Group members placed in different instances...

Void_Singer

This is getting to the point of stupidity... if I zone to a planet where I was not at, and a group member is already there, it should put me in the same damn instance...

... worse, today while running GF VFP's on my lowbie, not only did it stick a group member in a different instance, they couldn't get into the one the rest of us were in via any method.... not map, not portrait, not exiting and retaking the travel option, nothing., Further, after they dropped TWO replacements ended up with the exact same problem.

seriously *** have you guys done to the code base?

Happened to me in a random master flashpoint (listed with gf).

I entered the flashpoint only to see that I was in a different instance as the rest.

No matter what I did (reenter - relog - log to a different char and relist) I couldn´t get to the team.

So yes groupfinder is sometimes buggy.

The planet thing just means that the other player was in a *full* instance. What exactly is the game supposed to do in that case?

It has been happening groupfinder flashpoints as well. I've had two where everyone had to leave, reset active phase, and reenter to get put into the same instance.

I'm confused. 🤔

This is getting to the point of stupidity... if I zone to a planet where I was not at, and a group member is already there, it should put me in the same damn instance...

If you are simply talking about zoning to a planet, I don't see the problem. Often, while a group is forming for an FP or OP, group members will continue to do individual things like dailies etc. I can't see a need for people to be in the same instance, until the FP or OP actually starts. Meanwhile, the system is just attempting to balance the instances or keep people out of a "full" and/or "closing" instance

Once you enter the FP our OP, it's just one instance, afaik.

If you're talking about something like a World Boss, that's actually done on a planet, then yeah it's a very minor annoyance.

... worse, today while running GF VFP's on my lowbie, not only did it stick a group member in a different instance, they couldn't get into the one the rest of us were in via any method.... not map, not portrait, not exiting and retaking the travel option, nothing., Further, after they dropped TWO replacements ended up with the exact same problem.

I can't say I've ever seen this happen. I can't say I've ever even noticed there being more than one instance of an FP. Are you just talking about being at the entrance to the FP? When you go through GF, you should all be transported to the same FP together.

In any case, if one or two people can't go to your instance because the instance is full, or whatever, why don't you just travel to their instance, or use "summon" to bring them there?

In all the FPs I've done - which is hundreds by now - I've never been in a different instance when entering. Even when joining a group in progress through GF. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

I'm confused. 🤔

If you are simply talking about zoning to a planet, I don't see the problem. Often, while a group is forming for an FP or OP, group members will continue to do individual things like dailies etc. I can't see a need for people to be in the same instance, until the FP or OP actually starts. Meanwhile, the system is just attempting to balance the instances or keep people out of a "full" and/or "closing" instance

I'm not the OP, but this can be repeatedly annoying, all day long, depending on what you're doing. I know it's probably rare nowadays with how quickly you level, but people used to sometimes quest with their friends. I recently talked a friend I played with at launch into coming back, and we started off doing what we'd done then--questing together. It's kind of annoying to be in a group on the fleet, travel to the instance the other person's in, then both go to say Tatooine, only to find that he's in Tatooine 3 and you're in Tatooine 5. So one of you swaps instances again, play for a bit, travel to Dromund Kaas... and you're in Dromund Kaas 2 and he's in Dromund Kaas 5. Not game breaking, but certainly annoying for one of you to need to zone twice every time you change zones.

I can't say I've ever seen this happen. I can't say I've ever even noticed there being more than one instance of an FP. Are you just talking about being at the entrance to the FP? When you go through GF, you should all be transported to the same FP together.

That's what *should* happen, but sometimes three people are dropped in a fresh Athiss, for example, with other group members around, while one person is dropped in a *different* fresh copy of Athiss, alone, as if the other group members are out of range/haven't zoned yet.

The planet thing just means that the other player was in a *full* instance. What exactly is the game supposed to do in that case?

you always have the option to travel to a group members planet instance, even when full..... but that's not even what's happening here, it's just completely random.

ETA to answer you question... it's supposed to put you in the same instance, period. there may be some kind of hard cap where even the portrait option to move is unavailable, and only THEN should it place people in a different instance.

Edited by Void_Singer

In any case, if one or two people can't go to your instance because the instance is full, or whatever, why don't you just travel to their instance, or use "summon" to bring them there?

