One time pass code

Altubito

Download the SWTOR authenticator app on your phone (Android or Apple), or download any "TOTP" authenticator app(1), then go to Set up your security key | Star Wars: The Old Republic (swtor.com) and set up an app-based security key.  Yes, you'll need to enter a code from the app each time, but it's right there on your phone rather than maybe being delayed in your email, and you also get an extra 100 CC per month.

(1) Search for TOTP, and you should see names like OTP Auth (I use this), Authy, Google Authenticator, SaasPass (?sp), etc.  Or download "WinAuth" on your PC itself.

The one-time code is requested when the system doesn't recognize your IP address. Normally, if you have an 'always on' internet connection, your IP shouldn't change. Make sure you're not doing something silly like turning off your modem each night or whatever.

Or living in your parents' house where one parent or the other does what JQ said about turning the routerbox off each night.  (No, don't laugh, we had someone way back complaining about just this, and it turns out that she and her brother were ignoring motherly "go to bed and go to sleep" orders, staying up playing on-line.  She resented that her mother decided that the appropriate solution to this situation was to switch off the routerbox at night.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 8:45 AM, JediQuaker said:

The one-time code is requested when the system doesn't recognize your IP address. Normally, if you have an 'always on' internet connection, your IP shouldn't change. Make sure you're not doing something silly like turning off your modem each night or whatever.

My interwebs are "always on" unless it gets randomly reset, and yet no matter what browser i've tried over the years i've always been stuck with the one time pw stuff.

1 hour ago, YaddleTwo said:

My interwebs are "always on" unless it gets randomly reset, and yet no matter what browser i've tried over the years i've always been stuck with the one time pw stuff.

Historically, before the new forums were introduced, the whole SWTOR web site used the same login server as the game, so if you log in to read the forums somewhere that isn't home (a café, work, school, your friend's house, etc.), when you log in at home, the login server will see you at a different IP address and send you a code.  The same applies if you play on a laptop and sometimes take it to a friend's house to play there.

And of course there are probably still some ISPs in existence who "bounce" their customers' connections each night, forcing an address change.  My own doesn't do that, but a colleague of mine back in 2001 had that happen to him on early 512K ADSL, and I'd be truly surprised if *no* ISP anywhere does it today.  (At the time, I couldn't get anything above 56K dialup where I lived, but my ISP assigned a fixed IP to the account so I got the same IP every time I dialled in.)

Ask Google for a site that tells what your IP address is, and check it each day to see what it tells you.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:35 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

Historically, before the new forums were introduced, the whole SWTOR web site used the same login server as the game, so if you log in to read the forums somewhere that isn't home (a café, work, school, your friend's house, etc.), when you log in at home, the login server will see you at a different IP address and send you a code.  The same applies if you play on a laptop and sometimes take it to a friend's house to play there.

And of course there are probably still some ISPs in existence who "bounce" their customers' connections each night, forcing an address change.  My own doesn't do that, but a colleague of mine back in 2001 had that happen to him on early 512K ADSL, and I'd be truly surprised if *no* ISP anywhere does it today.  (At the time, I couldn't get anything above 56K dialup where I lived, but my ISP assigned a fixed IP to the account so I got the same IP every time I dialled in.)

Ask Google for a site that tells what your IP address is, and check it each day to see what it tells you.

I will try to remember to look at the ip daily but pretty sure it hasn't changed at this residence in how it works.

Ah mmo's on dial up, those were the days lol (started with everquest :D)