Keep getting disconnected and kicked back to server select

arkanenoobie

For the last couple days now anytime i try to log into a character within less than a minute i get kicked out of the game to server select. I hate asking for help on these things as usually you always just get the exact same replies, but well i've tried everything i could find on others that have had similar issues in the past and nothings helped. I'm on Darth Malgus server.

Tried reinstalling the game completely.

Tried everything to do with my firewalls and anti-virus

Tried with and without Bitraider

Tried all kinds of PC diagnostics (which i know it has nothing to do with that)

Tried restarting my PC, restarting my router.

Tried playing with nothing else on my PC open or running.

so if anybody has any ideas i haven't tried yet then let me knowq. Literally the only thing that changed on my end between SWTOR working fine and these sudden crashes is that i became a subscriber. I subbed and then the next morning suddenly i could barely play the game.

edit 1: Have heard there are a lot of server lag and crash issues others are having too so maybe that's the problem? I have no idea. I just want to be able to play the game.

Edited by arkanenoobie

I posted this in another thread on the same topic. Maybe it can help you diagnose the problem too

I’ve a hypothesis.

If the EU data centre is like the US one, Bioware use multiple ISPs to connect to the web. And depending on your ISP’s routing arrangements with the internet backhaul companies, you might get routed into the game via a different connection. That is why some people have issues sometimes and other don’t.

The way to check this is to run ping plotter in the back ground while you play. If there are any issues at your end or between you and the data centre, it should show up. If there are issues going into the data centre, they will usually show up at the hop before it and at the first or second hop in to the server (last 2-3 hops)

If everything is clear in ping plotter and you see or are getting problems in the game, then you can use you ping plotter data to show Bioware it’s not you and it’s behind their fire wall to the actual server.

I say to the server and not the server itself because if others aren’t having this issue, then it’s not the actual server, but most likely an internal network problem on a faulty router (or software bug), port or cable (yes you’d be surprised).

When they moved the servers to the US east coast I had tonnes of problems and Bioware couldn’t see a problem on their end. I was able to supply my ping plotter data and it helped them fix it and talk to or change one of their ISPs who were causing the connection problems into the data centre for me.

Anyway, I may be wrong with what’s happening. But it wouldn’t hurt to have a look.

It shouldn’t take more than 5-10 mins to set up and I’ve never had an issue with it affecting game play while it’s running.

Even if doesn’t detect a problem it will confirm it’s not you or the routing. You will then have more ammunition to push Bioware for a resolution.

You will also have a useful tool at your disposal for any future ping or lag spikes for any game or connection to an IP address.

Edit: if you don’t know what ping plotter is, it’s a third party software tool that network engineers sometimes use. There is a free version too. http://www.pingplotter.com.

You will also need to get the server IP address if you don’t already have it.

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232 (this will be different for the EU servers)

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

For the last couple days now anytime i try to log into a character within less than a minute i get kicked out of the game to server select. I hate asking for help on these things as usually you always just get the exact same replies, but well i've tried everything i could find on others that have had similar issues in the past and nothings helped. I'm on Darth Malgus server.

so if anybody has any ideas i haven't tried yet then let me knowq. Literally the only thing that changed on my end between SWTOR working fine and these sudden crashes is that i became a subscriber. I subbed and then the next morning suddenly i could barely play the game.

edit 1: Have heard there are a lot of server lag and crash issues others are having too so maybe that's the problem? I have no idea. I just want to be able to play the game.

Not on Darth Malgus anymore, so haven't experienced this recently, but when I was a subscriber on there, there were quite a number if instances where it would get the red X of death then kick me back to Server Selection. It happened a lot in a certain spot on Belsavis (can't recall where exactly), so I know there's a bug in that spot. That's all I can think of is that it's a server side issue and nothing to do with what you're doing. I finally got fed up and transferred all my toons to Star Forge (8,000 CC later). Haven't had a problem since but I don't know if that's practical for you. Hope it gets resolved soon, and apologies that I couldn't be of more help/

Not on Darth Malgus anymore, so haven't experienced this recently, but when I was a subscriber on there, there were quite a number if instances where it would get the red X of death then kick me back to Server Selection. It happened a lot in a certain spot on Belsavis (can't recall where exactly), so I know there's a bug in that spot. That's all I can think of is that it's a server side issue and nothing to do with what you're doing. I finally got fed up and transferred all my toons to Star Forge (8,000 CC later). Haven't had a problem since but I don't know if that's practical for you. Hope it gets resolved soon, and apologies that I couldn't be of more help/

Sounds more network and connection problem than game bug or everyone would get it.

I'll try out pingplotter tomorrow, i;m currently way too burned out from trying things to fix the issue already today. Though i am tempted to just give up and try logging in again in like a week. Since it was an issue i've only had the last 2 days, (though i've spent most of those 2 days installing and reinstalling the games than anything. So there's a chance it will just sort itself out eventually. Since i was playing the game perfectly fine before Friday.

