Devs: I sub for the STORY. Can we get an update on when more story is likely?

Sarova

To expand on the title, the only reason I stay subbed is for the story.  I'm a solo player (no interest in guilds, grouping for ops, constant group FPs or serious PvPing).  Story is my main interest and we've not really had an immersive and continuous story since KotET. 

Will we be getting any main story content before the end of the year?  The smidgens of story we've had this year have mostly been over far too quickly. Everything else available to a solo player is currently repeat grind of the daily area(s) but no incentive to do so (gear for a solo player is not an incentive - for me I only bother with decent gear on my main - the 70+ others can do with green drops) and I'm maxed on all but 2 reputations).  I'm still subbed but haven't been logging in because there's nothing new for me to do.  

If more story is unlikely before the end of the year, it would be good to know.  If 7.1.1 is the last content update of the year that's fine; it would be good to know this though.

Players who are NOT interested in story content, please stay out of this thread.

• Like 11

I don't have an answer, just speculation, but GS3 will probably add a new companion with a few conversations. There also might be one of those short conversations at the Alliance base. This is just based on what they did during Onslaught. A number of updates didn't add proper story but still had a new conversation. If it does have a short conversation, it will probably be discussing plans with Shae Vizla about Heta Kol, nothing major.

Proper story won't be until 7.2. There's no way they are getting that out until 2023. Not with 7.1.1 releasing in November/December. I doubt developers will respond. If they say there are no major story updates for the rest of the year, people will end their subscriptions. It's bad for business.

5 hours ago, Sarova said:

To expand on the title, the only reason I stay subbed is for the story.

why, exactly? there hasn't been explicit subscription requirements for post-expansion-launch story content for a long time

if the only reason you subscribe is for the new expansions then that's the only time you need to subscribe

5 hours ago, Sarova said:

(no interest in guilds, grouping for ops, constant group FPs or serious PvPing)

really sounds like your time (and money) would be better spent on a game that's far more suited to your desires, especially if you're deliberately not engaging in the overwhelming majority of content in this one

• Like 1

There are other things available only to subs if for example you like to craft outfits or crystals etc. For story play. I personally don't mind dailies, WB groups, and occasional VET FP's; but that's the limit of what I physically can do. I also craft for my guilds. But the reason I  do that is I love the STORY and World of TOR and it's too small right  now.

11 hours ago, recalcitrantIre said:

why, exactly? there hasn't been explicit subscription requirements for post-expansion-launch story content for a long time

if the only reason you subscribe is for the new expansions then that's the only time you need to subscribe

really sounds like your time (and money) would be better spent on a game that's far more suited to your desires, especially if you're deliberately not engaging in the overwhelming majority of content in this one

I think my question about story future is valid and you are right to some extent - I'm really asking if there's a point to staying subbed to keep my characters up-to date with the story ready for any new story that is coming.  We were promised this "exciting" story in 7.0+ so I kept subbing hoping for it but we're nearly end of the year and nothing.  I'll say that I've never seriously grouped for anything because it's just never been a style of play I like (and I've played this since beta).

GS is definitely not story it's just more grind for stuff (which I generally do).  There was always something story-related for me to do (variations of class running original story and beyond).  However, I'm at the point where I've mostly exhausted all of that.  

I did not consider un-subbing from swtor as the non-subbed game is dire after you've played subbed. Maybe you have the right idea though; quit and only comeback when there is a substantial story update.  As a side note, my favourite of all wow expansions wotlk classic is back so maybe that's where I should be (last time I said something similar I was sent to forum jail for 48hrs😆).

Edited by Sarova
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sarova said:

I'm really asking if there's a point to staying subbed to keep my characters up-to date with the story ready for any new story that is coming.

once again there hasn't been a necessity for active subscription for story content unless its a new expansion for quite a while now

if you unsub now you'll be fine until 8.0

17 hours ago, Sarova said:

I did not consider un-subbing from swtor as the non-subbed game is dire after you've played subbed.

not playing 99% of the game does sound pretty dire, subscribed or not, but thats the situation you yourself have decided to settle in

1 hour ago, recalcitrantIre said:

not playing 99% of the game does sound pretty dire, subscribed or not, but thats the situation you yourself have decided to settle in

I play for enjoyment.  I do not enjoy organised grouped activities and never have. That said, I'm the first to make groups for world bosses during the Hutt dinner event and similar and I will do unranked PvP and the occasional FP via the group finder. I just prefer soloing.  Up until recently, you'd be surprised how much there was to do for a solo player (especially an altoholic like me).  BUT since there has been little in the way of "big" story content for a long while and in line with your response, I'm considering a sub break - something I've not done since 2012.  I'm hoping you're wrong about having to wait until 8.0 for more story.  I'm really hoping there will be something good for us story players in 7.2 at least.  I'm staying subbed for the moment for the screenshot competition as I think you have to be a sub to enter. After that?  Probably break time.

