What to Expect in a Pazaak Tournament

Amrekel

I am now hosting regular Pazaak tournaments in SWTOR! I try to do two monthly (one in the Republic, one in the Empire). Now, this event is different from others, so I will go into what you can expect in a tournament that I host.

So first thing to know is that most of this tournament is facilitated through discord. Here is the link for The Pazaak Den, where I post brackets, have links that will help you understand the game, and even have a printable scoresheet for your convenience:

https://discord.gg/a9M4DDc29T

Now, for the format of the tournament; this event is different from others that you might see. We have participants in this event from all over the world. This means that the event would be difficult to have at one time and still have everyone. So we have adapted! Should you enter the tournament, you would find in the tournament channels of the discord that I post your matches for each round. You have a timeframe (usually 2-3 days) to have your match. It is very much your job to find your opponent either in-game or through discord and find a time to play your match. If you attempt communication with your opponent and they do not respond, take a screenshot of your attempts. Should your opponent not respond before the deadline for the round, you would be declared the winner after you show me the screenshot(s). If you want to have a dealer to assist you, you can ask in the discord, and if any dealer is online, they can try to help you get the match up and running. Understand that dealers can only help you set up the game - they must remain impartial and cannot give you advice on strategies or plays you can make. If a dealer is not available, there is a video that will help you see how to set up a match if you do not have a dealer:

If you suspect that your opponent is cheating, take a screenshot. There are a few potential ways people may try to cheat. One is to "make up" their side deck (i.e. say they have a card that wasn't originally in their side deck). Another is to intentionally miscombine their numbers (i.e. 15 + 6 = 20) for their favor. These two can be verified and corrected if you have been using a scoresheet of some kind to keep track of everything. Now, one that is less apparent: misrolling. When you get into higher totals close to 20, make sure that in your opponent's roll dialog, it has in parentheses "1-10". If it does not, then they did not do a /roll 10. Why might an opponent do this? If they are at a total of 17, and do a /roll 10, they have a 70% chance of busting. However, if they did a /roll 3, they would have a 0% chance of busting. However, it would be observed in their roll that they had done a /roll 3, as if would have in the parentheses "1-3". If you catch someone doing this, take a screenshot and send it to Mahonical in the discord. If anyone is caught cheating, then they will be banned from further matches.

I shared earlier that you have a timeframe each round to have your match. However, should you reach the championship match for 1st/2nd place, this changes. For each championship match, I coordinate a time for the two finalists to have their match. We have a party alongside, with a giveaway of items ranging from 500k to 50mil on the GTN. The place of the party changes each tournament, as it takes place in guild strongholds or flagships. Everyone is welcome to attend and watch the match via an ops group, regardless of whether they competed or not. The time and place of the championship match will be posted in the discord server, along with directions on how to get there and/or who to contact for an invite.

Each tournament that you participate in will give you a guaranteed two matches. Prior to your first loss, you are in what is termed the CHAMPIONSHIP BRACKET, or the bracket moving towards the 1st/2nd place match. After your first loss, you will be placed in the CONSOLATION BRACKET, or the bracket moving towards the 3rd/4th place match. After your second loss, you are eliminated from that tournament. The Consolation Bracket is structured very differently from the Championship Bracket, as it receives new people every round. Because of this, sometimes the timeframes on the different brackets will be different. You have to win more matches in the Consolation Bracket that you do in the Championship Bracket to become a finalist.

A few tips for competitors:

1 - if you are participating in the tournament via an alt, MAKE SURE TO LOG IN REGULARLY. Your opponent has the name of your toon in the competition, not all your toons in the server.

2 - join the discord! While it is not mandatory, it greatly helps you coordinate with opponents and stay updated on the brackets if you are in the discord server.

3 - always have some sort of scoresheet! As I said earlier, I provided one that you can print in the discord server under "helpful links". Use it! There are too many numbers involved for you to try to remember it all without writing it down.

Finally, the prizes! These change from tournament to tournament based primarily upon donations. The typical tournament winnings will be dispersed like this:

1st - 50mil

2nd - 35mil

3rd - 10mil

4th - 5mil

If you choose to donate to the prize pool, I give you final say in how it is apportioned.

If you are in a guild that would be interested in hosting a championship match, please let me know either in-game (toon names are "Beautiful Darkness" impside and "Whiskey Runaway" pubside) or on discord. Preference will be given to strongholds and flagships that have underworld vibes or just are a great place to party!

For links related to how to play Pazaak in SWTOR, please visit:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=992831

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=993430

Hope to see you many of you in the tournaments!

Edited by Amrekel

• 2 months later...

One update:

When the post was first made, there was no requirement to join the discord. However, since that time, almost 90% of those who did not join the discord no-showed one or more rounds in the tournaments. So as to promote participation, joining the discord server is now a requirement to enter the tournament.

• 8 months later...