Casual Player Gearing

bcfulford

I play SWTOR on a regular basis but generally do only story, heroics, and flashpoints. Getting gear for all my toons would take years. Would one set of gear work for all my dps toons, commando, shadow, smuggler, etc.? The same question for my healers and tanks,. Thanks.

I play SWTOR on a regular basis but generally do only story, heroics, and flashpoints. Getting gear for all my toons would take years. Would one set of gear work for all my dps toons, commando, shadow, smuggler, etc.? The same question for my healers and tanks,. Thanks.

It's a bit unclear what you are getting at here, but generally speaking, if you are just casually doing story, heroics, and flashpoints you only need to use the gear you pick up along the way and/or you can outfit your character with a set of mod-able armor and just buy appropriate level mods on the Fleet occasionally, as you level up an alt.

Once you get any character to Ossus/Onslaught, the basic gear you get just from doing the story, is enough to continue to do the content you want**. While you are doing the content, you will get better gear as rewards and drops. Just update your gear as you go along and don't get all wrapped up in getting to 306. You'll be fully 306 before you know it anyway.

I don't see the point in swapping one set of gear around when each alt can easily get their own gear - OR - keep running a level 75, 306 iRating toon through Flashpoints and transferring the BtL parts to your alts.

(Which is what I did. I ran 2 306 rating characters through flashpoints and dailies and used the extra parts to fully equip 4 other characters with 306 gear, once they got to 75.)

** Naturally, having 306 gear will make things easier and allow you to do harder content, but . . .

Quaker has all good advice.

If I understand your question correctly, yes, a DPS based set of gear should work just fine for any other DPS based class. If you're trying to min/max and get really detailed, perhaps that wouldn't be true. But for the average player it should work out great. So you can swap that set around while you build up enough "extra" to start outfitting your other toons as Quaker states above. This same principle should apply to healers and tanks as well. (One caveat: As a tank, I find that, for example, a JK/SW tank uses slightly different stat priorities than a JC/SI; irrespective of min/maxing. So there might be a bit of wiggle room there.)

It's a bit unclear what you are getting at here, but generally speaking, if you are just casually doing story, heroics, and flashpoints you only need to use the gear you pick up along the way and/or you can outfit your character with a set of mod-able armor and just buy appropriate level mods on the Fleet occasionally, as you level up an alt.

Once you get any character to Ossus/Onslaught, the basic gear you get just from doing the story, is enough to continue to do the content you want**. While you are doing the content, you will get better gear as rewards and drops. Just update your gear as you go along and don't get all wrapped up in getting to 306. You'll be fully 306 before you know it anyway.

I don't see the point in swapping one set of gear around when each alt can easily get their own gear - OR - keep running a level 75, 306 iRating toon through Flashpoints and transferring the BtL parts to your alts.

(Which is what I did. I ran 2 306 rating characters through flashpoints and dailies and used the extra parts to fully equip 4 other characters with 306 gear, once they got to 75.)

** Naturally, having 306 gear will make things easier and allow you to do harder content, but . . .

pretty much exactly what i did, and i still have a set for my next 75, the only question is which character i want next....

So you can swap that set around while you build up enough "extra" to start outfitting your other toons as Quaker states above.

Just to be clear, I was suggesting you don't bother to swap gear around. While levelling it's easiest just to get a set of common orange gear and occasionally upgrade the mods on the Fleet.

Once you get to Ossus/Onslaught, the gear you start with (from levelling) is good enough, there's no need to swap to better gear. You get better gear as you go through. You can just pass on extra 306 pieces without actually swapping gear.

In my case, the extra 4 characters I mentioned had 252 gear from Ossus. I simply took them through Onslaught to get to level 75 and then stuck full sets of 306 mods into their armor. (Either their same old armor or a new bonus set.)

Edited by JediQuaker

The gearing option I took, since I have so many alts iss simply this

Get up to 306 on the first toon, using anything I could get with the best item rating, ignroing all stats.

From there I'd swap that to other toons, continuing to collect the generic Onderanian right side/ Sha'tek left side gear, at 306, and leave those on the new alts till I had a whole set on each and didn't have to swap.

at the same time I concentrated gear purchases with tech fragments on sets that would benefit multiple characters (eg set gear I could swap).... as I completed a set of that, I'd move on to the next class, and once those were covered I'd start making duplicate sets.

I ONLY bother with augments for set gear, for the rest I just used ear/implants/stims to tweak the class requirements to hit my breakpoints.

doing that has allowed me to gear over a dozen toons in at least onderanian 306, with the option (and for some, default) of having set gear.

for cheap augments you can use the old IR 228 (augment 45) ones, or if you have the credits, go all in for the newest purples (286? it's Augment 74)