X class is imbalanced cause they have no idea what they are doing or why they get globaled clicking or standing at obj pop a dcd whats that lol
  • Is it clear how to earn PvP points and progress the Season reward track? who cares
  • What is your overall impression of the changes to the PvP season system? a joke so much for a pvp inspired update more like a slap in the face to pvpers
  • What do you like the most about the changes to the PvP season system? lol
  • What do you like the least about the changes to the PvP season system? has your team ever even pvped? every expansion i think it cant get worse yet here we are
  • What is one change or adjustment you would like to make on the new PvP Season system, what would it be, and why? make  combat based 8v8's like in gsf where its based off kills/ team death match. it will  force people to actually learn to play their class and survive and make the games actually fun not running simulator or chain throw to stealth bore fests. reward the pvp not the ignoring pvp to do stupid objs. and no objs are not hard if the pvp focused players who are farming decide to do the obj we can take it every time its just not fun at all

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Probably about the same (2 days a week when I stream)? We'll see I guess.

Eh, not really. The trophy deco's look weird and the outfits are pretty meh IMO. I don't like the helmets or baggy pants.

Probably not. I've always preferred Warzones over Arenas (in every MMO I've played I've always preferred large-scale over small-scale PvP encounters). Although I'm sure my community will make me queue for them occasionally. 😂

I haven't seen warzone medals yet (only arena ones). But not all of us want to play objectively or care about objectives. We want to see big numbers on the scoreboard at the end of the match plain and simple. 😄 

Yep.

There's no challenge, it's just a fluff rewards system nothing to really drive competition. Would have much rather seen a leader board system that rewards effort and skill. Kind of silly that people will be able to lose their way to the rewards.

I guess it's nice that you can get stuff regardless of what type of PvP you like (ie. no longer just arenas)? But also see above....

I don't like that you can catch up with credits. That needs to be removed. I would be open, however, to the catch up currency being warzone commendations instead. That way the rewards are at least still only going to people who PvP. Could you imagine if I could get rewards from PvE content just by paying credits without even doing any PvE? Why should PvE only players be able to get PvP rewards with credits when they don't PvP? This isn't galactic seasons where you can pick and choose the content you do. There is only content path for the rewards (PvP) and you should have to participate in that content (PvP) to get the rewards, not use credits to catch up.

Add leader boards. I've always wanted to see 8v8 ranked come back so I can have larger scale competitive mode in this game. But alas we got fluff instead.

Even though I stopped doing ranked many years ago (cause again, I don't like arenas) it's sad to see a competitive mode taken out of the game. Wish there had been some kind of compromise, like leader boards, introduced. They're generally a little less sweaty but still encourage some competition (and wouldn't require as much moderation). Even PvP events that gave us a week of competition that rewards wins, high damage, high heals etc. with special rewards would have been an okay compromise. Like PvE has so many repeatable events why can't PvP have one or two? 

Something else that would've been nice to see is a new warzone map (either a new mode or Novare Coast reskin) or even an 8v8 deathmatch mode. 😢