GTN Inflation and Inviting New Player Friends

Nisime

Next I'm sure you'll be criticizing wikipedia's reliability because it contradicts you?

There *are* reasons for criticising (or at least questioning / doubting) Wikipedia's reliability, but "it contradicts someone" is not one of them.

For the curious, my take on why it's unreliable centres around those words "The encyclopedia that anyone can edit." The problem is not that anyone *can* edit it, but that this same "anyone" *does* edit it, because that "anyone" includes people who:

* don't actually know what they are talking about.(1)

* have an agenda to bash.(2)

(1) I'm trying hard to avoid calling them "ignorant (...)s".

(2) That might be a political agenda (as found in spades in the edit history of pages about e.g. Western Sahara) or a commercial agenda (as found in numerous pages about companies of questionable ethics).

OK, sort of, except:

* How do I, today, buy Jori Daragon's armour set directly with my CCs? (Hint: it's not listed in the CM.)

* Don't forget the current top-tier augments, which people list on the GTN at *ludicrous* prices...

I am mostly siding with Riku on this point (something I haven't done for a couple years, albeit on issues not related to this thread). I don't think it's a too big a concern for inter-related reasons:

1) For sets / items like Jori Daragon's, you have the option to buy other items on the Cartel Market, sell them on the GTN, and then purchase items, e.g., Jori's on the GTN istelf. It's an imperfect solution b/c you can't guarantee the item you desire will even be on the GTN, but I've found most popular items do appear there, though often at grotesquely inflated prices. Best to wait for a deal.

2) As Riku notes, the items are cosmetic. While I understand the desire some players have to run around in their Jori Daragon skivvies (I typically dye mine red or blue), it's not that big a deal if you have to wait it out a couple months until you see a bargain on the GTN.

3) As for Augments, as Hyp Spec notes, there is at least a way to craft your way to those.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

P.S. Ardrossan is 100% correct that the proper term is Scare Quotes and the individual who tried to correct him is 100% flatly wrong. Ardro could (and maybe should) have quoted any of the myriad of sources such as Merriam-Webster, Cambridge Dictionary, etc., as opposed to Wikipedia (I share some of Cynical Steve's concerns, though Wiki is getting better with its verification process to edit).

Nevertheless, Ardro is correct and, frankly, he probably didn't need to quote anything since it is painstakingly obvious that Air Quotes refers to verbal communication because ...wait for it...you literally put your hands in the air and do cute, adorable little bunny ear gestures. Now picture a Hutt doing that while trying to sip a martini. It's difficult given my short, stubby arms and not knowing which fingers to use. :rak_03:

Edited by Jdast

I am mostly siding with Riku on this point (something I haven't done for a couple years, albeit on issues not related to this thread). I don't think it's a too big a concern for inter-related reasons:

Regardless of the stuff you wrote that I snipped, Riku said that you can just buy them for CCs on the CM. You can't, because they aren't listed there. Buying something else and selling it for the credits to buy set X is not the same as buying set X directly on the CM for CCs.

EDIT: See here:

if you want to play space barbie you can just buy them using cartel coins directly.
Edited by SteveTheCynic

Cynical Steve,

I was mostly agreeing with Riku's broader point that it isn't a huge deal. I was simply amplifying / building on his point that most are available (yes, he contradicts himself at bottom of his post), but that there are alternatives to acquire items / sets not available on the Cartel Market. For example, I just did a check on Star Forge (the only server I play on). Extending the theme of ... I want my characters to show as much skin as possible, I did a check...

Neither Jori Daragon's set nor Ventilated Triumverate set (the two sets outside of slave girl [female only] that show the most skin) are available on the Cartel Market. I have no doubt that is by intentional design on the part of the devs. However,

1) Jori Daragon set, no full set available, but individual pieces available (no skivvies, which I imagine is why most people go for the set), ranging from outrageous prices from 125,000,000 credits for bracers to 750,000,000 credits for the body armor.

2) If you will really want to show skin, though, the Ventilated Triumverate set is going for 200,000,000 credits for the entire set.

So, yes, you are technically correct that you can't buy every set on the Cartel Market at a particular given time. I'm just suggesting that players can generate in-game credits by selling other sets / items. While I'm not vested enough in this topic to keep looking since I already have both, I wouldn't be surprised if a full Jori's set pops up on the GTN soon.

