Please let Commando's use Blaster Rifles

Flexgoliath

I am not sure how long it has been since this was last brought up, but since 7.0 I have switched my commando to merc because I just cant stand looking at my trooper carrying around a canon bigger than him anymore. Its been years. Please add a passive that when using a blaster rifle you get a +X% to dmg so that it evens out with the canon.

OR please let us outfit the canon to a blaster or somthing anything... I know merc/comm have way bigger problems with viability right now but im begging you guys...... Just want my ranged trooper to not look like a clone for once.

• Like 1

I support that.

Troopers should be able to use rifles, at least as an option, regardless of their specialization. We could use a passive ability that would make rifles a competitive choice.

Personally, I think the character running with an AC looks goofy, waving that huge dong holding that huge thing in front of them.

:wea_09: #WithoutMyRifleIAmUseless #SupportTheRifleMovement :wea_09:

Edited by ChrisBlackSith
Made the post a bit more polite o.O

• 2 months later...
I support that. Troopers should use rifles, regardless of their specialization. Assault cannons are over the top, clunky and not really that cool.

#WithoutMyRifleIAmUseless

I disagree. Please let Commandos keep the cannon. I chose Commando back in 2013 *because* they use the cannon.

EDIT: that's not to say that adding Rifle support is a bad thing, but taking away cannon support *is* *not* *good*.

Edited by SteveTheCynic
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, StarLionAzure said:

IIRC on Gunnery's move list, it's only propulsion round that requires an Assault Cannon.

You already can use Blaster Rifles with Commando, It's just not explicitly stated.

I'll have to check in-game some time, but I'm pretty sure that Boltstream requires the big gun.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:10 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

I'll have to check in-game some time, but I'm pretty sure that Boltstream requires the big gun.

Edit: Just logged in and teated it, We're both half right. 

Edit: The two abilities that require Assault Cannon: 

- Hail of Bolts - The spammable AoE ability.

- Propulsion Leap - Requires Assault Cannon. Comical knocnack? Comically Big Gun.

Edited by StarLionAzure
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, StarLionAzure said:

- Propulsion Leap - Requires Assault Cannon. Comical knocnack? Comically Big Gun.

OK, thanks.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 2:49 AM, StarLionAzure said:

I was just about to post a new thread with this very thing in mind. 

With a commando using a rifle the only AOE we have is Mortar volley, which if you think about it, is very inappropriate. Massive slugs like that shouldn't come from a rifle, but hail of bolts coming from a rifle just makes sense in every way. If anything, the two should be flipped when having a weapon requirement. Or better yet just get rid of the requirement for HoB all together.

There shouldn't be any restriction and it could be as simple as allowing assault cannons to be transmoged into a blaster rifle in outfit designer. There are already animations for the abilities, and a cheap cop out for mortar volley would be to just copy the animation from vanguard (the shooting aoe). This same crap goes for bh. Should be able to hide one blaster. Animations are there already. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 1:22 AM, euroDSMtuner said:

With a commando using a rifle the only AOE we have is Mortar volley, which if you think about it, is very inappropriate. Massive slugs like that shouldn't come from a rifle, but hail of bolts coming from a rifle just makes sense in every way. If anything, the two should be flipped when having a weapon requirement. Or better yet just get rid of the requirement for HoB all together.

Haven't you heard of the US Army's M203?

M203 grenade launcher - Wikipedia

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

a thread like this one appears like once every 6 months since the start of the game it feels like

as a commando player would really actually like to be able to use a rifle as an option. Like, with the addition of the weapons to the outfit designer, snipers can use both rifles and sniper rifles in their outfits. Using cannon limits you outfit choices too, bc you can't go for even like a more of a "generic" ranged soldier, have to pick a sniper for that

that is also influenced to the amount of good looking rifles in the game, while there are way less good looking cannons

btw, Charged bolts also require a cannon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, recalcitrantIre said:

never going to happen because of animation differences

More to the point, the lack of rifle animations for certain abilities.  After all, for "single-blade"(1) Force users, each lightsabre and vibrosword has its own "draw the weapon" animation, depending mostly on whether it is carried on the hip or the back, and you can put a back-carry weapon in the gear tab while using a hip-carry weapon in the outfitter tab.  Or vice versa.  Or a mix of lightsabre and vibrosword.

Your character ends up using the outfitter'ed weapon's draw animation.

(1) The same reasoning applies to double-blade Force users as well, regarding lightsabres and electrostaffs.