The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

magnuskn

I play a Sith Inquisitor and all the "endgame" gear looks like garbage. I'm not going to look like an airplane or go around half-naked. All the best-looking gear can be had between levels 1-20--I'll stick with the Dark Acolyte top and bottom, thanks.

We need oranges (or in specific, mods/enhancements/armoring/etc.) that are comparable with purples. Maybe there are, but it sounds like there aren't -- I just hit 50, so I'm not sure. I don't mind having to work for them, just like purples, but let me retain the look I like.

MMOs have always been fashion shows and appearance in this story-centric game Bioware has created is even more imperative.

Schematics are easy enough to acquire, although I think that all equipment within your crafting expertise should be reverse-engineer-able (in order to learn how to make it with just the equipment) and, furthermore, RE-able past purple to orange (so you can orange-ify anything).

But an appearance tab would solve things just as well ...

There are a lot of solutions, in any case--certainly solutions that allow us customized appearances whilst maintaining an appropriate effort/reward ratio.

This is definitely an issue that needs to be examined, as its an expected feature of any modern MMO.

Thumbs up.

I agree 100% with this.

I just got my pvp chest-piece for my assassin. It follows the trend of the monstrous Brobdingnagian gear design that somehow is indicative of "status." The first thing I looked into was removing mods and putting it into a new piece of gear. Alas, this costs me a set bonus if I do it with more than one piece. In addition, I lose the baseline armor stats. I'm not the type to run around in unrealistic armor sets; if I could make it look like the blue, level 50 pvp gear (that was just removed) I'd be ecstatic. Instead I'm seriously thinking about forfeiting the stats from the gear.

This was acceptable in 2002, it isn't anymore. I'm done making my character adhere to the abominable MMO end-game design where my shoulder pads should be stabbing me with every turn, where I should trip on my robe, and where the armor doubles my size. It's time to revert your changes and actually let us chose our appearance. I shouldn't be stuck looking like that.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously haven't seen much of the smuggler or JK gear. ;)

But, if you are referring to a separate cape slot, you are right. They built shoulder and back pieces into the chest pieces. As ridiculous shoulderpads are one of my pet-peeves, I'm not much of a fan of that decision.

Yes, I was not clear enough, my fault. Why there isn't a slot for capes is just stunning oversight in the art dept. Makes me ask if they artist ever have seeen a Star Wars movie or Clone Wars. I don't know how hard it is to change that now.

Edited by penumbri
I can't spell

I remember shortly after Aion was released they added a plastic surgeon npc. When you spoke to her, all she did was send you back into the original new character creation screen as if you were making your character for the first time where you could edit everything again.

I think just adding this would be more simple than a dedicated barber shop. Just pop an npc in the cantina.

I remember shortly after Aion was released they added a plastic surgeon npc. When you spoke to her, all she did was send you back into the original new character creation screen as if you were making your character for the first time where you could edit everything again.

I think just adding this would be more simple than a dedicated barber shop. Just pop an npc in the cantina.

I like this idea alot. Consider it a visual respec and mirror the costs for changing your build around that already exist. Add in like 2 more body types and I'd be very happy.

If you want to RP equip your items and do it somewhere outside of flashpoints, operations, and warzones. There's an actual visual gear and power progression throughout the game and so far it looks as though there's enough variety of armor so that the 'clone effect' isn't an issue.

If you want to RP equip your items and do it somewhere outside of flashpoints, operations, and warzones. There's an actual visual gear and power progression throughout the game and so far it looks as though there's enough variety of armor so that the 'clone effect' isn't an issue.

You got to be kidding me...:mad:

The orange gear would seem to differ with your "actual visual gear and power progression throughout the game" argument.

The orange gear would seem to differ with your "actual visual gear and power progression throughout the game" argument.

The game provides better orange gear as you level, and how many people do you know still wearing old orange gear? Fact is most aren't. This is why I like games without the appearance gimmick, because you can look at people and immediately get a sense of their level and what they've done/do.

