New Expansion & Classes

Kurohikage

Hello. :)

I've read that we'll get the choice of the combat style at character creation (imperial agent with a gunslinger's weapons & techniques for example). But will we be able to change our current characters' combat style ? Or will it just be for new characters created from the 15th of February and then on ?

Not sure I understood it all, hence this question. ^^

Thanks for reading me.

Edited by Kurohikage
clarification

From my understanding:

Existing tech characters:

-Keep their primary combat style

-Subscribers can select a 2nd style when that character completes Ch.3 for their class

New Tech characters:

-Can select any of the 8 tech styles upon creation

-Subscribers can select a 2nd style when that character completes Ch.3 for their class

Existing Force characters:

-If your legacy has the Dark V or Light V achievement, can choose to switch to mirror style (juggernaut switch to guardian if you have Light V in legacy)

-Subscribers can select a 2nd style when that character completes Ch.3 for their class (including opposite mirrors if you have the V achievement)

New Force characters:

-Can select any of the 4 force styles for their faction (Sith, vs Jedi, etc) unless Legacy has Light/Dark V achievement, then 8 are available

-Subscribers can select a 2nd style when that character completes Ch.3 for their class (including opposite mirrors if you have the V achievement)

Happy to be pointed to dev posts that correct this

You only need to have completed one of the 8 class stories in your Legacy to unlock the option to pick a 2nd Style for all of your characters, regardless of whether they are existing or new and regardless of their class. Once you have that class story Legacy unlock, you can create a brand new character and immediately pick a 2nd Combat Style when you first enter the game.

No Dev post about this except a pod cast interview with Chris Schmidt and some testing on the PTS.

34:10

Existing Force characters:

-If your legacy has the Dark V or Light V achievement, can choose to switch to mirror style (juggernaut switch to guardian if you have Light V in legacy)

The option to switch to the mirror Force Combat Style only requires 1 point towards the opposite alignment before you log into that character when 7.0 goes live or when you complete that character's class story after 7.0 goes live, not Dark V or Light V.

Force Origin Story Considerations

• Force Origin Stories have some special considerations, since there are some restrictions in Combat Style choice that Tech Origin Stories do not share.
  • To a brand new player, or a player who has not unlocked their Dark V/Light V achievements in their Legacy (Legacy of Sacrifice and Legacy of Unity), they are not presented with the option to choose an opposite-aligned Combat Style at character create nor when they unlock their second Combat Style, with one exception:
    • If a player without these unlocks has been playing their character with opposite aligned morality, such as a Jedi Origin Story as a Dark Side character, or a Sith Origin Story as a Light Side character, they will receive the option to swap their current Combat Style to the opposite alignment equivalent upon completing their Act 3 story. In addition, when they are prompted to select their second Combat Style, they will have all Force Combat Styles available to them.

[*]Force Origin Story players who have already unlocked Light V/Dark V achievements will not see any restrictions, and all Combat Styles are available to them at both character create and when choosing their second Combat Style

There has been no change in the design of the Force Origin Story Considerations, which was first shared in this post. You can listen to me talking about all of these restrictions, and expand on why and the philosophy behind these decisions in the linked podcast in the post.

However, to build upon Jackie’s clarification post here, we wanted to give Force Origin Story players some choice when the 7.0 update releases. So all pre-7.0 Force characters that have opposite alignment to their current class will be given the option to swap their primary combat style to the opposite aligned equivalent upon logging in post-7.0.

This means if you are a Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular, and have at least 1 Dark Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice. Likewise, if you are a Sith Warrior or Sith Inquisitor, and have at least 1 Light Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice. This will be regardless of any Legacy unlocks or otherwise. Once that character is in the game, and the swap choice has been made or refused, the rules as described above will still apply.

Edited by Phazonfreak

You only need to have completed one of the 8 class stories in your Legacy to unlock the option to pick a 2nd Style for all of your characters, regardless of whether they are existing or new and regardless of their class. Once you have that class story Legacy unlock, you can create a brand new character and immediately pick a 2nd Combat Style when you first enter the game.

The option to switch to the mirror Force Combat Style only requires 1 point towards the opposite alignment before you log into that character when 7.0 goes live or when you complete that character's class story after 7.0 goes live, not Dark V or Light V.

Gotcha, thanks for the update. I hadn't seen those specific clarifications for the existing characters

No Dev post about this except a pod cast interview with Chris Schmidt and some testing on the PTS.

34:10

Actually it's not clear. He says "if you are a player who has unlocked your act 3 story legacy unlock, that's currently our gate for opening the 2nd combat style for a brand new player."

The way I understand it (and swtorista understands it too, apparently), it's actually class-story dependent, so you'd only be able to get a 2nd combat style when you log in if you made a second character of that class (ie, origin).

If anyone has a more useful quote, I'm listening lol.

Actually it's not clear. He says "if you are a player who has unlocked your act 3 story legacy unlock, that's currently our gate for opening the 2nd combat style for a brand new player."

The way I understand it (and swtorista understands it too, apparently), it's actually class-story dependent, so you'd only be able to get a 2nd combat style when you log in if you made a second character of that class (ie, origin).

If anyone has a more useful quote, I'm listening lol.

Which is exactly why I added "some testing on the PTS", because even with that interview it was not 100% clear to me. So I tested it myself on the PTS as part of the title and mount challenge and after I had completed the Bounty Hunter Origin Story, I was able to pick a second Combat Style for every other character that I created or copied over from the live servers regardless of their Origin Story.

It also wouldn't make a lot of sense to restrict it on a per Origin Story basis, because Chris Schmidt said in the interview that their reasoning was to not overwhelm brand new players with too many options at once. So completing one Origin Story should be sufficient as a gate to allow for greater choice in that regard.

It would be nice to get official confirmation of this, though, because as far as I know there has not been a single dev post explaining it to us.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.