PSA for veteran group finder flashpoints.

Listen fellas, its 2022, swtor is in its 7.1 version, there is absolutely no reason, at all, to want to experience the story through the group finder. There is a SOLO mode for that. Lately ive come across a lot of players who go into the group finder and basically experience the story as if others arent playing with them. I get you want to see whats going on, and hey so do it, but i go at it SOLO to do that, because i respect other people's time and dont waste it by selfishly making them wait while i watch the story when they probably dont have the time to be doing that. Ive seen people being kicked for even asking nicely to spacebar and honestly, if yall are gonna be a bunch of donuts about it then thats what SOLO mode was made for. RESPECT other people's time in group finder. Watch the story on your own time, not other players. Also, i know its veteran mode, but thats no reason to agro everything constantly, especially since healers dont really matter, but thats a separate issue all together.

TL;DR: you wanna see the story? theres a bloody SOLO MODE for that. respect players time.

On the other hand, sometimes people use the cutscenes as an opportunity to grab a snack, let the dog/cat out/in, etc, so don't get overly upset about spacebar'ing. 🙂

And to that i reply thats what SOLO mode is for. I mean theres no real excuse at this point and if youre gonna be constantly distracted while in group finder youre not respecting other people's time. I considered your point of view but its irrelevant when we have modes that allow for that kind of crap. And the other issue is when asked they either kick you or make you wait out of spite. Sorry but your argument is 1000% invalid.

when it happens one or maybe two times that's OK. Even better when they write it in chat "Hey, gotta grab something to eat/drink/smoke/whatever, BRB.". In my experience they do that usually at the beginning of the flashpoint.

Last week I had someone in Black Talon at 2 A.M. who would after been told to skip the cutscenes to respect other peoples time proceed to watch every cutscene until the end and vote at the very last second. I left the FP after we arrived at the bridge and went to bed.

I think OP was thinking of such players.

Listen fellas, its 2022, swtor is in its 7.1 version, there is absolutely no reason, at all, to want to experience the story through the group finder.

Indeed, as you say. After all, everyone playing SWTOR today has been playing for all of those ten years.

Hint: no, they haven't *all* been playing that long(1). Some have, some have not.

There is a SOLO mode for that.

So how do people run through SOLO (er, no, it's called STORY) Mode of e.g. Hammer Station or Athiss?

TL;DR: you wanna see the story? theres a bloody SOLO MODE for that. respect players time.

Reminder: not all flashpoints have a [sTORY] mode.

(1) Notably, I began in March 2013...

Listen fellas, its 2022, swtor is in its 7.1 version, there is absolutely no reason, at all, to want to experience the story through the group finder. There is a SOLO mode for that. Lately ive come across a lot of players who go into the group finder and basically experience the story as if others arent playing with them. I get you want to see whats going on, and hey so do it, but i go at it SOLO to do that, because i respect other people's time and dont waste it by selfishly making them wait while i watch the story when they probably dont have the time to be doing that. Ive seen people being kicked for even asking nicely to spacebar and honestly, if yall are gonna be a bunch of donuts about it then thats what SOLO mode was made for. RESPECT other people's time in group finder. Watch the story on your own time, not other players. Also, i know its veteran mode, but thats no reason to agro everything constantly, especially since healers dont really matter, but thats a separate issue all together.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons why I never take a pop with low level characters in the group. They are usually not skipping anything, and with low levels it's also a bigger chance to get HS.

We also have a generation of players who treat group members as NPC, which contibutes to the problem.

Edited by DeannaVoyager

I try to not be impatient with cutscenes in VM FPs and I never typed "spacebar please" (even after doing 100's of runs) until BT and the Esseles became part of the 28. That is where I draw the line as it is ridiculous to spend more time watching then playing which is what you get if you have to sit through all of it. HS/Athiss as ones you can't solo are not a big deal to sit through, as are many others, but I do agree with the OP in that it is group play and we should be respectful of each other's time. I feel like someone getting voted to be kicked for asking for SB, as long as they are not being jerks about it, is out of spite and just wanting to be confrontational.

Further, VM FPs are usually pretty short (15-20min+), so one shouldn't need to 'BRB' unless it is something unexpected that has to be addressed. Can't a player get their drink/smoke/whatever taken care of before they click 'ready'? I don't mind running with lowbies, in fact I like helping other players, but many times lately running in groups with one < lvl80 who is rushing ahead to aggro to avoid skips - as the only one needing experience and making everyone else grind a clear. Again, these are relatively fast even when clearing, but it is the selfishness that bothers me. At least ask if it is ok up front.

Supporting the OP in just asking that players are considerate of others when joining group activities.

Not every flashpoint has a solo mode FYI. And are you really losing sleep over people not skipping the 3 lines of dialogue in Hammer Station?

If it has a solo mode, I understand. But I'm never gonna get upset at someone for not skipping a cutscene in an FP that doesn't have one.