2 hours ago, Hadsil said:

I do want more story, but until then I play different characters and choose different dialogues. Some parts of the game I find boring, but I get through them for the exciting parts I enjoy repeat play.

You sound like a Vulcan. IDIC is a Star Trek thing. :csw_vader:

While I'm not excited about anything pertaining to the story at this point, I wouldn't mind more than the drip feed we've been at for quite some time now. Of course I'd have to preface my asking for that with more QoL additions like better options for skipping to such, but it really feels like the game has fallen so far behind the ball.

32 minutes ago, DarthCasus said:

While I'm not excited about anything pertaining to the story at this point, I wouldn't mind more than the drip feed we've been at for quite some time now. Of course I'd have to preface my asking for that with more QoL additions like better options for skipping to such, but it really feels like the game has fallen so far behind the ball.

Ya, but that isn't exclusive to story though. I am not subbed for the story, I did sub for the story at one point but now it's just group activities. I'd rather have them make more content that fits into an MMO instead of story. 

Just now, ZUHFB said:

Ya, but that isn't exclusive to story though. I am not subbed for the story, I did sub for the story at one point but now it's just group activities. I'd rather have them make more content that fits into an MMO instead of story. 

I'd welcome content of any kind at this point if it were genuinely interesting and engaging enough to warrant the droughts we go through, but even with group content we currently have, its been very hit or miss in terms of quality of experience. Something's bugged? Wait a few months for it to become less of a chore. Poor balancing? Wait a few months, they MIGHT address what the core issue was and hopefully you're still interested in it. Story at least has less obstacles in that we know its going to be easy to consume, critical to going forward so issues are prioritized (usually), and you have more to engage with for your alts. Group content just has too many variables and the devs don't seem to put forth an effort to react to player trends or know what the word incentive means.

Nathema could be my favorite piece of MM FP content in game (its quite the opposite) but is there any reason to run a flashpoint that is leagues above Hammer Station when the rewards don't reflect that? No. Its been like this for how long now? Remember the 24/7 TC runs for like a year? Its like BW don't want us to enjoy the full range of their content, so story just makes more sense here imo.

• Like 1

I sub for story (and the need to get a couple of alts to 80 ;) ) and story is the main reason to play for me. Both of my main MMORPGs are story-focused to some degree and without story I wouldn't be playing them.

Outside of RP I very rarely group unless it's to help someone with a quest. I am primarily a solo player, I might (rarely) do a veteran FP, but anything above veteran difficulty is not for me.

If (and that's a big if) I want to play group content, there are MMORPGs out there that do group stuff far better than SWTOR. The game's strong point has always been the story, not the MMO features.

• Like 1

Regardless of pacing of new content, there is a lot of Story in this game rivaling the movies. What you like or don't like is a matter of personal taste, but playing the Story is an epic adventure. Just like reading a book or watching a movie, eventually you will reach the end. There are books you can read over and over. There are movies you can watch over and over. There are books and movies you don't. This game is no different.

You are not wrong if you don't want to keep paying subscription when you are finished playing the Story. You played the game and hopefully enjoyed it. Maybe you can play it one more time, or 8 times once for each class, or more.  I can quibble about particular plot points, boring chapters, as with any Story of any media having something I'm not fond of, but overall SWTOR delivers a Star Wars Story experience. Personally, I enjoy it more than the sequels I pretend don't exist. Depending on my mood I like it more or less than the prequels. Nothing beats the Original Trilogy. Whatever happens, I'm loving every moment of playing this Star Wars story.

There are game play elements that are garbage (Iokath Sentinels) or were garbage and fixed (Spirit of Vengeance). That's a different issue. The Story is phenomenal.

• Like 1

You say you only go for story for gear. I have to state that having played a few master FPs in order to get better gear (and it IS better than the green gear) has made a world of difference even in harder story content.

I'm talking about harder content things you can do as a solo player : Heroic Star Fortress. Eternal Champion fight on Zakuul  (I still can't beat Noverno and Raven tho... sigh) Or even in the recent Bounty Broker Event if you do the one on Voss. She's a difficult one to kill/carbonize.

