Crew Skills and Companions Question

LordSinfury

Hello all,

Just returned to the game recently and actually trying to get my crafting up on all my characters since I never really got into crafting before when I played years ago.

Yes I am aware crafting sucks now and is not worth it, I have read lot about it and how it really isn't worth it but because I play solo mostly and don't know anyone in game and hate asking guild for everything I need I want to be self sufficient.  

So my question is crew skill bonuses that each companion has back in the day gave bonuses to missions and the crafting skill they were good at.  Is this still a thing nowadays on each companion because people on fleet were telling me that as long as you have influence at 50 you will be fine then I had someone tell me that bonuses were a thing.  I read the lore log on my current companions and did not see any mention about bonuses.

TLDR Is crew bonuses to missions/crafting still a thing or is it strictly infuence now?  Can any character learn any type of crew skill without min/maxing?

Thank you for any help/feedback

5 hours ago, LordSinfury said:

Just returned to the game recently and actually trying to get my crafting up on all my characters since I never really got into crafting before when I played years ago.

So my question is crew skill bonuses that each companion has back in the day gave bonuses to missions and the crafting skill they were good at.  Is this still a thing nowadays on each companion? because people on fleet were telling me that as long as you have influence at 50 you will be fine

then I had someone tell me that bonuses were a thing.  I read the lore log on my current companions and did not see any mention about bonuses.

TLDR Is crew bonuses to missions/crafting still a thing or is it strictly infuence now? 

Can any character learn any type of crew skill without min/maxing?

hi there, i believe BOTH ^  things are true...to some degree.

Crafting in general was most def.  nerfed/ruined/destroyed  by BioWare a couple of updates ago (with 6.0 , iirc? ) .  Just so tragic. :(

Anyways.... see these 2 other threads about  'Crew Skills in 7.0' https://forums.swtor.com/topic/914689-so-nothing-for-crew-skills-in-70/ 

as well as: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/922726-crew-skill-still-revelant-with-lvl-cap-increase/  .... to which i think the answer is YES as in only companion *influence to 50*  actually has, well, a noticeable influence anymore.

HOWEVER, now we also have 'Guild PERKS' , depending upon how high level the guild is and whether or not your GM activates the crafting perk during that particular 30-day window it's available (game rotates them automatically/randomly) .

The rumor is that the next big update (7.2)  is gonna be mostly about  PVP & Crafting.  We shall see.

In the meantime, for your reading pleasure, check out this awesome guide from the good ole days:  https://forums.swtor.com/topic/113090-guide-companion-crew-skill-bonuses-picking-the-best-crew-skills-for-your-class/   ... :ph_love_this:

7 hours ago, LordSinfury said:

So my question is crew skill bonuses that each companion has back in the day gave bonuses to missions and the crafting skill they were good at.  Is this still a thing nowadays on each companion

No.  That disappeared with 4.0 in 2015.

because people on fleet were telling me that as long as you have influence at 50 you will be fine

Pretty much.

then I had someone tell me that bonuses were a thing.

Whoever said that was wrong.  In fact, those bonuses were eliminated at less than 40% of the game's current age.

Can any character learn any type of crew skill without min/maxing?

You can, indeed, use any crafting skill on any character without worrying about anything, although Artifice (crystals, dyes, hilts, lightsabres) is slightly more useful (on a "craft for own use" basis) for Force Users than Gun users, and Armstech (guns, barrels, techblades and techstaffs, some flavours of augment) is of very limited use for Force Users.

27 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Whoever said that was wrong.  In fact, those bonuses were eliminated

As i mentioned in my reply above ^^ ,  whomever the random/vague Fleet  they  was might've been talking about  'guild perks'  though, no?

( i'm our GM and i know at least a few of my guildmates  ask me every couple weeks to get certain  guild perk  crafting bonuses for Crew Skills crafting )

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

As i mentioned in my reply above ^^ ,  whomever the random/vague Fleet  they  was might've been talking about  'guild perks'  though, no?

Possible, for sure, but people hang on to out-dated "knowledge" (e.g. each class companion has a specific bonus for certain crew skills) for much longer than it is worth anything.