What Happened!? New Gearing system is... awful.

DustyDemonNinja

21 minutes ago, aeterno said:

Detailed tooltips only show details of mods and dont affect the tooltip otherwise

looking at jedipedia I think the guy is right, it doesn't state item quality on the tooltips

Thanks

that info removed my roadblock on continuing my search

1 minute ago, ZUHFB said:

As opposed to what the people think of me, I like people just enjoying casual life. I completely agree with all of this. I would just add that people hate this gearing system because it's complicated. It's actually pretty good imo, people don't fully play it the right way and then it crashes around them and nothing works. There should be some sort of introduction quest, or tutorial for the new gearing system, maybe in a mandatory and unskipable cutscene? I don't know, not my job neither :D 

I just find the info in the description difficult to where to go, and the lack of details.  Seems simple, but lack details.

So far the videos I've seen just say upgrade, upgrade, the hyde and zeek  say destruct , maybe  I just missed the part where you get the items, before I had replied earlier 🤷‍♂️

thanks to you 2, I have a lead now

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the solution? Have you offered anything to help? I love the game and Im just a simple non-raid gimp. 

I see a handful of complainers who seem to dislike the game, call it dead, yet keep coming back.

Has any of these “pro” gamers offered ways they want to see it done? Have they applied for dev jobs to help make it to their liking? 

What about the silent majority? Because there is one. And just because the devs dont drop everything to make a change that not-as-many-as-you-think-complainers, the devs are suddenly considered an evil oligarchy. Has anyone considered what it takes? Maybe so, but i dont see anyone offering the end-all, be-all mechanics/coding solution (for example). 

Ill use a food analogy since people obviously  know food. Go to a Chinese food restaurant and demand that they change the way they prepare their food. On top of that, demand they carry Texas BBQ too and if they dont, tell them they suck, they hate everyone and everyone hates them.

See how well that gets you what you want. 

Maybe Im wrong.

I'm of the opinion that gear should be fun to obtain, perhaps rare, and even last multiple expansion until something else comes along if you want to replace an item.  Mmo's often seem to use a formula that just keeps you chasing slots to replace for stats and they by and large are merely stat sticks.  Set pieces and items like your tactical afford a change up on playstyle but that seems to be dictated based on whatever they make for a tier.  

That all said it might be impractical to ever balance the massive amount of items they have in the game.  And some designs aren't practical for a seasonal mmo to keep you wanting to chase upgrades else your done and then complain there's nothing to do.  Anyway I haven't seen the way the end game currently works first hand just kind of read about it on Vulkk.  But this being an mmorpg I do think items should be fun to obtain and change something up in a fun way.

Waaahaaa I cant get the purples that I only really need to the make the content the purples drop from easier... And no I dont have time to do ops these days so most of my chars are full green and working on blues and unlocking mods on my main. If I had the top level of gear everything outside of ops would be even easier again and its already not particularly hard. What do  people need purples at 80 for given that the content is easy enough without it ?

I must be missing something. I keep hearing/reading about all this "Hyde & Zeek" stuff, which seems to be a rather roundabout complicated way to get 336 'mods' for your armor?

But you can get 336 pieces as upgrades from the vendors on the Fleet - for numerous 'currencies'; mostly OP-1s*. My main character is now almost entirely 336 (purple) pieces without ever seeing Hyde or Zeek. I have the usual basic stats - 110% Accuracy, 7.xx% Alacrity, and a bunch of Critical - with the help of augments.

So, as I asked - am I missing something? Would I get 'better' stats from H&Z? 🤔

* It does take a lot of 'hammers' (Op-1s), but you can get them mostly from doing OPs and from deconstructing some gear.

Edited by JediQuaker

31 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

I must be missing something. I keep hearing/reading about all this "Hyde & Zeek" stuff, which seems to be a rather roundabout complicated way to get 336 'mods' for your armor?