(And yes, I too have maxed out most of the rep. Except for the speed-pod racers. I can't complete those for some reason. I've tried, but no can do.  I have done some PVP, valor is almost up to 60 for one of my characters.  (I do unranked, ranked never seems to drop). 

But one of my favorite things to do is decorating. And some of the decorations I want are locked behind OPs content. SO..... thats the next goal I'm working towards.

4 hours ago, Shayddow said:

even in the recent Bounty Broker Event if you do the one on Voss. She's a difficult one to kill/carbonize.

funny, I had the same problem. I really wanted to carbonize her, but that was what was killing me, that second to hit the button to do it, was enough delay for her to out damage me.

now, what followed , I watched someone at 48, had no problems, they took her health down , what look like with ease, while theirs stay healthy. Then I saw a 80 get wiped faster then I did, their second attempt I helped  by taking out the Adds that come in there, I didn't see what they did different, but they killed her. The only difference I know was they didn't deal with the adds.

I was thinking it was maybe just the class, or level, so tried with another class, and within the planet level, but didn't get her, got a different bounty 😒

forgot a couple days I haven't finished yet, remembered the last day, so went back .. but wasn't going to carbonize her this time,  ignored the adds, someone came in and helped there, I didn't ask. was so relieved it was over I forgot to thank them. I did stay to deal with the adds for them, but the time I could finished the adds they were done. I was unfortunate to seee what their level was 🙁

darn it ..got too side tracked there. Um ..I have one character I didn't want to do KotFE, to discover, that's really the only content  for 60-65, and there is nothing for  65-70 for Story, even side or planetary story missions, unless you do KotFE

Except PvP

32 minutes ago, Achnaattwo said:

darn it ..got too side tracked there. Um ..I have one character I didn't want to do KotFE, to discover, that's really the only content  for 60-65, and there is nothing for  65-70 for Story, even side or planetary story missions, unless you do KotFE

In terms of the original intended levels, and leaving out group-only content:

• 60-65 = KotFE I to IX.
  • 65-70 = KotFE X to KotET IX
  • 70 = War on Iokath, Crisis on Umbara, A Traitor Among The Chiss, Nathema Conspiracy, Jedi Under Siege, Ossus dailies.
  • 70-75 = Onslaught (Onderon, Mek-Sha, Objective: Meridian) EDIT: and Onderon and Mek-Sha dailies, Tradehouse Requisition dailies
  • 75 = Echoes of Oblivion, Spirit of Vengeance, Secrets of the Enclave
  • 75-80 = Manaan kolto stuff, Elom, Digging Deeper, Manaan dailies.
Edited by SteveTheCynic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:
  • 60-65 = KotFE I to IX.
  • 65-70 = KotFE X to KotET IX

that's what I mean, other then doing those ,  there is nothing, except PvP.  in the 60 - 70 planets

5 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:
  • 70 = War on Iokath, Crisis on Umbara, A Traitor Among The Chiss, Nathema Conspiracy, Jedi Under Siege, Ossus dailies.
  • 70-75 = Onslaught (Onderon, Mek-Sha, Objective: Meridian) EDIT: and Onderon and Mek-Sha dailies, Tradehouse Requisition dailies
  • 75 = Echoes of Oblivion, Spirit of Vengeance, Secrets of the Enclave
  • 75-80 = Manaan kolto stuff, Elom, Digging Deeper, Manaan dailies.

trying to level up so I can do those, I thought maybe at 65 I could .  . but noOOOOoo,  🙄,  this character is 68, so not too much longer.

I know now next characters that reach that level, I'll go ahead start KotFE, till I reach 70.

I haven't done the 70+ daily's,  yet .. so I got time to burn myself out on those

3 minutes ago, Achnaattwo said:

that's what I mean, other then doing those ,  there is nothing, except PvP.  in the 60 - 70 planets

trying to level up so I can do those, I thought maybe at 65 I could .  . but noOOOOoo,  🙄,  this character is 68, so not too much longer.

I know now next characters that reach that level, I'll go ahead start KotFE, till I reach 70.

I haven't done the 70+ daily's,  yet .. so I got time to burn myself out on those

If you just want to gain levels, you can do heroics and dailies and get pretty good xp. CZ-198 is pretty fast and good for a level. Coruscant or Dromund Kaas (depending on side you play) are also good.

2 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

If you just want to gain levels, you can do heroics and dailies and get pretty good xp. CZ-198 is pretty fast and good for a level. Coruscant or Dromund Kaas (depending on side you play) are also good.

I'll do cz-198 , more like once every 2 weeks, and heroics got boring,  depending  which ones I do.

