Why I want macros, and why it won't ruin the game

AngryErik

I don't want mods.

Everyone's technical capabilities should be the same.

Everyone's information on the screen should be the same.

It's not fair giving people advantages through mods when some people refuse to use anything but official products made by the primary developer and officially, mandatorily added to the game.

I am for macros though because they allow me to add /say and /yell quotes to my abilities, which is nice to have on an RPPvP server.

So, you woujld be against using 3rd party guides and VOIP as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You quoted my reason why:

yes which brings us back to the fact you started off saying you do not want 1 button mashing. I am not against macros just thought it was odd how you worded your statement is all. Personally, i am ambivalent to macros.

It has everything to do with a person's choice. In my analogy, I chose medicine; idiot people often avoid medicine because they believe that rather than helping them, it will harm them. Others avoid medicine because they believe that it violates some code of ethics (or religion).

In truth, people avoid addons out of principle, or because they feel it is not safe to do so.

Lines up perfectly. In both cases, the problem is not the medicine/addons, the problem is the people who refuse to use them out of some misguided thought process.

Except there is no balance to consider when it comes to medicine. The analogy is totally flawed.

On top of that, I will never use something made by the community. I will only use things made and implemented in a mandatory fashion by the official developer. That is a perfectly legitimate stance.

You want to use things created by the community and not official. That is also a perfectly legitimate stance.

However, because you using said things made by the community gives you an advantage I don't have, my stance is right, while yours is wrong.

If it were the other way around, then mine would be wrong and yours would be right. But as it stands, everyone already uses what the official developer provides. It's those who want addons that want to have advantages that those only using the official product don't have.

As such, the developer has more reason to not implement addons because they want people to be paying THEM and buying more expansions from THEM, as the one and only true source of content for their game. They are the be all and end all, and many players will only buy and use things from them.

If they want to keep said players happy, they'll not implement addons. And if they don't implement addons, they will also keep those who want addons happy, because it is an optional feature that isn't going to make people unsubscribe, seeing as it isn't part of the actual game's content.

In short: addons have no place in a commercial online game where everyone needs to be equal both for game balance and to not feel unfair treatment.

In truth, people avoid addons out of principle, or because they feel it is not safe to do so.

Nobody is forced to use all addons. Everyone is given the option of implementing addons to improve their efficiency in areas they believe it is needed. If you had a way to augment yourself in real life, would you? I would. Free buffs, for the taking - all yuo have to do is take them. But you don't want to.

well actually add-ons are a totally different matter. One of the problems wow had was with botts, in game hackers and people stealing accounts. A large admitted (on their part) reason for this was the system they had that allowed for mods and add-ons.

So, you woujld be against using 3rd party guides and VOIP as well.

A guide isn't part of the game. It doesn't affect the technical aspects of your gameplay experience. It just allows you to play according to a predefined path instead of choosing your own, which has nothing to do with balance and technical capability.

As for voice chat, it only serves to cause a DISadvantage, because in any game, be it an FPS or an RPG, if you can't hear every tiny sound effect around you due to voice chat, you're at a disadvantage to those who aren't using voice chat. None of the supposed benefits you gain from "coordination" via voice chat come anywhere close to compensating the total disadvantage you're at when someone is talking and you can't hear ANYTHING around you whatsoever, miss vital tiny sound effects and sof orth. So if you want to be at a DISadvantage, sure, go ahead, I have no issue with that.

Edited by ShadowMasterRP

As a hardcore player i vote for macros .. Rift like ingame macroes not as adds or mods. With no queue of abilities. makes a things a bit easier. Though after playing Stormcaller in Rift with 23 actions variable DPS rotation i fell like i don't need macros anymore ^__^

I believe they have promised to implement macro system soon.