Perhaps my indifference to this topic is based on two baseline assumptions, neither of which you nor others have to agree with:

1) I think people can wait a couple months to get one of the few non-Cartel Market available items. And there is a clear path to do so.

2) Overall, this topic gets discussed every few months and every solution I've seen to fix it inevitably: a) will fail to address the problem long-term; b) will annoy large segments of the player base; or c) both.

Not a personal attack, and while I appreciate your attention to detail (that's not sarcasm), I was just trying to let players know there are other pathways to get sexy underwear armor. You just might have to not show as much skin as you would like for a bit. :rak_03:

Regards,

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Cynical Steve,

I was mostly agreeing with Riku's broader point that it isn't a huge deal.

Indeed, because mostly it *isn't* a huge deal, I agree.

Neither Jori Daragon's set nor Ventilated Triumverate set (the two sets outside of slave girl [female only] that show the most skin) are available on the Cartel Market. I have no doubt that is by intentional design on the part of the devs. However,

The skivvies from the various Dancer sets (especially Magnificent and Exquisite) show a *lot* more skin the Jori's skivvies do.

1) Jori Daragon set, no full set available, but individual pieces available (no skivvies, which I imagine is why most people go for the set), ranging from outrageous prices for 125,000,000 credits for bracers to 750,000,000 credits for the body armor.

I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and picked up the whole boxed set on The Leviathan for a comparatively measly 650 million...

Perhaps my indifference to this topic is based on two baseline assumptions, neither of which you nor others have to agree with:

1) I think people can wait a couple months to get one of the few non-Cartel Market available items. And there is a clear path to do so.

Indeed.

2) Overall, this topic gets discussed every few months and every solution I've seen to fix it inevitably: a) will fail to address the problem long-term; b) will annoy large segments of the player base; or c) both.

Most likely both, since the most common recurring so-called solution is just to delete one or two or even three digits from the right-hand end of everyone's credit balance. "You remember SWTOR?" "Kinda. What happened to it?" "Everyone quit after they stole 99% of everyone's credits."

Not a personal attack, and while I appreciate your attention to detail (that's not sarcasm), I was just trying to let players know there are other pathways to get sexy underwear armor. You just might have to not show as much skin as you would like for a bit. :rak_03:

Aye.

Actually ... what's really "odd", for the lack of a better term ATM ... (sorry ... having a "senior" moment)

I've picked up entire sets of some of the most sought after "armor sets" (Satele, Revealing, "Relaxed" and even Swimsuit) for 600Mil or less !! :eek::eek::eek:

Of course ... I "had" to make a proper use of the excessive inventory !!! :D:D:D

In short: If one has the patience ... it's amazing what a person can find / buy / sell ... etc on the GTN.

Here are a few things that affect how people buy:

1. How bad do they want it... (got to have it RIGHT NOW !!!)

2. Availability: GTN ?? CM ??

3. Obviously the pricing is next! It costs HOW MUCH !!!! **@!!**@@@!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

4. Does the item come separately or is a part of a larger set? (Exquisite "bottoms" or "tops" for example).

5. Does the person in question want to "mess with" selling off the parts that they don't want???

I'm quite certain there's more ... but these come to my mind immediately.

I'd personally love to see some items repackaged: ie: Stronghold security stuff .. cameras, emergency response droids, "gatekeepers" ... just to mention one example. But perhaps more details on a suggestion of this sort would be better off on another thread at another time.

In any case IMO patience is a big key factor when looking for stuff on the GTN. This would not solve all of the issues ... but it does help a great deal.

Regardless of the stuff you wrote that I snipped, Riku said that you can just buy them for CCs on the CM. You can't, because they aren't listed there. Buying something else and selling it for the credits to buy set X is not the same as buying set X directly on the CM for CCs.

EDIT: See here:

Sure you can. EA wants you buying their gambling product. Over, and over again.

So they're actually trying to make money? Who knew?

The problem is gambling. They know exactly how much, on average, you'll need to spend to get any particular thing. And that cost is concealed.

Unethical.

If you're listening, Jackie, it's unethical.

