Summary of the types of reactions to the new gearing changes

klizilii

These are just my observations of some of the most common reactions I've seen to the new gearing system:

Positive reactions:

- Good, **** casual players shouldn't get the best gear, it should only be the best players doing the hardest content who get it

- Sounds good, I'll just keep playing the way I play and not care about grinding gear (I can do the content I want at 320 gear)

Negative reactions:

- Why take such a good system and change it to something so bad, they hate casual players

- Too grindy and complicated, some of us have a life to live

- I want the best gear, and now they're trying to force me to do ops I'll never get it

- I can't play the way I want anymore, why are they forcing us to play this way.

=========

It's very anecdotal, but out of the people who chose to vocalize their opinions, the majority of positive opinions are players who are happy over other players losing access to the highest item rating gear (because they don't play the hardest content). It's a smaller category, but there are also some people who are positive about the change from the point of view that the gear they will get is sufficient for the content the play.

The negative voices vastly outweigh the positive voices and it seems that the largest group is players who want the best item rating and feel disrespected that they don't qualify for the best gear. People also tend to tie in the frustration over the loss of being able "play the way you want" and don't like the gear being tied to specific content. Another large category of complaints is the overwhelming feel of complexity and grind in the new system. Many players feel like the new system is going to be too much of a grind and are very confused over the complexity of trying to keep track of all the gear paths and currencies.

============

I don't want to say who is right or wrong. At the end of the day, people will have feelings good or bad, but is there some interesting information we can pick out of those feelings and their reactions?

It seems there is a huge divide in the community about how the game should reward item rating with the top positive reason also being one of the top negative reasons.

The other area I see people argue about a lot is the time investment (grind) with some people being frustrated that it sounds like it will be a very grindy system that sucks up too much play time, while others are saying "get over it, this is an MMO, it's all about the grind."

You got to note two things though - only subs can post on the forums, and people only post to complain (when's the last time you saw someone cheer about getting another combat style? Yeah... it's been a while lol).

But yeah, you're not wrong. I'd say that apart from getting a second combat style (and weapon eventually being in outfitter), I can't say I've seen much positive about the changes.

Nobody wants to lose situational abilities

People want to do what they want to do and still get gear upgrades (that's going away in 7.0)

Everyone wants to be able to mod their gear (still not sure why that's going away in 7.0)

Everyone thinks it's pretty unnecessarily complicated (I'm still confused)

And yeah... the 1% who actually runs ops all the time think they are more deserving of the best loot. I do think that it's a mistake to cater to 1% of the player base, especially in a story-driven game for which ops is REALLY not the main incentive to play. Personally, I suppose it will just make the grind shorter, which may not be a good thing for BW if they want to keep 99% of their playerbase playing longer.

I suppose time will tell.

Most of my feedback is from youtube comments. I'd say about 60% from there, 10% from reddit, and 30% from the forums.

The fact that your information is mostly anecdotal means that your information is quite frankly meaningless. How does anyone really know the percentages you've given are true and accurate? We don't - and that's true in any setting. I'm sorry to say this since I believe your heart is in the right place but trying to convince people of anything without data and just "trust me" comments simply not going to fly nowadays. Do you have any hard and fast numbers to back up your claims?

And yeah... the 1% who actually runs ops all the time think they are more deserving of the best loot. I do think that it's a mistake to cater to 1% of the player base, especially in a story-driven game for which ops is REALLY not the main incentive to play. Personally, I suppose it will just make the grind shorter, which may not be a good thing for BW if they want to keep 99% of their playerbase playing longer.

I suppose time will tell.

What rewards do you propose from running the same NiM op the 20th time then? current gearing is stupid, we're playing an MMO, you don't need top gear to do your story content. Nor veterean flashpoints. Nor master flashpoints for that matter. As such i will never understand the complaints of the playerbase. Imho, people mad they will never get top gear now are the same lazy players that have no idea what hard content is and just like to steamroll the game.

What rewards do you propose from running the same NiM op the 20th time then? current gearing is stupid, we're playing an MMO, you don't need top gear to do your story content. Nor veterean flashpoints. Nor master flashpoints for that matter. As such i will never understand the complaints of the playerbase. Imho, people mad they will never get top gear now are the same lazy players that have no idea what hard content is and just like to steamroll the game.

