Why I want macros, and why it won't ruin the game

AngryErik

First, what I do not want:

One button playing. Did that in Rift, it was fun for a day when I could say "hey lol look I'm playing with one finger". Also tried parachamp while it was OP. Fun for a day.

What I do want:

The ability to cast abilities in sequence, and the ability to have multiple spells castable with the same button, WITH a modifier key (shift/control/alt).

What I am NOT asking for is an intelligent autocast, like Rift. I'm asking for the ability to cast an exact sequence -if one such ability is not ready, the sequence either waits for the ability, or the sequence will not even start.

Why I want this:

I've got an ability in almost every bar on my screen... I don't even have that many hotkeys. A little macro management will go a VERY long way towards cleaning up my interface.

This does not reduce skill requirements, I could easily line up all 3 abilities and hit the hotkeys in order (assuming I mapped them). Just as easily as I could hit the same button 3 times to cast all 3 spells, in fact.

This does not break gameplay, as it will not auto-cast reactives, priority-cast, or take any decision making away from the player.

An example, perhaps, from the perspective of a sith juggernaut:

Force Push, Saber Throw, Force Charge

When do I use this exact rotation? Every time push is off CD. Is it a challenge for me to do? No. I have all 3 buttons lined up, and I press shift+1,shift+2,shift+3.

Perhaps another example?

Force Choke, Pommel Strike, Backhand

Again, not going to break anything. Still pressing a row of hotkeys one after the other.

Ultimately, I just want to clean up my interface, by turning 3+ buttons into one button.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like the macro system as well, I prefer it during the healing and tanking roles. I would prefer a macros system where the gobal cooldown would prevent players for setting up their attack rotation, instead it allows for the use of relic to be used in combination of various attacks/spells and allows for the mouse over option in operations.

Before all the flames hit, there are a number of keyboards that come with macro buttons that you can program yourself. There are also gamepads, such as the Logitech G13, that can accomplish this as well.

While game assigned ones that you can assign to 1,2,3,4,5,etc... would be nice, until they come out, the macro adapters are the only way.

Buy a Naga and a G13

Problem solved and you won't have to worry about tons of Trojans in your "Mods"

"Mods" as you say were never part of the request.

"Macros", as were asked for, are built into the game and thus free of malware.

Edited by AngryErik

The one button Rift macro spamming is more of a product of spec design. The shaman is a 1 button monster, but 6 melee attacks have cooldowns, 4 are reactives, and it only has 1 non cd, non reactive attack. Most specs had 5-8 button rotations, that you could condense down to 3-4, and still have your long cooldowns and situationals within reach. The advantage there is you could take your eyes off the hotbar and see the fight. It made it a lot more mobile and you could still maintain steady dps on the move.

Swtor has the same reactives, conditionals and cooldowns, but without macros you have to have more of a feel for your keybinds - because there's a lot of them - and you'll be missing out on dps/dying stupidly because you can't see everything all the time.

Example: Trooper has 2 casted heals, almost identical in size, one's a bit faster cast but has a cooldown - macro it in and It'd free up a keybind and get used without first checking to see if it's available. Trooper also has a hard hitting shot that can only be used on a target with a dot on it - but trooper's only dot is a random chance that you can't control.

Healing without mouseovers is a pain too.

I don't want the game to play itself, I want to play efficiently without turning my left hand into a pretzel. I have a decent keyboard, but I can't really make macros on it, and saying that this is an effective solution only gives people with the money to get one an advantage.

I use a Nostromo n52, and when I ran out of room for hotkeys (surprisingly, 14 is not enough for everything I want to have at hand on my gunslinger), I tried making a macro to cast more than one ability with one key.

Didn't really work out very well. I mean, it's do-able, but the GCD and command queuing make it too clunky.

I'm not sure that macros would be as helpful as you're hoping. Hitting a key to fire each ability is more flexible, anyway.

The one button Rift macro spamming is more of a product of spec design. The shaman is a 1 button monster, but 6 melee attacks have cooldowns, 4 are reactives, and it only has 1 non cd, non reactive attack. Most specs had 5-8 button rotations, that you could condense down to 3-4, and still have your long cooldowns and situationals within reach. The advantage there is you could take your eyes off the hotbar and see the fight. It made it a lot more mobile and you could still maintain steady dps on the move.

Swtor has the same reactives, conditionals and cooldowns, but without macros you have to have more of a feel for your keybinds - because there's a lot of them - and you'll be missing out on dps/dying stupidly because you can't see everything all the time.

Example: Trooper has 2 casted heals, almost identical in size, one's a bit faster cast but has a cooldown - macro it in and It'd free up a keybind and get used without first checking to see if it's available. Trooper also has a hard hitting shot that can only be used on a target with a dot on it - but trooper's only dot is a random chance that you can't control.

Healing without mouseovers is a pain too.

I don't want the game to play itself, I want to play efficiently without turning my left hand into a pretzel. I have a decent keyboard, but I can't really make macros on it, and saying that this is an effective solution only gives people with the money to get one an advantage.

