Intersting dilemma with combat styles.

Gibonski

So I found something interesting with all this combat styles introduction.

There are certain skills that address specific class story, the biggest visible example being : XS Freighter Flyby. This freighter is iconic for smuggler on the rep side. Given that bounty hunter can be gunslinger now, so can be agent, how would this look?

Will the skill be re- named accordingly? D5 Mantis Flyby for Bounty hunter? Or do agents / bhs have smuggler friend on stand by ready to fly their vessels every 45 seconds?

Yes I know it's a meme that orbital strike/ xs flyby will be a choice and won't be used that much, but the question still stands.

Devs, have you thought this through? Will this be changed or is it another example of: "It is what it is mate".

Some other examples:

Imperial brew, imperial education for agents, available now to reps.

Jedi healer- sage, now available to sith, which are not becoming Jedi just because they picked up their combat style.

Sith lifebinder, sith purity, available to reps now, same as above.

This is a general discussion for the pts and so I posted it here, and not on lore or class forums. So I welcome you to add a comment regarding this. Is this something that grinds your gears?

Edited by Gibonski

It is what it is, mate.

Seriously though. A lot of things will make no sense, like... Starting a Jedi as an assassin. Surely Satele and co would notice that you're THROWING LIGHTNING? But no, you're still elevated to Master.

Kinda makes me sad, considering that I play for the story and that kind of stuff annoys me...

The list is very long, and addresses a lot of nonsense that will be observable in each combat style when compared to th main class.

I alqays wanted to make a two pistol trooper but now i'm realizing that this way, my trooper main AOE would be Death From Above, that as animation implies the presence of a jetpack or of rocket boots: simply lame if we consider that 99% of trooper in Star Wars Lore are not equipped that way.

There are so much examples of how this thing won't work that it can take a whole day to write em down. Surrender animation when i pick an Imperial Agent? Meh.

Then there is the issue of skill names that also should be fixed to better adapt to classes, but animations are more important and urgent in such a big re-organization of classes, skills and disciplins.

I won't waste the opportunity of having a real trooper by selecting a BH Combat Style that hasn't properly shaped on my main class. My main troper will be Commando/Vanguard and i have another trooper who will be Merc/PT: if in the future they will do something about it i will enjoy those combat styles, otherwise i'll stick to classics.

I alqays wanted to make a two pistol trooper but now i'm realizing that this way, my trooper main AOE would be Death From Above, that as animation implies the presence of a jetpack or of rocket boots: simply lame if we consider that 99% of trooper in Star Wars Lore are not equipped that way.

Not necessarily. You could go Gunslinger instead of Merc, and still be two pistols, but working from cover and doing wossname, Sweeping Gunfire (? name)

Not necessarily. You could go Gunslinger instead of Merc, and still be two pistols, but working from cover and doing wossname, Sweeping Gunfire (? name)

And have a stun called "Below the Belt" and a DCD called Bag of Tricks and offensive CDs called "Illegal Mods" and "Smuggler's Luck"

I have not thought about this deeply or anything, might be misunderstanding something, but it would seem to me that best case scenario would be to make alternative names for each origin that can use them in cases where the names are too specific to the origin (and do the same with animations), i.e. Smuggler's Luck becomes Agent's Edge / Trooper's Tactics / Hunter's Precision or something like that (I'm not proposing they name it those, just trying to illustrate what I'm saying... it will be like that where, for example, each of the tech classes could be gunslinger assuming passing the alignment restrictions or whatever, right?).

But if they agreed this was a problem, I'm afraid the way this team works they might just do it the shortcut way and kill the unique characteristics of the class by giving it generic names and animations. That would be worse than leaving it alone, IMO.

It is what it is, mate.

Seriously though. A lot of things will make no sense, like... Starting a Jedi as an assassin. Surely Satele and co would notice that you're THROWING LIGHTNING? But no, you're still elevated to Master.

I don't remember which class story it is, but a dying / badly hurt NPC tells the protagonist "he threw lightning" and our character says something like "sounds like a Sith."

If you've been playing the game for the past, I dunno, 5 years, these kinds of details are beyond the reach of the budget BW works with for SWTOR.

For whatever reasons, they implement major changes and don't really care about details like you've described in the OP. Over time, this has made the game feel cheap, in a way, compared to how it felt from 1.x-3.x, a few very buggy patches aside (F2P introduction and 3.0 launch come to mind).

Edited by arunav

The list is very long, and addresses a lot of nonsense that will be observable in each combat style when compared to th main class.

There are so much examples of how this thing won't work that it can take a whole day to write em down. Surrender animation when i pick an Imperial Agent? Meh.

Then there is the issue of skill names that also should be fixed to better adapt to classes, but animations are more important and urgent in such a big re-organization of classes, skills and disciplins.

I won't waste the opportunity of having a real trooper by selecting a BH Combat Style that hasn't properly shaped on my main class. My main troper will be Commando/Vanguard and i have another trooper who will be Merc/PT: if in the future they will do something about it i will enjoy those combat styles, otherwise i'll stick to classics.

However, you're Havoc squad, so you're trooper can be special enough to have a jet pack!

But if they agreed this was a problem, I'm afraid the way this team works they might just do it the shortcut way and kill the unique characteristics of the class by giving it generic names and animations. That would be worse than leaving it alone, IMO.

Didn't they already do that with the "Imperial [action]" passives? Like "Covert preparation" or something like that

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.