Short Story Contest

kyledll

I have an idea, what about us fan fiction writers, do some short stories for a contest that can actually be canon if they win? I think it would be a great way for the community to sink their teeth into SWTOR and be able to contribute in a way to the actual story of SWTOR in a satisfying way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kyledll said:

I have an idea, what about us fan fiction writers, do some short stories for a contest that can actually be canon if they win? I think it would be a great way for the community to sink their teeth into SWTOR and be able to contribute in a way to the actual story of SWTOR in a satisfying way.

That would be great and some prizes too.

After all they are doing the screenshot contest for the best view in swtor again.

Maybe put it together with the other contest you suggested as well.

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925102-question-for-jackie-ko/

Just winning that one is a reward in itself imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ronin_chi_lao said:

That would be great and some prizes too.

After all they are doing the screenshot contest for the best view in swtor again.

Maybe put it together with the other contest you suggested as well.

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925102-question-for-jackie-ko/

Just winning that one is a reward in itself imo.

Yeah, however SAG-AFTRA is involved so they're probably not going to allow that voice acting contest happen. But the Short Story contest could be a real possibility.

Edited by kyledll

I don't know if having the winning story become canon should be a thing, but having more community contests (screenshot, story etc) would be pretty neat.

The devs have their own views and ideas about how things should pan out. Leaving some things intentionally vague allows everyone to have their own headcanon - especially for romance-centric fanfic.

It would be cool if the devs took inspiration from new concepts introduced through fanfic (where they make sense), though that shouldn't be the focus imo.

Personally I'd love to see some stories about player's own characters, whether it be following an in-game event or something that happens between the in-game stories.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 4:52 AM, kyledll said:

Being canon could be a problem unless BW gets permission from Disney to do that, and that might be like pulling teeth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

True, but "canon-for-SWTOR" i.e. incorporated into SWTOR-specific lore for use in SWTOR, would be entirely feasible.

6 hours ago, kyledll said:

Exactly, it would be feasible

Well,  lots of things are "feasible"  but that doesn't mean they're  wise.

It's already  bad enough having  hordes of  RP'ers massed around Fleet-bar  spewing  their own personal  "canon"  in  /say & /general  chats.   Now  BioWare is gonna open up a can-of-player-worms  by  using "stories"  AND not even paying for them?  Sounds a bit improper.....even for EA. :cool:

Speaking of SWG, a better (and less  legally troublesome)  idea  might be to copy SWG's  late game  'Chronicles' system.  Whereby  players could create their own self-designed & self-written  mini-quests , while still maintaining the disclaimer of being PLAYER-made but certainly not  canon-sanctioned.

But the only problem with that ^ idea is....you guessed it:  SWTOR is coded as a theme-park game and not really  as a  sandbox. :(

So yeah, here we are  and this is why, imho,  sandbox  MMO will always be  > than  strict  theme-park.  ( *i believed back in 2011 that SWTOR would = BOTH!   Then  2012 happened.  )

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: old SOE hyperlink