^ ^

This, everything, again.

no @mouseover healing is why my Sorcerer is in a holding pattern at 16 until this is implemented. my healer muscle memory is too built in now to bother changing at this point.

And I do want to have my main 10 abilities on 5 buttons please. I'd like to be able to watch the fight rather than the hotbar, especially considering how mobile PvP is in SWTOR. It's a huge PITA to be watching for reactives and GCD's while being kited everywhere too. Oh, and I'ma biochem and have my reusable medkit, and 3 adrenals hotkeyed as well.

I have stuff mapped to f1-f12, 1-12 (- and =), Alt1-12, Shift1-5, Q, E, T, G, and F. I have a Naga Mouse and hit everything 7-12 with my thumb on the mouse.

And I am still watching my hotbars more than the great action taking place on my screen.

I don't understand the argument that having smart sequence macros detracts from the game. it lets me be FAR more immersed in the game, because I can WATCH the game, and not my buttons.

I played a Rogue in Rift up to Rank 7, and a Cleric up to rank 6 (before Rank 8 was introduced), and skill is/was still a huge factor.

Edited by Finis

I don't understand the argument that having smart sequence macros detracts from the game. it lets me be FAR more immersed in the game, because I can WATCH the game, and not my buttons.

In large, I agree with you. This specifically, I disagree with. It's likely true to an extent for PVP, but for PVE it completely numbs the game down to button mashing... oh there's the fire, better move, and back to button mashing.

Perhaps a compromise of smart sequences for reactives.. not a full rotation, but the chance to use reactives without staring at your bars.

Edited by AngryErik

/signed

I fully support macros! Before I start, let's be clear, I haven't played WoW since TBC, I am not going back to WoW, I like this game.

That being said, WoW had it built into the game. As the OP said, it allowed you to take many skills, and rotate through them, with a key press. Hell I don't even remember what I had set up, but as a Priest, I know I had 2 at least, that rotate through 3 spells, with a 5 sec delay, so after the first press, if I did not press again for the second spell, after 5 seconds it reset back to the first.

As the OP points out, this would free up MANY key slots. I currently have a macro that casts Crushing Darkness, and then casts Affliction, but they still take up 2 spots on my bars, instead of 1, and since the macro is timed, if I am being attacked when casting Crushing Darkness, Affliction does not fire, which isn't a huge deal, as I just hit the key for it after CD finishes.

MACROS MACROS MACROS!!!

I thought WAR had a lot of skills... this game has so many I almost need a second N52, in addition to my G510 and Naga Epic...

I don't see what the big deal is, as there is a GCD...

In large, I agree with you. This specifically, I disagree with. It's likely true to an extent for PVP, but for PVE it completely numbs the game down to button mashing... oh there's the fire, better move, and back to button mashing.

Perhaps a compromise of smart sequences for reactives.. not a full rotation, but the chance to use reactives without staring at your bars.

I'd settle for being able to make one simple IF THEN ELSE statement per macro.

IF "Retaliation" = Ready THEN use "Retaliation"

ELSE Use "Vicious Slash"

That's it, that's one macro. I don't need to string twenty commands together (like Rift let you do) Just that. that's all I want. Let me tie my reactives or long cooldowns to commonly mashed buttons.

(I am not a coder, if my syntax is wrong, don't flame me, you get the point)

if I am not using an IF/THEN/ELSe statement, let me sequence like... three things together

use "Saber Throw"

use "Force Charge"

use "Smash"

Start at the top, if one is unavailable, skip it and try the next one. I don't need twenty. Just two, or three.

Here is what I am staring at, I'm sure many of your UI's look the same, this is to illustrate how much the Hotbars command your attention.

http://www.shadowlandbbs.net/swtor/sylinui.jpg

I ask you, Where is the game?.

My eyes are so busy watching for cool downs and reactives to light up, during combat, my brain is too busy focusing on the red than to actually watch what's going on around me.

All I want is so macros to help clean this up and let me focus on the immersive world around me.

(For those wondering about my system, everything 1-6 is left hand from WASD, 7-12 is right hand with thumb on the Naga mouse)

Edited by Finis

The game is fine like it is, we dont need to be able to one button push to pvp, or to raid etc. thats so lame and I actually was very glad to see this game didnt have macros. macros ruined many MMO's and I hope that Bioware decides to keep the game the way it is , because first of all it is more challenging and you cant be lazy to pvp, raid or whatever. Im sorry but using macros in a already push button game is just lazy.

The game is fine like it is, we dont need to be able to one button push to pvp, or to raid etc. thats so lame and I actually was very glad to see this game didnt have macros. macros ruined many MMO's and I hope that Bioware decides to keep the game the way it is , because first of all it is more challenging and you cant be lazy to pvp, raid or whatever. Im sorry but using macros in a already push button game is just lazy.

You are confusing, "too lazy to learn the macro system to streamline my gaming experience" with "skilled", and "desiring a more efficient system to work in" with "lazy". Sorry for your confusion.

isn't sterotyping fun?