A third faction

Vochan

I've been doing a play through of all the classes again and it struck me that this game really should have had three factions.

The Republic with the two Jedi and Trooper.  
The Empire with the two Sith and the Agent.
And then an Independent faction, where Smuggler and Bounty Hunter live.

It would have taken a lot of extra programming but the first part of the story they could be independent, taking jobs and missions from both sides, and then maybe they have to commit to a side at the end?

I'm playing a very money driven Smuggler who doesn't care about anyone save themselves and wants to become the next Nok Drayen, the ultimate crime lord.  They don't care about the Republic.  Yet a quarter of the dialog options are about how the Empire must be stopped or the Republic is the best.  It really makes the role play hard sometimes to justify it.

I'm sure I'm not the first to talk about this but I really wonder how the game would have differed if there had been that sort of flexibility with the so-called independent classes.

• 2 months later...

we suggested it in the Beta Phase, we suggested it after Launch, EA isnt interrested in giving better content, thats EA for you, they warm up old schemata, but NEVER create new content.

BioWare was better, but got buyed out of this. in the old KotOR Series you had better options, for an old style Single Player Game.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the reason my (DS) smuggler became a sabateur. As a crime lord he doesn't want the do-gooder Jedi watching over his shoulder all the time. Not that he wants to fight for the Sith either. He is married to Akaavi and would rather become "adopted" in by the Mandolorians.

My BH (LS) Mando remained "loyal" to the Empire, but that is more because they have been her employer for years, but she choose to keep the "Hand" independent rather than part of the Empire. The dialogue rarely differentiates though between independent and those that became part of the Empire again to my knowledge for this class. Sith Inquisitors are back with their old title - (referred to as Darth Nox in the dialogue with Empress Acina, etc) but Mandos never really had a "title" in the power structure of the Empire to begin with.

It would have been lovely to have a third faction, when the Eternal Alliance first came out, I had hoped this was finally taking shape, but the developers had different choice.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 1:54 AM, Shayddow said:

Part of the reason my (DS) smuggler became a sabateur. As a crime lord he doesn't want the do-gooder Jedi watching over his shoulder all the time. Not that he wants to fight for the Sith either. He is married to Akaavi and would rather become "adopted" in by the Mandolorians.

Now that would be interesting, the possibility to join the Mandalorians as a smuggler married to Akaavi.