As i mentioned, i;m not someone who just jumps right to the forums when something doesn't work, i'll go look up everything i can on issues similar to mine and try everything to fix it myself first. Just nothing's worked, which is frustrating. Maybe it is just a server issue, or some kind of server connection problem, in which case, probably will just sort itself out in time.

Will be annoying to have like a week of my subscription wasted but oh well. It happens. Only just came back to the game less than a week ago since wanted to give the post KotET content and Onslaught a go, since i've been away from the game since pre Jedi's Under Siege. Looks like that's on hold again xD

• 2 months later...
had the same for the past one and a half weeks... started a thread, got no answer... especially sucky when this happens when a rare ranked game pops... i accept the invite, go to the loading screen... disconnect.. whenever i change a cell via loadingscreen... 40/60 % chance tha i get disconnected... lost 5(!!!) games worth of rating this way, plus the usual 15 minutes lockout everytime... please fix immediatelly... happens exclusively when changing cells and having to go through a loading screen... Server is Tulak Hord

• 3 months later...

I don't know how to post my pingplott. But It's below..

Target Name: 159.153.65.232

IP: 159.153.65.232

Date/Time: 7/18/2020 12:38:39 PM - 7/18/2020 12:48:39 PM

Hop Sent PL% Min Max Avg Host Name / [iP]

1 244 0 0.01 5.91 0.71 192.168.1.1 [192.168.1.1]

2 243 100 0 0 0 [-]

3 244 0 7.35 135.16 14.62 096-034-130-132.biz.spectrum.com [96.34.130.132]

4 244 0 8.14 87.14 16.18 dtr01kllrtx-tge-0-2-0-2.kllr.tx.charter.com [96.34.112.117]

5 244 0 9.84 48.29 16.29 bbr02dllstx-bue-1.dlls.tx.charter.com [96.34.2.34]

6 244 0 10.68 28.50 13.60 prr02dllstx-bue-2.dlls.tx.charter.com [96.34.3.91]

7 244 0 9.00 53.86 12.72 lag-5.ear4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.68.110.45]

8 243 100 0 0 0 ae-1-3502.ear3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.206.77]

9 244 0 53.94 86.14 56.91 4.79.23.202 [4.79.23.202]

10 244 0 53.66 99.57 56.62 159.153.92.10 [159.153.92.10]

11 244 0 53.42 116.02 56.97 159.153.92.86 [159.153.92.86]

12 244 0 53.21 159.44 57.37 159.153.65.232 [159.153.65.232]

Been happening to me on Star Forge for almost two months... every time I submit a ticket it gets closed with no action other than tier one recommendations... dns flush, restart router, xp sp3, administrative rights, av off... I have run a ping plotter and I have 100% packet loss at the last server before the game ip... I get no response when I mention this in game ticket or to the tier one email that I receive occasionally. I was hoping that the patch next week would address this but I have ZERO confidence at this point. I am at the point of finding a new franchise to play for a while as I am not confident enough in my connection to que for flashpoints or ops... limited to solo play with FREQUENT DCs... red x, kicked to server screen, no servers, shut down and restart game and play for another random amount of time until dc again. FRUSTRATING and ANNOYING!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
been trying to find anything for ages, stumbled across this thread... i keep getting DCd every 3-4 Cell-changes... trying to enter a BG.... DC... trying to enter a FP...dc... it happens relatably every 3-4 loadingscreens and by now it has driven me *********** insane, because i can pinpoint it, but can t find any reason for it whatsoever...

so if anybody has any ideas i haven't tried yet then let me know.

You didn't mention 'drivers' on this list. Check that ALL your drivers - graphics, audio, chipset, LAN/network, etc - are up to date.

Check the website for your computer brand/model, or your motherboard model, for new drivers. Get the latest graphics driver from your graphics card manufacturer (AMD or nVidia).

I can't get no further than the list of servers, every time I try to enter "Satele Shan", where my characters are, it only gives me a message that says: "A connection error has occurred. If this problem persists please visit http://www.swtor.com/support to contact our Costumer Service Team." And this happens to me on all servers. I already tried all kinds of things with the antivirus, the firewall, uninstalling the game ... Etc. I am a subscriber from Costa Rica, so I have no one to call and I don't know where to write. I have this issue since tree days ago. Edited by Acarantasor

I can't get no further than the list of servers, every time I try to enter "Satele Shan", where my characters are, it only gives me a message that says: "A connection error has occurred. If this problem persists please visit http://www.swtor.com/support to contact our Costumer Service Team." And this happens to me on all servers. I already tried all kinds of things with the antivirus, the firewall, uninstalling the game ... Etc. I am a subscriber from Costa Rica, so I have no one to call and I don't know where to write. I have this issue since tree days ago.

try emailing " support@swtor.com "

• 2 years later...