Kai Zykken RNG protection not working

Damask_Rose

I tried again yesterday with my sorcerer.

I kept all my general and sorcerer gear in my inventory (not my cargo hold, my inventory) or equipped by my toon.

I got 4 new pieces (3 from general sets and 1 from a sage set) and then a repeated Berserker chestguard.

Definitely, there is something implemented; it's too much of a coincidence getting 4 new pieces from such a big pool of possible outcomes.

The problem is we don't know how it's working to make good use of it.

I tried again yesterday with my sorcerer.

I kept all my general and sorcerer gear in my inventory (not my cargo hold, my inventory) or equipped by my toon.

I got 4 new pieces (3 from general sets and 1 from a sage set) and then a repeated Berserker chestguard.

Definitely, there is something implemented; it's too much of a coincidence getting 4 new pieces from such a big pool of possible outcomes.

The problem is we don't know how it's working to make good use of it.

Wonderful, imagine if the devs clarified it for us.

Also, there's absolutely not enough space in the inventory to fit not even all 12 general sets, let alone all general sets + the class sets of the class you're going for... *sigh*

yeah, they just can't be bothered with explaining it to us ... it definitely doesn't seem to work consistently...

so BW, if you don't mind, have the decency to answer the following questions:

- IS the RNG-Protection implemented AT ALL? if yes, how does it work PRECISELY??

- WHERE do the sets we already collected need to be (equipped, inventory, cargo hold, legacy bay)? (1)

- Do there need to be some kind of modifications in each set piece (rather than the empty shell)? (2)

- What loot discipline do we have to select? Or is that rather class (= combat style) specific?

(1) tried it all, and STILL got dublicates!

(2) tried it all as well, STILL got dublicates!

• Like 1

I guess I never posted back here after all of my PTS testing but I was finally able to finish all the sets on the live servers. Some things I've noticed:

• You cannot use your loot type selection. You have to actually change your spec on the character you are gambling with.
  • Some sets are attached to the wrong specs.
  • This is just from what I have seen but it looks like empty shells do not count for the RNG protection. Also, I can't confirm this 100% but, if you purchased an empty shell from the vendor and then put mods in it, it still will not count for the RNG protection.
  • You will still get random Taskmaster chestpieces even though there are still items available for you.

These are just my observations so hopefully they will help some people.

• 1 month later...

Still broken and no fix or explanation from the devs.

I've been trying to complete the general and Sage/Sorc sets but keep getting Taskmaster chests even though I am missing Taskmaster belt and Unyielding Protection Legs.

I wish you could turn in Taskmaster chests and get your credits and tech frag cost back as Kai is clearly still not working correctly.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Still not fixed in 7.1.1

If this is not going to be addressed at least allow a full refund price when selling the Taskmaster Chest back to vendor so people don't continue to lose tech frags and credits when receiving this item despite still needing other pieces of armor to complete other sets.

• Like 1

ok, thanks to some more testing & reading the diferent threads I think I finally understand how the RNG protection actually works! (thanks to @Damask_Rose for the eccessive testing and @ZUHFB for mentioning the randomly rolled gear)

1) RNG protection works for class specific AND generic sets

2) you must have the set pieces either equipped, in your inventory or cargo hold (legacy bay does NOT count)

3) the pieces you have must have been acquired via RNG crates or Kai

No. 3 is crucial and means: you bought the set pieces EITHER directly from Kai back in 6.x when he had rotating class and generic sets to sell OR you got them from a crate, like weekly conquest, PvP, FP, etc.)! everything else does NOT count (example: the set you can buy on Onderon (final precision I think, which was only the empty shells) won't count)

not sure about the crafted sets, but I think they fall under the RNG protection as well... (at least I haven't gotten a dublicate of a crafted set piece so far...)

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, Dekibra said:

ok, thanks to some more testing & reading the diferent threads I think I finally understand how the RNG protection actually works! (thanks to @Damask_Rose for the eccessive testing and @ZUHFB for mentioning the randomly rolled gear)

2) you must have the set pieces either equipped, in your inventory or cargo hold (legacy bay does NOT count)

No. 3 is crucial and means: you bought the set pieces EITHER directly from Kai back in 6.x when he had rotating class and generic sets to sell OR you got them from a crate, like weekly conquest, PvP, FP, etc.)! everything else does NOT count (example: the set you can buy on Onderon (final precision I think, which was only the empty shells) won't count)

not sure about the crafted sets, but I think they fall under the RNG protection as well... (at least I haven't gotten a dublicate of a crafted set piece so far...)

