Legacy Names - More potential than what they're currently be utilized for...

Bald_Haliaeetus

-- Intro --

So I just unlocked my legacy name -woohoo!- and while I do like the system as-is, I see some potential in it that the current system isn't living up to.

For those of you who haven't gotten a chance to explore the legacy name feature, you basically get to choose whatever legacy name you want, and have the option of tacking that on to your current name, as a surname, or putting a caption under your name that reads <The (Legacy Name) Legacy> ...or you can choose not to display it at all.

So, if your character's name is Bill, and your legacy name is Smith, you can make it any of the following:

1:

Bill Smith

2:

Bill

<The Smith Legacy>

3:

Bill

-- Legacy Name As First Name --

The first potential improvement that comes to my mind, is to let us use our Legacy name as our first names (Smith Bill) ...the reason is that giving all of our characters the same last name makes it seem like some kind of weird family; especially odd when you consider that the members of that family are possibly different species, and even on opposing factions. Allowing our characters to share the same first name, but using their character name as a unique surname would still have the 'legacy' appeal because other players could identify you on sight, but would help prevent giving the appearance that your human, twilek, and chiss are all members of an immediate family.

-- Legacy Name As RealID-ish Communiation --

My second suggestion is to use the Legacy names as less-sucky version of Blizzard's RealID. For those of you not familiar with RealID, pretty much you add another player's e-mail address to your friends list and that player's real name is added, allowing you to send tells to any character on their account. ...that's right; your REAL name, and your e-mail address (half of your login info) are broadcasted to everyone who has you added as a "RealID" friend... posing not only a security hazard to the player's account, but possibly even the player him/her-self. Yea... GG Blizz.

Anyway, account wide communication isn't necessarily a bad thing; just keep real names and login info out of the equation - Adding someone's Legacy Name to you friends list would be a great alternative, imo. Afaik, Legacy names are 1-per-server, so account-wide comm might be out of the question, but it would allow you to interact with that friend's characters on the server in question.

-- Legacy Name As Display Name In Private Chat Channels --

Finally, it would be great to be able to use your Legacy name as your display name in controlled chat channels like guild and party. I wouldn't want to see this extended to general chat channels or things of that nature, simply because it could cause confusion if one player's legacy name was the same as another player's character name, so you could potentially have to "Smith"'s talking in the same channel... if that becomes an obstacle in guilds or groups, the players involved can solve it on their own with much less confusion. The reason for wanting this feature is alts. I'm in a guild with a bunch of friends I made in previous MMO's. We're a pretty tight group, bur keeping track of which character belongs to which player is a contant battle; we're all alt-o-holics. They all know me primarily as one name; I claimed that name as my legacy name, so being able to use that name in chat channels regardless of which character I'm actually on would be great, so they actually know that I'm me.

That's all. Please share your thoughts, and feel free to contribute to the list if you can think of another possible function for Legacy names.

-Hal

Edited by Bald_Haliaeetus

Like you I dig the idea behind Legacy names and hope that they continue to flesh them out and, allow for one to change them by some means. The RealID feature would be pretty useful and I could see that being a feature that some may like (assuming it was only for friend or maybe guild chat?). I disagree with the Legacy first part though. While your reasoning for this is understandable, and I do agree the varying Races tied to one legacy is slightly confusing from an immersion/continuity standpoint, it would be pretty awkward to do this as some individuals (myself included) use the legacy as an acceptable surname, and still others utilize it as a way of deepening the immersive nature of their role-playing. I think that the different races being tied to the same Legacy is handled continuity-wise at least, by the ability to put it under your name and thus be "Of the Legacy of XXX". This is a guess though.

I think there is much they can and *hopefully* will do to incorporate the ideas of Legacies into a meaningful part of the game. Though personally, I would like both the ability to change the Legacy (not mine personally but the option is needed for various and easily understood reasons) and to allow perhaps more than one Legacy per server. I would say a max of 4 Legacies per server to allow for 2 characters per Legacy (if one were so inclined). Perhaps they would allow for the choosing of this Legacy by the character as you level up or even at creation. Again this is just my thoughts on the matter so take it for what it is worth lol

An opt out for legacy names would be great.

It's annoying to have to keep closing the dialog box.

You could choose a word that's blatantly inapropriate for your legacy and just hoose not to show it; then when you when you want to change it, just self report...? Stupid that you'd have to take those kinds of measures to get the job done, but it does point out how broken the system is now.

I disagree with the Legacy first part though. While your reasoning for this is understandable, and I do agree the varying Races tied to one legacy is slightly confusing from an immersion/continuity standpoint, it would be pretty awkward to do this as some individuals (myself included) use the legacy as an acceptable surname, and still others utilize it as a way of deepening the immersive nature of their role-playing.l

Your name might not make a good first name, but that isn't reason to not include the option.