The problem is that currently your gold level 75 gear is better (because it has the right stat balance which makes a difference with the way Level Sync will interact with your stats in 7.0) than anything you can buy/upgrade to as a "non-group" player (and even some of the group player gear). Therefore, there is very little to play for once you have finished the story content. You will not get anything better at all from leveling from 75-80 (my experience on the PTS was that no gear dropped at all from level 75-80). Gearing has been the end game of SWTOR for a long time. With little new content, the only thing to do is grind for gear. If that is "taken away" by gating it behind certain content, players will unsub and then wait for the next expansion (that already happens, but the potential for even more of it is at the core of what 7.0 currently is projected to be)

The problem is that currently your gold level 75 gear is better (because it has the right stat balance which makes a difference with the way Level Sync will interact with your stats in 7.0) than anything you can buy/upgrade to as a "non-group" player (and even some of the group player gear). Therefore, there is very little to play for once you have finished the story content. You will not get anything better at all from leveling from 75-80 (my experience on the PTS was that no gear dropped at all from level 75-80). Gearing has been the end game of SWTOR for a long time. With little new content, the only thing to do is grind for gear. If that is "taken away" by gating it behind certain content, players will unsub and then wait for the next expansion (that already happens, but the potential for even more of it is at the core of what 7.0 currently is projected to be)

if running hammer station 500 times to get 306 gear is considered gearing then it is a very flawed system and i still don't understand why the f anyone finds it ok. As for the level 75 gear being better, thats another problem entirely.

I feel no obligation to do anything harder than a vet flashpoint because i get nothing from it, that's very unhealthy for an MMO

Edited by MotherCrusher

if running hammer station 500 times to get 306 gear is considered gearing then it is a very flawed system and i still don't understand why the f anyone finds it ok. As for the level 75 gear being better, thats another problem entirely.

I feel no obligation to do anything harder than a vet flashpoint because i get nothing from it, that's very unhealthy for an MMO

Running Hammer Station 500 times is a completely different problem which did not require the "fix" of putting most gear levels out of reach of the average player. All they needed to do was limit running it to once per character per day like heroics. You won't get an argument from me that group players were abusing Hammer Station (and Red Reaper). It's basically the same as guilds selling carries for OPs and HM/VM flashpoints (which won't change at all under 7.0).

Simply having the upgrade process require more "materials" at each level and granting more materials to "harder" content completion would have slowed down, but not halted progression, for those players unable to participate in high end group content for whatever reason. I personally don't even mind NIM OPs having "exclusivity" to the highest level of gear, it's the rest of the gearing process that I take issue with from a "keeping player interest" position.

What's unhealthy for an MMO is pitting different player groups against each other, which is what seems to be what is going to happen with 7.0

Idk, credits and crap like most of the rest of the content when you're running it for the 20th time lol? Do you play any other parts of the game? Nobody gets interesting rewards on the 20th time in other parts of the game. Video games in general fail at making things interesting on repeat when the incentive is rewards instead of making the content itself enjoyable to repeat in its design.

They've trained us to expect rewards instead of enjoyable content and that's just sad. Million and one hobbies we could be doing that are actually doing the hobby for the enjoyment of it, instead of doing it for carrot on a stick.

I don't think the current system on live is anything amazing, but it's better than some of the stinkers they've had over the years. Now it's looking like they want to do another stinker instead of improving on the system they have now.

By limiting where you get various gear from, you're in fact making it more difficult / impossible for part time players (of which I am one) to get 'end-geared' and capable of doing things with their guilds.

Now while I say I'm a 'part time player', keep in mind I have remain subbed for well over 2 years consecutively. Does that mean I should never have end-game gear?

Taking gear and the ability to get end-game gear needs to remain the way it is imo. It may be more prudent to put 'FP Limitations' on how often you can get loot (like they do Ops) so that players can run Hammer Station 3 times and on time 4 they don't get loot from bosses or completion. This would make it to where players would focus on doing the other FP's as well if they are grinding for loot.

If ran hammerstation 500 times to get 306 gear, you did the gearing wrong.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.