Translation to Spanish

Altubito

I knows is the same thing but please this is something of all the Latin people or Spain or all the countries they want.  We all playing this game just because it's the best 👌 but we don't understand nothing we not enjoy the game very well we just need at least the interface and subtitles on Spanish if you guys can't do it let the players do the translation what that costs? It's work I know and more in this big game please 🙏 you guys Lucas and all the companies do it for us and for you hey help us with this my friend. Not everyone knows English or French or multiple accent and the Spanish is one of the most popular. Other thing I ask the game in the future come to console?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Altubito said:

I knows is the same thing but please this is something of all the Latin people or Spain or all the countries they want.  We all playing this game just because it's the best 👌 but we don't understand nothing we not enjoy the game very well we just need at least the interface and subtitles on Spanish if you guys can't do it let the players do the translation what that costs?

You'd be surprised how much it would cost to get the community to translate the game's text, since BioWare would need to verify all the translations, choose the best one when different members of the community translate the same thing differently, check that none of the translations of jokes end up being subtle (or not-so-subtle) sexual innuendo that shouldn't be there, and so on, which could easily cost almost as much as hiring translators to translate it in-house.(1)

And getting the community to do it would mean that each new expansion would appear without any translations of the story, since they are unlikely to want to trust random People On The Internet to keep the new story text secret.

And there's a *lot* of text to translate.  Back in the day, when the game first started, they cited 200 000 words (or was it lines?) of story dialogue, although it's not clear whether all those 742 times the Inquisitor says "Just ... show me where the fun is" count as one line or 742.  (742 is a made up number to indicate that the Inquisitor says that a *lot*.)

It's work I know and more in this big game please 🙏 you guys Lucas and all the companies do it for us and for you hey help us with this my friend. Not everyone knows English or French or multiple accent and the Spanish is one of the most popular.

Sure, but how many extra people would play if there were Spanish translations of the text in the game, compared to how many Spanish-speakers play now?  Would it be enough to cover the cost of the translation and the ongoing cost of translating additional stories, item names, etc.?

Other thing I ask the game in the future come to console?

Unlikely, unless the consoles can run 32-biut Windows programs.

(1) "Translator" is not my job, but I'm functionally bilingual in English and French, and various people, especially the technical documentation team, in the company where I work (a French company in France, while I'm English) sometimes asks me to translate short pieces of text or verify translations by professional translators for technical accuracy.  That's surprisingly hard work.

I think they decided which languages to make the game in strictly by how much the movies had generated.

So outside the US, UK 67.4 million (English language) + Australia 26.9 million (also English language)

Germany $ 40 million

I'm not sure about French sales

Spanish was $ 21 million.

I agree it would be nice to have it in Spanish as well, but at this stage they might not have the capablity financially for all of the voice actors. 

Another reason would be the possibility of having two "versions" of Spanish for the factions like they do with English - they use standard British pronounciation for Imperial, and standard American for Republic. In Spanish they could use Castillian Spanish for Imperial and Mexican or Puerto Rican Spanish for Republic.   I'm not sure how French and German are handled, as I am not fluent in German and I don't speak French at all.

• 2 weeks later...

By StarTyras

SWTOR SPANISH TRANSLATION: LET'S TALK ABOUT THE PERFECT STORM

First let's talk about the facts (we all already know):

1.       The Spanish-speaking community of this wonderful game has a considerable number of players, including people who wants to play SWTOR for the first time or return to the game and invite some fiends,  with the only condition that there is AT LEAST a translation of the game's dialogues and texts. 

2.       We already know the typical answers given by BioWare developers and EA staff: "at the moment it is not within our plans to translate SWTOR into Spanish" we all understand that, we also understand everything that it would cost to make a translation including a possible server for the Spanish-speaking community. It would be a great investment. 

3.       During the last few years, signatures have been collected, posts from different forums have been created, and many other initiatives have received the same response as mentioned in point 2.

Now the question is: What would be the perfect strom? 

All we want to know is about the perfect conditions so the BioWare developers, EA Staff or some other guy from his desk decide to start a Spanish Translation project in the near future, i'm sure that, as a comunity, we can work together and reach this conditions.

Do they need  a new signature colectt in some specific post? or maybe a new market study? how we can make them evaluate the posibility of making this proyect? we were always making this "translation requests" but we never ask what can we do for it.

I have seen many failed efforts from separate groups with the same objective, but in the end we don't have the guide or know the real steps to achieve it, and that is why I have asked this question.

So... what would be the perfect storm?

Sorry for bad english. I hope to read your comments.

written by StarTyras

Quite frankly, within the 'Americas' there are relatively few gamers who only speak Spanish. While it might be nice to have a Spanish translation, the overall need for it isn't worth the expense. When it comes to other area like Europe, there are just too many languages to translate them all.

41 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

Quite frankly, within the 'Americas' there are relatively few gamers who only speak Spanish. While it might be nice to have a Spanish translation, the overall need for it isn't worth the expense. When it comes to other area like Europe, there are just too many languages to translate them all.

A lot of devs do Spanish and Portuguese localization. They want money from our markets, and even if peopke are bilingual they might still prefer playing a game that is localized. I'm one example. The percentage of people in Brazil who are actually fluent in English is rather low, so by not translating the game the companies miss out on profit (and its a lot of profit, Brazil is one of the biggest gaming markets despite our precarious economic situation) which is why for the past decade there's been an effort from the major studios to do more localization. Even Blizzard did a localization for WoW. I guess I got a little offtrack here talking about Portuguese but my point is there is a market, there are plenty of Spanish gamers. ESO I believe is currently working on an Spanish localization. Obviously they have the resources to do it, something SWTOR sadly lacks.