I don't understand this need of people to wear certain gear everywhere. You can still equip other items, just don't do it where it isn't appropriate.

The game provides better orange gear as you level, and how many people do you know still wearing old orange gear? Fact is most aren't. This is why I like games without the appearance gimmick, because you can look at people and immediately get a sense of their level and what they've done/do.

I don't understand this need of people to wear certain gear everywhere. You can still equip other items, just don't do it where it isn't appropriate.

Hi there. Got my first orange gear at level 10. Still wearing it at level 30. I'm not unique. I'd like your data on "fact is most aren't" statement, please.

Hi there. Got my first orange gear at level 10. Still wearing it at level 30. I'm not unique. I'd like your data on "fact is most aren't" statement, please.

Go to the fleet, most people are wearing level appropriate gear. You're playing an MMO, of course you aren't going to be unique. I just feel the appearance gimmick ruins proper atmosphere and late game incentive.

Go to the fleet, most people are wearing level appropriate gear. You're playing an MMO, of course you aren't going to be unique. I just feel the appearance gimmick ruins proper atmosphere and late game incentive.

I've been to the fleet. Most people are wearing moddable gear. My anecdotal evidence cancels out yours.

EDIT: Do you want to know what actually gives the best indicator as to what class you're seeing off in the distance? It's not the gear; it's the companion. The companion is by far more identifiable than any chest piece, mask, or weapon that can be equipped.

Edited by Kharnis

Let me start by saying I didn't read the OP entirely, nor did I read any of the replies, as I am at work and on lunch. So my reply is based pretty much on thread title, which I'm in support of.

I play on RP/PvP servers in any MMO I've played that has such a ruleset because both aspects are part of what makes an MMO fun to me. I'm very disappointed with the graphics of this game, BUT, at least they're better than that other game which I hate and will comment no further on. Although the graphic style is not to my taste, it's so far been offset by other aspects of the game. Still, I loath seeing some of the ridiculous looking armor/gear in this game. I'm not a fan of anime style gear or animation (to each his own), though I do like some anime movies due to their story. I like things proportionate and practical looking. Some of the oversized shoulder gear just looks ridiculous and outright silly.

Now, you'd think with the progression/digression of MMO's today, and despite this being BW's first MMO, that BW would have done a little research and realized that character appearance is a popular important aspect. I realize they tried to put some appearance customization into the game with customized armor (which I really like), but it was a half-*****'d attempt. There is an option to show headgear, but not raise/lower the hood of cloaks which make some characters look downright goofy since the hood basically makes the character bald, and the lighting beneath the hood is all wrong. Twi'leks not only can't be hooded, but putting on a hooded cloak removes their headband.

Why not implement a simple vanity tab like most other MMO's are doing these days? In most games, I think the starting gear looks better in most cases than high level gear, simply because most games tend to overdo the looks of high level gear in some way or another, whether by ridiculous proportions or simply too fancy. At least with a vanity tab, if a player found a nice looking set of gear or combination of pieces, he could keep that appearance, but benefit by the higher level gear he/she has earned. Not to mention it goes a good ways toward remedying the annoying history of MMO's wherein all characters end up looking the same do to wearing the same high level end-game gear.

And now, back to work.

/support

I've been to the fleet. Most people are wearing moddable gear. My anecdotal evidence cancels out yours.

EDIT: Do you want to know what actually gives the best indicator as to what class you're seeing off in the distance? It's not the gear; it's the companion. The companion is by far more identifiable than any chest piece, mask, or weapon that can be equipped.

zzzzzzzzz

Moddable gear that they got from commendation vendors, yeah. Most people continue upgrading their appearance with more powerful looking items because it's fun and that's how leveling is designed. Of course you can keep the dinky looking level 10 orange gear all the way to 50, but most people don't.

