Ultrawide Screen issues

DarthMord

There is a fix explained on the STEAM community forum for NVIDIA cards... and a suggestion for AMD cards as well

Try this !!!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1286830/discussions/0/4158467629235023318/

Tried this with my RTX 2080, didn't work. Wish they could fix this the proper way. Till they do I still won't be playing. But I'm still open to try a fix when one comes along.

Thanks for the link and the thought, and also keeping this thread somewhat alive.

Brief summary for people who want to know *why* it goes wrong, and what the fix does:

The problem:

* SWTOR chooses its aspect ratio based on the largest mode the monitor presents, even if it's a "bigger than native" mode that you can't actually use.

* Lots of superwide monitors and/or the graphics drivers end up presenting a "fake" 16:9 mode as the biggest.

* If you have one of those, SWTOR will use your monitor's native pixel-count resolution, e.g. 32:9, but it will set up its rendering as if it is 16:9, and therefore everything will (in the example) be stretched horizontally 2:1.

The solution:

* Use whatever tools you have available to create a new "bigger than native" mode that's even bigger *and* is in the right aspect ratio.

* SWTOR will then just use that mode to choose the aspect ratio, and it will now match the montior's native ratio.

The last step that nobody ever mentions:

* Write down the steps you take so you can take them again when you buy a new monitor with a different native ratio.

• 2 years later...

So...

assuming the desired resolution is 3440x1440

as mentioned before, the fix for NVIDIA is to add custom resolution 5160x2160 in nvidia control panel and the game should use the ratio from this and be stretched properly

for AMD, enabling "virtual super resolution" will add 5120x2160 and it works as well. however this is slightly incorrect ratio.

i tried to manually add custom resolutions with proper ratio in AMD adrenaline software, but it just didnt save due to incompatibility

if anyone knows how to fix this, let me know please

Also it buffles me that the game gets ratio from highest resolution and not current one. insane

It's worth noting that the *correct* thing for a game to do is to use *all* the information from the EDID, especially:

• The pixel count resolution aspect ratio (e.g. 16:9 for a 3840x2160 screen, 32:9 for a 3840x1080 screen, etc.)
  • The physical dimensions of the screen (yes, that's in the EDID information).

The last one covers the case of 16:9 physical dimensions that are nonetheless 4096x2160, which is not 16:9, so the pixels are not square.  I thought the death of 1280x1024 had rid us of non-square pixels, but apparently not.