• 2 weeks later...
Not every flashpoint has a solo mode FYI. And are you really losing sleep over people not skipping the 3 lines of dialogue in Hammer Station?

If it has a solo mode, I understand. But I'm never gonna get upset at someone for not skipping a cutscene in an FP that doesn't have one.

im not loosing sleep over hammer station, and yes they do, they all have story mode, some you have to look for the actual mission start npc and talk to them. they give you the option. again 2022, the only ones i know for a fact dont have it are the ones im not talking about when it comes to my original point becasue those have barely any dialogue and they are usually done quick.

and in case you missed it, if youre in GF youre not q'ing with bots, youre with other people and if at the least they ask to skip, you should be curtious and respect their time.

and to the guy who said that not everyone had played for ten years, completely missed the point and is a poor excuse in a day and age were you can look for this information before hand with millions of websites and channels waiting to be heard and read. and its not about "how long" you or other people been playing, its about having the bloody respect for other people's time specially when asked nicely. lemme ask you do you go into a game 100% blind without knowing mechanics or tricks, cuz even if you go blind eventually youll have a question and someone will answer it be it youtube or in game. so no, that excuse only works if the game is brand new and there is nothing to accommodate certain niches.

im not loosing sleep over hammer station, and yes they do, they all have story mode, some you have to look for the actual mission start npc and talk to them. they give you the option. again 2022, the only ones i know for a fact dont have it are the ones im not talking about when it comes to my original point becasue those have barely any dialogue and they are usually done quick.

Hammer Station does not have a story mode. Nor Athiss, nor the Czerka ones, etc.

and in case you missed it, if youre in GF youre not q'ing with bots, youre with other people and if at the least they ask to skip, you should be curtious and respect their time.

In general, yes. The advice in general for people who want to see the story (such as it is in the ones that don't have story mode) is to construct a group in chat, on the basis of "LFG Hammer Station watching cutscenes". Anyone who joins such a group and complains about people who won't spacebar is a (...).

and to the guy who said that not everyone had played for ten years, completely missed the point and is a poor excuse in a day and age were you can look for this information before hand with millions of websites and channels waiting to be heard and read. and its not about "how long" you or other people been playing,

Maybe, except that why would you even know of a need to search for information X in the first place? And the reference to ten years was about the implication that everyone's been playing for mostifnotall of those years and therefore everyone already knows, so there's no point in any of the participants watching.

its about having the bloody respect for other people's time specially when asked nicely.

Fair point. Then again, sometimes the stories about these episodes do imply that people *start* by being blatantly rude when asking for spacebarring...

lemme ask you do you go into a game 100% blind without knowing mechanics or tricks,

I have done in the past, yes. (Read about my exploits in the Voss Destroying The Star Fortress mission, where I knew nothing about what was going on, and didn't bother finding out ahead of time. It was long enough after KotFE released that I *could* have looked for info, but I didn't bother. At least it was a solo run.)

cuz even if you go blind eventually youll have a question and someone will answer it be it youtube or in game. so no, that excuse only works if the game is brand new and there is nothing to accommodate certain niches.

Well, for e.g. Hammer Station, you cannot find online resources that show *your* character in there with *your* decisions, but regardless, that was, as noted above, about the implication that everyone's a veteran, and nobody ever comes into these "new" today, and therefore there's no reason to avoid spacebarring.

Fair point. Then again, sometimes the stories about these episodes do imply that Well, for e.g. Hammer Station, you cannot find online resources that show *your* character in there with *your* decisions, but regardless, that was, as noted above, about the implication that everyone's a veteran, and nobody ever comes into these "new" today, and therefore there's no reason to avoid spacebarring.

I promise you can find every single decision in every cutscene on YouTube somewhere. Is it your character? No. Do I care? Also no. You are not the star of the flashpoint, and I don’t care about your character’s journey when it comes to a cutscene I’ve experienced a thousand times. At this point, most of us are looking to speed run these things. Unless you’re specifically looking for a cinematic group, it would be best to recognize that when you queue for group finder.

I promise you can find every single decision in every cutscene on YouTube somewhere. Is it your character? No. Do I care? Also no. You are not the star of the flashpoint, and I don’t care about your character’s journey when it comes to a cutscene I’ve experienced a thousand times. At this point, most of us are looking to speed run these things. Unless you’re specifically looking for a cinematic group, it would be best to recognize that when you queue for group finder.

*I*, myself, personally, wouldn't expect to watch through a GF flashpoint, because I, too, have played them enough (not zero times) to want to just go through and get the boss kills without watching.

It is, nonetheless, an issue for people who want to watch *their* characters go through the flashpoint, and I am perceptive enough to understand that, when it applies to new-ish players. And to understand that there *are* new-ish players.

I was just in Esseles with 'cutscene watchers' last night. Basically I watched Youtube videos of Kitty, Daisy &Lewis during the cutscenes (on my second monitor). There are always alternatives. 🙂

P.s. One player did, of course, quit immediately, but Nico Okarr took their place. 😉