I think you are right. I've been discarting the old piece every time I get one repeated and that seems to do the trick.

I suppose that was the only way they could implemented without spending too many resources and that's the reason they are not answering.

Whatever the reason, I'm thankful to the developer that implemented it. 😁

Now.... I've got a lot of Tech Fragments to get!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, Dekibra said:

@Dekibrathanks for this complete review but I got continuously Taskmaster's Chestguard whereas I have missing bonus set. Do you see an explanation for that following tests?

9 hours ago, matmat said:

@Dekibrathanks for this complete review but I got continuously Taskmaster's Chestguard whereas I have missing bonus set. Do you see an explanation for that following tests?

Yes, Taskmaster Chestguard is the piece you get when RNG protection doesn't know what to do. If you have all sets and buy another... then what? you get a taskmaster chestguard.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:01 PM, matmat said:

which bonus set piece are you missing? a generic one or a class specific one?

Edited by Dekibra

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DarthCasus said:

Got repeats of the Hunter Killer chest and boots despite finishing it and having said set in my inventory. Same with having the Meteor Brawler set done and equipped but received the boots. This is way more annoying than it should be lol

especially if you cannot remember where you got the pieces from lol ...
whenever I receive a dublicate I am just like 'oh, then my version was probably an empty shell I bought back in 6.x'

I just wish they would have included the empty shells to the RNG protection :(

I have completed all the General armors, Consular/Inquisitor & Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior armors and am working on the Smuggler/Agent ones. It seems the only duplicates I am getting are the ones I got ages ago that I guess were empty shells so from my experience that part of the duplicate protection seems to be working.

However, I do keep getting Taskmaster Chest pieces even though I am still missing set bonus pieces for the spec I am working on so there still is something not working correctly with Kai.

I've given up on the devs fixing it as they don't seem to care or have a big enough team to deal with bugs unless they break the game in some way. They don't even have this on their current bug list despite it never getting addressed. And Customer Service won't do anything to refund your credits or tech frags despite them being provided with detailed purchase history down to the second. I started reporting the issues with Kai in-game and on the forums in September 2022 when I started to buy the armors to get the Legacy titles and I know many others reported the issues long before that and it's still not fixed. It's pathetic.

I do wish that they would at least allow us to refund the Taskmaster Chest pieces back to a vendor for the same cost as it took to purchase it as I'm down over 20 million credits and thousands of Tech frags getting all these Taskmaster Chests when I am still missing set bonus pieces. I seem to get about 4-5 Taskmaster chests before I am able to complete all the set bonus pieces on each spec.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So many great recommendations here!

Thanks all for doing so much testing on this.  I've taken into account all of the tips put forth by you all, however I seem to be having an issue getting a specific set.  I've successfully collected all sets without a problem except for the Unyielding Protector armor set (listed under consular/inquisitor).  I just got nine Taskmaster chests on the toon that had been collecting these sets.  Do you think this is a case of a 'bugged' toon?  I tried changing combat styles, instances, and all of the other tips recommended above.  Still 0/7 for the Unyielding Protector set.  

Do you have any recommendations for me? Any specific combat style I should be in?  Let me know if you think I should simply swap toons.

Thanks so much!

On 1/31/2023 at 10:01 PM, Bar-Da-Voya said:

However, I do keep getting Taskmaster Chest pieces even though I am still missing set bonus pieces for the spec I am working on so there still is something not working correctly with Kai.

Yeah :( I got several taskmaster chest pieces even though I am missing class and generic sets (particularly the taskmaster gloves <.<)

so indeed something seems fishy after all but we will probably never get a proper explanation from the devs…

2 hours ago, Siita said:

Unyielding Protector

That is a set for Sage/Sorcerer iirc… something with the force barrier…

So, have you tried to buy that from Kai with a sage/sorcerer combat style and maybe even the healer loot discipline?