Also companions aren't out half the time... speeders/groups/flashpoints.

This is the 26th iteration of the Unofficial Appearance Customization thread, 25.000+ posts preceded this discussion on the old forums.

Appearance customization has been a major concern of players during the wait for SWTOR's release. Given that The Old Republic's fourth pillar is story and the MMORPG of the game was emphasized, many players wanted more options to customize the appearance of their characters, so as to heighten the immersion into the game.

Appearance customization at character creation is a bit limited compared to many other MMO's. Post-character creation, no system has so far been introduced to change the appearance of your character, although many hope that the legacy system will provide solutions on that topic.

The majority of discussion in past versions of this thread, though, has been about gear appearance customization. During many of its iterations, the preferred solution was an appearance tab. The appearance tab is a system which allows players to equip a second item on the character doll for gear appearance, while retaining the statistics of their primary item.

BioWare chose to go with another system. Their implemented method of gear appearance customization is "orange" gear. This means these sets of equipment have no base statistics, just modding slots. Mods can be acquired via questing, vendors and group content, throughout all of the game.

When those mods are slotted into the empty mod slots, the orange quality equipment will be granted combined statistic equivalent to normal, unmodded gear at the same item level, including armor rating.

The ( for the moment ) final system was presented by a developer post from Emanuel Lusinchi and its reception was decidedly mixed. The major concerns from gear appearance customization proponents are the difficulty of maintaining up-to-date gear, the comparison to endgame gear with set bonuses and the viability of the orange quality mod equipment in PvP.

It is up to us to see how the system holds up in actual gameplay and bring concerns and constructive feedback to the developers.

In closing, some arguments why gear appearance customization is good for the game.

Good reasons players would want gear appearance customization:

- Avoiding the clone effect at endgame.

- Putting together your own unique look for your character.

- Roleplaying outfits: Festivities, enviromental adaptation ( flimsy uniforms on Hoth just don't cut it ), relaxation time clothes.

- Using all possible outfits for a long time, and as such honoring all the designers work, not just the endgame gear.

- Enhanced immersion into the Star Wars universe.

Good reasons why developers would want gear appearance customization:

- Timesinks: Collecting that one piece of gear for the perfect looking outfit gets players to do content they otherwise wouldn't.

- Player retention: Appearance customization creates attachment and immersion. And thus loyalty to ones character and the community. People stay subbed for this reason.

- Added comfort: Modern MMO's try to give their costumers options. More options make players more satisfied and thus help with costumer retention.

- Less need to top the latest endgame set with a more outrageous looking one for the next tier of endgame content.

This has been a topic of conversation in ALL MMO's for years. The fact of the matter is players -want- customization. They want to look unique and not like everyone else in the game. Yet game devs always seem to at least launch a game without this feature. One has to wonder why??

Is it really that hard to have something like an appearance tab, more clothing options and the ability to choose our own colours?

zzzzzzzzz

Moddable gear that they got from commendation vendors, yeah. Most people continue upgrading their appearance with more powerful looking items because it's fun and that's how leveling is designed. Of course you can keep the dinky looking level 10 orange gear all the way to 50, but most people don't.

Also companions aren't out half the time... speeders/groups/flashpoints.

On the contrary. Most people do keep the "dinky looking" gear (whatever that means) all the way to 50. Once again, my anecdotal evidence cancels yours. Unless, of course, you have actual data to back your claim up?

On the contrary. Most people do keep the "dinky looking" gear (whatever that means) all the way to 50. Once again, my anecdotal evidence cancels yours. Unless, of course, you have actual data to back your claim up?

Well here's the thing. Your argument only succeeds in making yourself feel better while everyone else who's reading knows that I'm right so I'm not gonna bother with it anymore.

Well here's the thing. Your argument only succeeds in making yourself feel better while everyone else who's reading knows that I'm right so I'm not gonna bother with it anymore.

So, you have no actual data, then? That's what I thought.