There's an ongoing bug where doing what you suggest does not work, it happens with both Group Finder Operations and Flashpoints:

This happened to me yesterday twice once before & once after reset, we formed a group for group finder, once everyone had hit accept 1 person in the group was transported to the Dxun operation & the other 7 in the group were just removed from the party. All 8 could then do nothing, we could not reform the group as it said we were free to play even though all of us had subs, the person inside the Operation was in there solo & could not leave. The only option for us was to relog all the way out of the game, when we came back our guild tags, strongholds & legacy banks were gone, our conquest points were reset to zero & we could not chat because of the restrictions to free to play. We then all relogged out of the game again, when we returned from the 2nd relog everything was back to normal apart from a "Ghost" of every player appearing in the /who window.

ETA to answer you question... it's supposed to put you in the same instance, period. there may be some kind of hard cap where even the portrait option to move is unavailable, and only THEN should it place people in a different instance.

Well then, I 100% agree that it should put you in the same instance, even if it has to create a new one.

There's an ongoing bug where doing what you suggest does not work, it happens with both Group Finder Operations and Flashpoints:

Thank you, and Ssuspriina, for the clarification.

(ETA? - this one I really can't figure out. Eat This A******? Estimated Time to Answer? :rolleyes: )

Edited by JediQuaker

Last time I ran into the issue of split instances in a flashpoint, and the one person that was alone was unable to find a way to join us, we actually managed to solve it by having the rest of us leave and load back in. Since I've not seen it happen since that time, it's too small a sample size to be sure of anything, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a possible workaround.

I've never experienced the instancing issue to coincide with the other issues UlaVii mentions (though I have seen those issues on their own), so I am uncertain as to whether they're related, variations of the same bug or entirely different things.

But yeah, full planet instances aren't really anything that can be fixed, because it's not broken, just annoying.

Once you enter the FP our OP, it's just one instance, afaik.

If you're talking about something like a World Boss, that's actually done on a planet, then yeah it's a very minor annoyance.

it's a major annoyance when doing group activities, like heroic runs, achievement hunts, rampages, etc.... and more importantly, it used to work properly............... Now it doesn't and it's getting even more broken.

[...]Are you just talking about being at the entrance to the FP? When you go through GF, you should all be transported to the same FP together.

No, I'm not, and you are correct, it SHOULD, but infrequently DOES NOT.

Does not work, can't summon in an FP, none of the transfer methods works

In all the FPs I've done - which is hundreds by now - I've never been in a different instance when entering. Even when joining a group in progress through GF. 🤔

I can do upwards of a dozen a day, it's not common, but it does occur, and when it does, everyone gets screwed... it's impossible to get a replacement, because they'll all be bugged the same way, and if you're the odd one out, you're stuck solo.

As I said previously, I never had this happen ... until just last night. We formed a group to do Nathema MM and two people ended up in a different instance. The two of us in the "full" (red) instance simply exited and re-entered, and when we re-entered we arrived in the instance with the other two. A minor annoyance.

So, when/if that happens, have the people in the full instance just exit the FP, but don't exit the group. After you exit, depending upon where you end up, just click on the GF icon and "Travel now" or simply walk back into the instance.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 1 month later...
As I said previously, I never had this happen ... until just last night.

I'd never heard of it and saw it for the first time yesterday. One guy was in Instance 2, he didn't see us and we didn't see him. And as we all know some people take a long time to load so the three of us just started and were halfway to first boss when we noticed the problem. The lone guy actually exited and walked back in but he still wasn't placed with us, and we didn't think to test having the three others try that.

It's kind of annoying to be in a group on the fleet, travel to the instance the other person's in, then both go to say Tatooine, only to find that he's in Tatooine 3 and you're in Tatooine 5. So one of you swaps instances again, play for a bit, travel to Dromund Kaas... and you're in Dromund Kaas 2 and he's in Dromund Kaas 5. Not game breaking, but certainly annoying for one of you to need to zone twice every time you change zones.

Every cloud has a silver lining, think of it this way, if you are both in different instances, you can see which one is less populated, and the other person switches to that one. The game is busier these days, and a quieter instance is great when levelling :)

As I said previously, I never had this happen ... until just last night. We formed a group to do Nathema MM and two people ended up in a different instance. The two of us in the "full" (red) instance simply exited and re-entered, and when we re-entered we arrived in the instance with the other two. A minor annoyance.

So, when/if that happens, have the people in the full instance just exit the FP, but don't exit the group. After you exit, depending upon where you end up, just click on the GF icon and "Travel now" or simply walk back into the instance.

This has not worked on any of the occasions it has happened with a group I was in. leaving the instance and coming back put each person in the instance they were in previously, not together. it may however be unique to group finder, since I've never had it occur with a walk-in