The problem is gambling. They know exactly how much, on average, you'll need to spend to get any particular thing. And that cost is concealed.

Unethical.

If you're listening, Jackie, it's unethical.

It's a good thing you're smart enough to figure it out and don't support them in any way.

why is it a problem? its just cosmetic items, you can buy a couple of thousands of items directly from the cartel market, yea there are quite a few that are only temporarily accessible via direct sales or through packs, but still its only cosmetics. Gambling for cosmetics is not a problem.

why is it a problem? its just cosmetic items, you can buy a couple of thousands of items directly from the cartel market, yea there are quite a few that are only temporarily accessible via direct sales or through packs, but still its only cosmetics. Gambling for cosmetics is not a problem.

Gambling products are anti-consumer.

Also, our cosmetics aren't cosmetic-only. They're mules for money laundering. Once converted to Credits, cash leaks into every major game system.

Gambling products are anti-consumer.

Also, our cosmetics aren't cosmetic-only. They're mules for money laundering. Once converted to Credits, cash leaks into every major game system.

if you as a consumer don't like gambling then don't buy those loot boxes, don't try to dictate how other players want to do the same, and your second point is largely irrelevant for this topic. if you think that is occurring just report it and use the ingame ticket system

Ways to FIX the inflation.

The problem with inflation is Cartel Crates. Most of us know who these "Traders" are. Always posting in the General chat. "Buying Hyper crates". it is all they do all day, they don't play the game or any of the content released by Bioware.

On July 1st there was a casual conversation between these people about how they are not willing to pay more than 1 billion per hyper crate; by the end of July, they were already paying over 2 billion. and at the end of August. already 3.5 Billion.

This behavior is the main source of inflation. They are competing with each other, tempting players with Cartel coins to buy those crates in order to make quick cash and forcing players who are buying items from the GTN to go to the credit farmers to buy credits for cash since they can't afford to buy items at the GTN. Feeding the credit farmers.

Fix the problem!

-Hypercrates should be BOUND TO LEGACY (Items in crates should not be bound-except the usual 2-day cooldown)

-Player-to-player credit trade cap. (There should not be a way to transfer 1 billion to another player at once, why?)

-In Game mail credit transfer cap reduced.

-GTN commission should be variable (Just an idea 6% for under 50 mil. 10% for under 100Mil. 20% for under 200 mil and so on).

-Tax Evasion Guild Perk. Needs to go. (These people are BUYING multiple dead guilds in order to buy this perk)

*Credit sink idea. Allow players with credits to buy Cartel items with credits (These items will be bound on-pick) This used to be a thing. Plenty of vendors in the bazaar area have some items. They should be supplied with newer items.

Ways to FIX the inflation.

The problem with inflation is Cartel Crates. Most of us know who these "Traders" are. Always posting in the General chat. "Buying Hyper crates". it is all they do all day, they don't play the game or any of the content released by Bioware.

On July 1st there was a casual conversation between these people about how they are not willing to pay more than 1 billion per hyper crate; by the end of July, they were already paying over 2 billion. and at the end of August. already 3.5 Billion.

This behavior is the main source of inflation. They are competing with each other, tempting players with Cartel coins to buy those crates in order to make quick cash and forcing players who are buying items from the GTN to go to the credit farmers to buy credits for cash since they can't afford to buy items at the GTN. Feeding the credit farmers.

Fix the problem!

-Hypercrates should be BOUND TO LEGACY (Items in crates should not be bound-except the usual 2-day cooldown)

-Player-to-player credit trade cap. (There should not be a way to transfer 1 billion to another player at once, why?)

-In Game mail credit transfer cap reduced.

-GTN commission should be variable (Just an idea 6% for under 50 mil. 10% for under 100Mil. 20% for under 200 mil and so on).

-Tax Evasion Guild Perk. Needs to go. (These people are BUYING multiple dead guilds in order to buy this perk)

*Credit sink idea. Allow players with credits to buy Cartel items with credits (These items will be bound on-pick) This used to be a thing. Plenty of vendors in the bazaar area have some items. They should be supplied with newer items.

BW doesn't want it fixed. It drives sales in the Cash Shop.

And let's be honest about why people want to convert cash into Credits: they impact core game systems. Crafting, gearing, progression.

