Current state of MMORPGs

AlrikFassbauer

Hello,

via a soon closing RPG News site (RPGWatch), I came across this article : "Why do modern MMOs feel so different than old ones ?" https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/why-do-modern-mmos-feel-so-different-than-old-school-ones-2000124945

There are several points I agree with, and a lot I find fitting with SWTOR.

My comments on several points within this article :

Modern MMOs Lack Individuality
- agreed

Modern MMOs Have Faster Leveling
- agreed

Modern MMOs Backload The Grind
- agreed

Now, instead of slowly building up a resistance to the grindy nature of MMOs, you hit the end game grind with minimal investment.
- agreed

The Mystery Is Gone From Modern MMOs
- VERY MUCH AGREED

Modern MMOs Lack Community
- partially agreed

This is to me like showing everything that happened with SWTOR in the past in a nutshell.

Alrik

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Haha the site is down so I can't read the article, but anyway...

I don't really agree, no.

Individuality - what do they mean by that? I mean, ESO, FF14, EVE and SWTOR are quite different from each other.

The grind - I'm guessing by "backload" it means that the grind happens later instead of during the leveling process. Is it a bad thing though? I mean... people can still enjoy leveling without having to grind if they don't care about the gear. It's better than having to grind to level up...

The investment part comes with that I suppose. Especially with SWTOR where you can buy a level 70 token and end up in endgame. That doesn't serve the game AT ALL if you ask me though, considering that the story is the best part, but what do I know...

The mystery... that's a good one. But obviously it's not a new genre anymore so I'm not too sure what they expected there.

Community... yeah right, having guilds trying to beat the others to a spawn in EQ was such a great community! That one is stupid...

Considering the fact that the site is down and can't really see it for myself, your post is at best an opinion with very little substance. I mean, not one of your points do you elaborate you simply right agree or disagree, how does that make for a discussion?