Tank Questions From a Returning Player

Zaruko

Im curious if anyone could rank the tanks in threat per second, aoe, defensive cds, and utility cds. im looking at starting up a tank since they are very rare to see since i came back. i nearly finished with the marauder to level cap and getting the itch to tank and will be focusing on getting that going next and will probably end up calling my main which ever class that is.

Thanks for your information :D

Forgive me for any mistakes here, but I’ll give the basics if what I know. I don’t have any pure aggro per second numbers because I rarely parse on my tanks, and if I do, I never check numbers (I never have aggro issues on anything, so I never felt the need to).

PT tanks are mostly passive mitigation tanks. They have some CDs, but compared to the CDs of the other tanks, they’re not great. But PTs gain passive mitigation through just their rotation, as rail shot and heat blast grant DR. PTs are best for ‘damage eating’ tanks, they seem to be able to take the most punishment. If any of this has changed, whoops – it’s been a loooong time since I played PT, anyone feel free to correct me.

Jugg tanks have CDs for DAYS and are kinda the in-between of outright facetanking ability, what with reflect and enraged defense. Taken the right utility point they can also have a self-cleanse, which is super handy (PTs, no matter what they do, have no self-cleanse and are at the mercy of their healers). I’ve only jugg tanked a tiny bit because I personally found it boring, but they’re a solid choice with lots of ‘oh crap’ buttons.

Sin tanks are the cheese it tanks. They’re the squishiest of the tanks, and have the highest skill floor, but done right you can straight up ignore mechanics in a lot of fights. Shroud is a self-cleanse and a ‘screw you I’m immortal’ button that can be used to great effect. With the right utilities and tactical, you can shroud 3 times in a row, making for some super cheese goodness.

I’ve also personally noticed Sin having fantastic aggro-holding ability, especially for trash mobs. I struggled with aggro on my jugg a lot (it could have been because I was new to tanking, to be perfectly fair), and PT was kinda so-so.

• 1 year later...

Since you´ve to taunt to keep the aggro vs good dps. The threatgeneration doesn´t matter.

For survivalbility the ranking is in my opinion:

1. Assa, cause he can still dogde some mechanics with his battlevanish and has the strongest harddef

2.PT, with his new shield through the legendary item

3.Jugg, a lot of small/short defs which are a lot of the time in use

But for learning and mastering the class the ranking is vice versa