I do like your system, with addition to mouse over capability. (seriously, i still enjoy healing, but it would be a lot smoother if I didn't have to constantly switch targets and could just use appropriate abilities by merely pointing my mouse pointer over appropriate health bar, while keeping something else selected (usually either CCed mob that I may have to re CC, or mob that I may have to help interrupting)

and yes, no "smart" macro's please. the most I'd go for is binding 2 abilities to the same button where one is for friendly target, while the other is for enemy one (for example - purge if friendly target, interrupt if enemy) saves space while keeping decision making squarely in my hands

Except there is no balance to consider when it comes to medicine. The analogy is totally flawed.

On top of that, I will never use something made by the community. I will only use things made and implemented in a mandatory fashion by the official developer. That is a perfectly legitimate stance.

You want to use things created by the community and not official. That is also a perfectly legitimate stance.

However, because you using said things made by the community gives you an advantage I don't have, my stance is right, while yours is wrong.

If it were the other way around, then mine would be wrong and yours would be right. But as it stands, everyone already uses what the official developer provides. It's those who want addons that want to have advantages that those only using the official product don't have.

As such, the developer has more reason to not implement addons because they want people to be paying THEM and buying more expansions from THEM, as the one and only true source of content for their game. They are the be all and end all, and many players will only buy and use things from them.

If they want to keep said players happy, they'll not implement addons. And if they don't implement addons, they will also keep those who want addons happy, because it is an optional feature that isn't going to make people unsubscribe, seeing as it isn't part of the actual game's content.

In short: addons have no place in a commercial online game where everyone needs to be equal both for game balance and to not feel unfair treatment.

In short, this is completely off topic. This topic is about MACROS, not Addons.

But, since I can let something sit, my rebuttal:

If they want to keep players happy, they will let the players do what the players want. It's not about rage quitting, it's about long term subscriptions. People who tire of the game because the interface is not ideal will simply not last. And that hurts the game as a whole.

What your post seems to be concerned about, is unfair advantages. There is nothing, save your stubborn ideals, preventing you from leveling the playing field and using the addons that work for you. You hide this concern under the guise of "only using what is official".

I on the other hand, do not fight fair. I will kick you in the nuts, I will pull your hair, I will scratch your eyes. And I will use addons in a game, because they give me what I need to maximize my efficiency. Nothing stops you from doing the same.

Abstaining from something does not give you the right to make others abstain from it. I realize that at this point you're saying that the devs have not included addons, which means that the inverse of my argument is also true: lacking addons does not mean we should force everyone to use them.

Here's the difference though; giving the person the choice, is better than making it for them. Giving me the flexibility to make my UI look better, giving me the flexibility to be more aware of my surroundings, and be more productive with less time, is better than telling me to use something that is rigid, inflexible, and nowhere near ideal.

I'd settle for being able to make one simple IF THEN ELSE statement per macro.

IF "Retaliation" = Ready THEN use "Retaliation"

ELSE Use "Vicious Slash"

That's it, that's one macro. I don't need to string twenty commands together (like Rift let you do) Just that. that's all I want. Let me tie my reactives or long cooldowns to commonly mashed buttons.

(I am not a coder, if my syntax is wrong, don't flame me, you get the point)

if I am not using an IF/THEN/ELSe statement, let me sequence like... three things together

use "Saber Throw"

use "Force Charge"

use "Smash"

Start at the top, if one is unavailable, skip it and try the next one. I don't need twenty. Just two, or three.

Here is what I am staring at, I'm sure many of your UI's look the same, this is to illustrate how much the Hotbars command your attention.

http://www.shadowlandbbs.net/swtor/sylinui.jpg

I ask you, Where is the game?.

My eyes are so busy watching for cool downs and reactives to light up, during combat, my brain is too busy focusing on the red than to actually watch what's going on around me.

All I want is so macros to help clean this up and let me focus on the immersive world around me.

(For those wondering about my system, everything 1-6 is left hand from WASD, 7-12 is right hand with thumb on the Naga mouse)

This is precisely what we need. Just the ability to condense all the abilities down a little. Nothing like the complexity that WOW or other games allowed.