The Cash Shop infests everything.

If you're listening, Jackie, please comment on monetized game mechanics.

Edited by FlatTax

This behavior is the main source of inflation.

Incorrect.

They are a symptom of the problem, not its cause. If other players didn't have those billions, the CM-pack buy-sell folks wouldn't be offering/charging that much.

The problem is the high availability of credits from in-game sources combined with a low level of in-game "sinks" for credits = things that players can spend credits on. And probably a few instances of actual exploitable credit-source bugs that increase the inward flow of credits.

maybe any thing sold on the GTN becomes 'Bind on pickup', unless you're the seller.

Just saying it'll stop the buying out low bids pricing, just to resell at a absurd higher price.

Just a thought

EA wants it as is; the current system allows EA to collect cash, and effectively sell you the Credits of other players.

Credits/cash which, of course, often becomes endgame Augs, or various Perks that impact every major game system.

If you're listening, Jackie, please tell us how you feel about cash leaking into core game systems.

Edited by FlatTax

Incorrect.

They are a symptom of the problem, not its cause. If other players didn't have those billions, the CM-pack buy-sell folks wouldn't be offering/charging that much.

The problem is the high availability of credits from in-game sources combined with a low level of in-game "sinks" for credits = things that players can spend credits on. And probably a few instances of actual exploitable credit-source bugs that increase the inward flow of credits.

exactly. The only way to fix inflation is for Bioware to create credit sinks effective enough to take out nearly as many credits if not more than are being introduced into the games economy... which is nearly impossible in this type of game with thousands of bots working 24/7 generating credits.

I feel taxing all credit transfers via mail and trade would help our economy. If anything it would delete 8% of all credits mailed or traded when third party sites sell credits to other players.

Edited by illgot

This nonsense about "inflation" in the in-Game-Market has to stop!.

In recent years, I and many others have observed how more and more prizes have been pushed there.

It can't be that a simple coloring module should cost 1,000,000 credits, which was there two years ago for 1.2 million.

Edited by Sylvannai

Incorrect.

I'd like to add that another reason for high prices for CM items is the removal of the referral program. That drove the supply of hypercrates and other CM stuff down a lot. I bet it drove the revenue BW gets from CC sales up though, so i don't think they will ever re-introduce the referrals program or anything similar.

But since actually buying CC's is now the only way to get HyperCrates/CM items from the cartel market, the supply of said items is a lot lower which drives the credit prices up in the GTN.

Of course what you said above is also true. Effective credit sinks are sorely needed, but they need to be something that doesn't hurt newbies too much.

Why they removed one of the most effective credit sinks in the form of the amplifiers is still something i don't understand. The randomness was really annoying for sure, but it was effective credit sink which didn't matter much until the end game, thus didn't hurt beginners.

I'd like to add that another reason for high prices for CM items is the removal of the referral program. That drove the supply of hypercrates and other CM stuff down a lot. I bet it drove the revenue BW gets from CC sales up though, so i don't think they will ever re-introduce the referrals program or anything similar.

But since actually buying CC's is now the only way to get HyperCrates/CM items from the cartel market, the supply of said items is a lot lower which drives the credit prices up in the GTN.

Of course what you said above is also true. Effective credit sinks are sorely needed, but they need to be something that doesn't hurt newbies too much.

Why they removed one of the most effective credit sinks in the form of the amplifiers is still something i don't understand. The randomness was really annoying for sure, but it was effective credit sink which didn't matter much until the end game, thus didn't hurt beginners.

If I had to guess they removed them for a few reasons.

1) Class Balance reasons.

2) Perhaps they were not as much of a credit sink people think. Is it possible that the majority of the playerbase ignored the amplifiers completely?

Edited by Toraak

AMplifiers being an effective credit sink? :D That's a good one. Wait, you were seirous?

Let me tell you a secret. You know why amplifiers failed as a credit sink? Because some smart people thought about the hoards of gear getting literally from everything and thought about it and said - why pay so much money for constant rerolling, when I can reroll like 2 or 3 times, then sell to the vendor and reroll a new piece of an item? The rerolls themselves were covered just by doing the conquest! :) I know, I was poor back then... well, based on the standards probably still am :D