But you can get 336 pieces as upgrades from the vendors on the Fleet - for numerous 'currencies'; mostly OP-1s*. My main character is now almost entirely 336 (purple) pieces without ever seeing Hyde or Zeek. I have the usual basic stats - 110% Accuracy, 7.xx% Alacrity, and a bunch of Critical - with the help of augments.

So, as I asked - am I missing something? Would I get 'better' stats from H&Z? 🤔

* It does take a lot of 'hammers' (Op-1s), but you can get them mostly from doing OPs and from deconstructing some gear.

iRating is a lot less meaningful in 7.0. The green, blue, and purple armors all have the same iRatings (essentially number of points total) but vary in distribution. The green gear is very heavy in endurance, which is essentially a wasted stat since the health generated from it is synced twice (once in the Endurance stat itself and once with the Health it generates) in level sync areas. The blue and purple gear has a better damage distribution with higher Power and Mastery (which is not hard capped anymore in level synced 7.0 but rather a percentage reduction). The Hyde and Zeek mods allow you to get the better stat distributions.

• Thanks 1

People use Hyde and Zeek because it is faster to unlock those mods and toss them into shells, than farming each and every piece of 336 individually.  Additionally, the 336 mods (if you have the purple enhancements as well) are the equivalent of 336 Rakata gear, which is better than everything except 340 gear.  There's not really that much difference between 336 Rakata and 340 of either grade.  So getting the 336 mods is almost levelling the playing field for people who cannot do HM R4.

Edited by Chryptyk
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shayddow said:

the reason i want better gear is to be able to contribute in master mode FPs. I don't want to waste my time and other people's by wiping.

then learn your class. Like seriously people, 336 modable is WAY HIGHER than people were able to have when R-4 got released and it only got nerfed, you simply do not need the gear and furthermore the gear would not make up for the difference lost by just not playing good. I'm sorry, but this is just how it.

336 is able to play the better accuracy distribution which is the actual increase that matters, the change to 340 would just be +0.X% crit and maybe like +200 power, it's not stats that will impact, or matter, in any boss fight or any fight for that matter.

If people truly would want to have more impact in a FP/WZ/OP they would learn their class (not the rotation), but 98% of people do not seem interested therefor I can only assume they are not inerested in having an impact.

I am so confused by the new gearing system that I just don't bother anymore.

If I get given an upgrade I'll put it on, I might even augment it but thats all.....eventually the base level for gear changes and we'll all get dragged upwards.

Life is too short.

Not a fan of the gearing system at all. Okay, gear being account-wide is great. That being said, what frustrates me the most is not the grind, but that I am grinding gear just to be able to do the same content I was already doing.

Want a spot in an Operations team? Too bad; your character is not geared, even though they used to be. For the exact same Operations. That have been in the game ...for like ten years.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

On 1/20/2023 at 12:15 PM, DWho said:

iRating is a lot less meaningful in 7.0. The green, blue, and purple armors all have the same iRatings (essentially number of points total) but vary in distribution. The green gear is very heavy in endurance, which is essentially a wasted stat since the health generated from it is synced twice (once in the Endurance stat itself and once with the Health it generates) in level sync areas. The blue and purple gear has a better damage distribution with higher Power and Mastery (which is not hard capped anymore in level synced 7.0 but rather a percentage reduction). The Hyde and Zeek mods allow you to get the better stat distributions.

I just wish I had a little better access to the blue stuff.  I don't need BiS to survive ... BUT I could REALLY use it right about now!!  (yeah .. I do solo stuff but all too often go where ANGELS fear to tread!)

Edited by OlBuzzard
spelling [/facepalm] ... dyslectic

5 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

I just wish I had a little better access to the blue stuff.  I don't need BiS to survive ... BUT I could REALLY use it right about now!!  (yeah .. I do solo stuff but all too often go where angles fear to tread!)

What kind of angles are we talking about here?  Acute?  Right?  Oblique? 😉👍

I just wish I had a little better access to the blue stuff.  I don't need BiS to survive ... BUT I could REALLY use it right about now!!  (yeah .. I do solo stuff but all too often go where angles fear to tread!)