Odessen really needs stories, and some side missions, out side of KotFE.  Not a Fan of doing Operations, it has to do with the time it sometimes takes to get it started.

there is content, and things one can do, it's just not at those levels 60-70.   Unless you start KotFE

15 hours ago, Achnaattwo said:

Odessen really needs stories, and some side missions, out side of KotFE.  Not a Fan of doing Operations, it has to do with the time it sometimes takes to get it started.

This is a really good point/idea.  We have an entire planet outside the doors of our alliance/hand/nova base.  It would be a really good idea to get a side story going here (like Ossus or Onderon or Mek'Sha) which leads on after to a set of new dailies.  How about bringing back someone we exiled into a story (Koth, Kaliyo, Theron), or for those who killed all, someone common to both the Republic & Empire past. 

If they can't be arsed with it, open it as a writing competition to the players - get us to write it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sarova said:

This is a really good point/idea.  We have an entire planet outside the doors of our alliance/hand/nova base.  It would be a really good idea to get a side story going here (like Ossus or Onderon or Mek'Sha) which leads on after to a set of new dailies.  How about bringing back someone we exiled into a story (Koth, Kaliyo, Theron), or for those who killed all, someone common to both the Republic & Empire past. 

This would require the devs to actually do some world building on Odesson. As is it's just some instances acting as a planet so I don't see them actually making it an explorable one. That said they certainly could add some new instances. I for one would love (as you suggested) to get some more companion conversations dealing with past decisions. 

Spoiler

Ex: Check in on our dear Saresh and Aric (if he's there) in the brig. Or see what Theron has been up to with a chance of redemption or embittered if you left him for dead but willing to help for a second etc.

We really need some monthly tiny story updates at this point much like they did with Onslaught and I think expanding our companion conversations we've had previously is just the ticket to deliver some.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Achnaattwo said:

The problem here is ...

21 hours ago, Achnaattwo said:

there is content, and things one can do, it's just not at those levels 60-70.   Unless you start KotFE

... that Odessen isn't introduced *at*all* until you are part way through KotFE (Chapter IX), so naturally, everyhing on Odessen wouold be level 65+ since you were supposed to reach Odessen at *exactly* level 65.  (Back then, when KotFE was released, patch 4.0, it *added* levels 61-65.)

Everything that's before KotFE (i.e. not actually on the list I gave) is, in "originally for these levels" terms, approximately this:

• 1-10 or so Starter world
  • 10 or so to 16ish : Captial world (Coruscant or DK) Chapter 1 begins here
  • 16 to 20: Taris (Pubside character) or Balmorra (Impside character)
  • 20 to 24: Nar Shaddaa
  • 24 to 28: Tatooine
  • 28 to 32: Alderaan
  • 32 to 36: Balmorra (Pubside character) or Taris (Impside character) Chapter 2 begins here
  • 36 to 37 (ish): Quesh
  • 37 to 40: Hoth
  • 40 to 44: Belsavis Chapter 3 begins here
  • 44 to 47: Voss
  • 47 to 50: Corellia Chapter 3 ends here or immediately after
  • 50: Ilum (Interlude)
  • (Original 1.0 game ends here)
  • 50 to 55: Rise of the Hutt Cartel (sometimes called "Makeb" because that's where it happens) Chapter 4  (2.0)
  • 55: Oricon
  • 55 to 60: Prelude to Revan (four flashpoints and their story, Tython, Korriban, Manaan, Rakata Prime) (2.high)
  • 55 to 60: Shadow of Revan (Rishi, Yavin) Rishi/Yavin is Chapter 5  (3.0)
  • 60: Rise of the Emperor (Ziost) Released after Chapter 5 (3.2)

KotFE starts here, and KotFE introduced levels above 60, so naturally the only content *pitched*at* 60+ is in KotFE or later.  4.0, KotFE, added levels 61-65 and went *exactly* as far as Odessen/Chapter IX.  The "non-Operation stuff to do" at that point is:

• Star Fortress missions
  • Alliance Alerts to recruit cross-origin companions

After that, KotFE sequentially added Chapters X to XVI (one per month, roughly) for level 65 exactly (with more Alerts at the respective ends of KotFE XIV and KotFE XVI), then 5.0 added KotET's Chapters I to IX and levels 66-70.

I don't just want Odessen quests. I want *class-specific* Odessen quests. I don't see why the class stories must be bottled up in levels 1-50. I know it's like 8 X the amount of writing and work to produce separate stories for the different classes, but like.... it's amazing? 😭

• Like 1