Mercencary dps isn't viable for high end content anymore, is this intentional?

giantworm

Hi all,

I wanted to start a conversation, express some concerns, and hopefully hear from bioware on the state of class balance.

I'll keep it short, both merc dps specs aren't in a good spot anymore. It has gotten to the point where many raid teams have simply banned merc dps from the team. For good reason too, Merc dps cannot compete or even meet some of the dps checks in the game without holding the rest of the group back.

For example, the top arsenal parse in the game right now on parsely.io is 25k, IO doesn't fair much better barely breaking 26k

Comparatively, both sorc specs are sitting around 28.5/29k and snipers are at 30k

Melee dps are even higher, sitting close to 32k

Dps checks for most of nim require most dps to be sitting at about 24/25k to be able to clear most raids with healers dpsing on the side. With dps checks being significantly tighter than before, everyone has to be contributing more than previous expansions. As a Merc in full 330, I can barely do the dps needed for the fights, let alone make up for a dead or underperforming player.

Having higher dps checks isn't a bad thing when all of the classes are balanced, it keeps the content enjoyable and forces players to adapt and better themselves. However, when merc is pulling 5-7k less than other classes at its best, there is simply no reason to bring them into harder content. Even in optimal situations merc players are being forced off their class or they are holding back their raid team.

As far as potential changes? Merc has been noticeably forgotten when it comes to some of the streamlining received in 7.0, for example the powerlode tactical became a part of the base spec for advanced prototype. Arsenal would greatly benefit from turning primed ignition into a part of their base kit as it is essential to the rotation. Perhaps adding an autocrit to heatseekers or just number changes would greatly buff the class. Many other classes also have a way to perma refresh their dots, even marksman can consistently refresh corrosive dart. Perhaps giving IO a way to refresh serrated shot without casting it could increase their dps and streamline the rotation.

at the end of the day, I love this game, I enjoy playing merc and I will keep trying to push the limits of the class. It's just extremely frustrating as the gap between merc dps specs and other classes widens considerably. If you guys have read this far, I appreciate it! I hope we can bring some attention to the class.

Yes the class needs serious help. Currently way too low dps.

For arsenal I like your suggestion of making primed shot a base passive. For IO I like your suggestion of serrated shot being refreshed by something like railshot or thermal detonator but I'd also like to suggest a passive that allows serrated shot to be castable on the move.

• 4 weeks later...