PTS Permadeath, Event Server Challenges

Flightsaber

Just a thought, but what if characters created on the PTS could check a permadeath option? Rewards could be given for reaching milestones (simple stuff, like titles) without dying, which would encourage more testing from players/guilds that want the prestige. If something like an operation was being tested, maybe let players roll a permadeath character at cap and try it from scratch, get a title if they complete all bosses within the operation without ever dying on that character. If they fail, they can jump in on a normal character copy to complete the run but miss out on the title. It would encourage multiple runs from guilds for bug testing as they work to complete titles for the whole team.

Alternatively, hold a temporary event server (maybe 90 days?) where character copy functions are used for challenges (speed-running leaderboards for the eternal championship with preset characters, permadeath, 'classic mode' SWTOR at near original patch that lets characters transfer off afterwards, etc). If permadeath, make it clear that death is death and no appeals will be heard. Allow character transfer off of event servers back to live, or some progress to transfer back (some sort of carrot...armor set / mount / title / deco / etc).

Edited by Flightsaber

While perhaps novel and entertaining, I don't see the actual testing value of a god mode on the test server since there is no true full god mode in the game. It wouldn't be testing apples to apples.

Same would be true of a permadeath. You'd have code for permadeath on the test server, which might then be ported over to live by accident, and cause all sorts of unpredictability on the live servers. We have terminals to auto-level and give out loot on test server, and I always hope when PTS goes down and the patch goes to live that one day the devs will forget to activate those and we'll have all sorts of fun with the terminals in live.

Permadeath, however, is one code bleed that I wouldn't want to see go live.

Edited by xordevoreaux