Is there a point to doing operations with the new gear system?

Raansu

Back to my original point, swtor's "horizontal" progression doesn't start till 306, and even then, its still completely RNG and leads to just spamming the same 2 FP's and making all the other content pointless. In FFXI you knew what rare monster or boss dropped what item. The drop could be 1% rate or 100%, but you still knew where to go and how to get it and the gear was always viable so the effort wasn't just erased by a new expansion. Bosses were also out in the open world and most were spawned using items (rare named monsters being the exception, they were on spawn timers anywhere from 1 hour to 72 hours), so there was no lockout raids like in modern MMO's. You had a "farm day" to farm the items and then a raid day to kill different bosses that you could spawn several times.

Not saying FFXI was better, but I miss the days of knowing where to get your gear and not being totally reliant on RNG.

I certainly agree with the conclusion. I myself got my first toon to 306 stealth spamming reaper, and frequently moan about the rise of the RNG gods.

As a first step, I wish they would raise the level cap of all content to 75, since we know that they're not making new content, and it's a mental hurdle I am unable to overcome to the point where I'm basically not playing that "endgame" has been reduced to 2 bosses.

It would be nice to have a way to target specific pieces other than the vendor. I still have 2 tacticals I want that arent avaliable on the vendor and I havent gotten off kai (my scoundrel healer, which I apparently missed when it was avaliable, and my guardian pvp tactical, which has never been avaliable).

At the very least, making gear avaliable (and not random) in operations would encourage people to do them instead of solo stealth spamming reaper.