On 1/31/2023 at 10:01 PM, Bar-Da-Voya said:

However, I do keep getting Taskmaster Chest pieces

Taskmaster Chestpiece is excluded from RNG protection so in case everything would be protected you'd only gets this.

Yes, of course this doesn't make any sense. Ask bioware I don't eve know.

13 hours ago, ZUHFB said:

Taskmaster Chestpiece is excluded from RNG protection so in case everything would be protected you'd only gets this.

Yes, of course this doesn't make any sense. Ask bioware I don't eve know.

As I mentioned in my full post, its not working. I still get Taskmaster chests even though I am still missing some set bonus gear for the spec I am working on (i.e. not everything is protected). That's not supposed to happen and it's frustrating losing credits and tech frags to get a Taskmaster chest when I still need other pieces. There doesn't seem to be a way to avoid it. I keep buying pieces on the same character and eventually get the piece I'm missing but I might get 1-5 more Taskmaster chests in the meantime. Bioware needs to enable selling the Taskmaster chest back to a vendor for the same cost of buying it (500,000 credits and 1000 tech frags). Then at least we don't lose the tech frags and credits for a bug that the deves don't seem to have any intention or ability to fix.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:06 PM, Bar-Da-Voya said:

As I mentioned in my full post, its not working. I still get Taskmaster chests even though I am still missing some set bonus gear for the spec I am working on (i.e. not everything is protected). That's not supposed to happen and it's frustrating losing credits and tech frags to get a Taskmaster chest when I still need other pieces. There doesn't seem to be a way to avoid it. I keep buying pieces on the same character and eventually get the piece I'm missing but I might get 1-5 more Taskmaster chests in the meantime. Bioware needs to enable selling the Taskmaster chest back to a vendor for the same cost of buying it (500,000 credits and 1000 tech frags). Then at least we don't lose the tech frags and credits for a bug that the deves don't seem to have any intention or ability to fix.

Yes, it has happened to me too. I think Kai can roll a general set's piece or a spec set's piece and when you get a general set's one and you have collected all of them, the game doen't know what to give you, so you get a Taskmaster Chest. It's clearly a bug in the system, but I think we'll have to endure it.

As I said, I'm grateful for al least having Kai. I have already collected all the general sets and all the consular sets. Right now, I'm collecting the smuggler sets and I no longer get repeated pieces anymore, except for the taskmaster chest because of the bug.

On 1/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, Dekibra said:

which bonus set piece are you missing? a generic one or a class specific one?

I got all generic set and miss only specific ones like the Unyielding Protector.
I tried to test with both side sage and assassin without success on each discipline. I will try with shadow and sorcerer to check if I get same result.

the only logical explanation I found that would explain why others or me get Taskmaster chest pieces - even though we are missing either class or generic set pieces - is the following:

when you buy a piece from Kai, the first RNG-roll is: will it be a generic OR a class piece - following that logic, the result examples make sense:

• I was on my Marauder, trying to get all the Knight/Warrior sets - I still am missing some generic pieces and the fulminating defense set. I bought several pieces and got 2 Taskmaster chest pieces - that makes sense IF the RNG-roll in those cases was 'class set' but on the marauder I actually have them all because the one I am missing is more of a tank/Jugg set...
  • @Bar-Da-Voya tries to get all smuggler/agent sets and has ALL generic sets (correct?) - that makes sense IF the first RNG-roll in those cases was 'generic set' - hence the Taskmaster chest pieces...

does that make sense? definitely will test it with my jugg/guardian in tank discipline

funny how much we are guessing, testing, etc. ... would be so much easier if BW were to just tell us outright how it is working 🤨

3 hours ago, Dekibra said:

funny how much we are guessing, testing, etc. ... would be so much easier if BW were to just tell us outright how it is working

they did and I explained it like 16 times already

either you get piece you haven't yet rolled from kai

OR 

you get the only one that you can get duplicates of: Taskmaster Chestpiece

I don't understand how it is just THIS hard to understand apparently

also, if you want those achievements you don't really have another choice but to buy the item, no matter how the protection works

Edited by ZUHFB
  • Haha 1