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how is access to blues difficult? All you need is one piece of blues dropping from vets (you can even force or at least bait that more or less by making sure that left side is your lowest iRating), some mats you easily get from just doing vets or heroics and then upgrading said blue to 336.

Afterwards you can purchase the blue stuff from the vendor and put it into legacy armor and weapons to share between all you chars of same role (that is 9 pieces already), so anything you do, any drop you get, has a chance of improving it.

Most grindy is the legacy implant part, I hate it, as I like variety and play all specs and classes, so I am still at 326 unfortunately, but you can't have it all. :)

Overall I still like the previous system better, but with the introduction of Hyde and Zeek it was at least mitigated enough for me to be satisfied from a progress point of view. The different "streams" of gear just suck though as I see it, it is always a bad idea to build gear silos, as it just increases the grind for no (except the obvious) reason.

7 hours ago, ReKabNad said:

What kind of angles are we talking about here?  Acute?  Right?  Oblique? 😉👍

DOAH!!!

[/facepalm ... yet again]  Thanks for that! 

(grumbles to self for stupid mistake)

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sundown said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how is access to blues difficult? All you need is one piece of blues dropping from vets (you can even force or at least bait that more or less by making sure that left side is your lowest iRating), some mats you easily get from just doing vets or heroics and then upgrading said blue to 336.

Afterwards you can purchase the blue stuff from the vendor and put it into legacy armor and weapons to share between all you chars of same role (that is 9 pieces already), so anything you do, any drop you get, has a chance of improving it.

Most grindy is the legacy implant part, I hate it, as I like variety and play all specs and classes, so I am still at 326 unfortunately, but you can't have it all. :)

Overall I still like the previous system better, but with the introduction of Hyde and Zeek it was at least mitigated enough for me to be satisfied from a progress point of view. The different "streams" of gear just suck though as I see it, it is always a bad idea to build gear silos, as it just increases the grind for no (except the obvious) reason.

Yeah ...  I've got Hyde and Zeek on most of my characters.  I have YET for anything to drop that I can use  (And yes I do run heroics).  Sooo  I'm guessing that what is needed is buried in a group therapy meeting of some sort??

Edited by OlBuzzard
syntax ... error !! (good grief ... maybe I should just stop for a while)

Yeah ...  I've got Hyde and Zeek on most of my characters.  I have YET for anything to drop that I can use  (And yes I do run heroics).  Sooo  I'm guessing that what is needed is buried in a group therapy meeting of some sort??

Yea.  The blues only drop from vet or MM FP or vet or NiM OPs as far as I’ve seen. 

• Thanks 1

You just need the left side, so relics and earpiece and (when not using legendaries) implants. You get those as random drops even from vet fp, mms don‘t pop for me, so I couldn‘t check it yet.

And you can purchase any blue from the fp vendor and upgrade as well, just need the currencies from doing vets. It is really easy and pretty quick, but yes: group therapy is needed unless you can solo the vets.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, ForfiniteStories said:

Not a fan of the gearing system at all. Okay, gear being account-wide is great. That being said, what frustrates me the most is not the grind, but that I am grinding gear just to be able to do the same content I was already doing.

Want a spot in an Operations team? Too bad; your character is not geared, even though they used to be. For the exact same Operations. That have been in the game ...for like ten years.

Wait what?  They don't let you just farm the older raids with significantly better ilevel?  Are they just trying to make older raids viable for gearing? Or if not gear is there any reason to go back to a 10 year old raid and have to rekit for it?

Edited by jedipattawan

23 minutes ago, jedipattawan said:

Wait what?  They don't let you just farm the older raids with significantly better ilevel?  Are they just trying to make older raids viable for gearing? Or if not gear is there any reason to go back to a 10 year old raid and have to rekit for it?

since 4.0, operations have generally been rescaled with each expansion in order to keep them relevant.  in 6, dxun was max level, but we were downscaled for all other operations.  in 7, all operations are scaled for the same level.  however, the best gear only comes from the newest op, but the 2nd best gear you can get through other means.