Cartel coin referral questions

TrixxieTriss

I’ve always wondered about the amount of cartel coins awarded for referrals. In the past, sometimes it’s awarded 500, 600, 900 and even 1500 (once) cartel coins when some subscribes from a referral link.

I’ve always figured that was based on how many months they originally pay for or if they add a security device at the same time. But I’ve always wondered if that’s true and how long would someone have subscribed to get 1500 as a referral reward.

Since a few months before the expansion to now, I’m getting 100 cartel coins for new subscriptions (I don’t mean the reoccurring amount). Which is obviously well below the 500 I got when people signed 1 month subs in the past. What’s strange is my wife still gets 500 or 600 when someone subscribes using her referral.

Has something changed and is something weird happening with cartel coins? I’ve noticed that some subscribers aren’t even getting their personal monthly allocation of CC’s at moment or on time. Is the system bugged or the data base has data corruption?

Anyone else noticed this or have some extra info?

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/friends-of-swtor/

500 Complimentary Cartel Coins plus 100 Cartel Coins for each month your referred friend remains a Subscriber.

If one of your referred friends has used a referral link before, you will get a 100 Cartel Coin initial bonus instead of 500, but you’ll still get the 100 Cartel Coins a month as long as you and they both stay subscribed.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/friends-of-swtor/

500 Complimentary Cartel Coins plus 100 Cartel Coins for each month your referred friend remains a Subscriber.

If one of your referred friends has used a referral link before, you will get a 100 Cartel Coin initial bonus instead of 500, but you’ll still get the 100 Cartel Coins a month as long as you and they both stay subscribed.

Thanks Owen.

Whats the deal though when sometimes it’s more than 500+100 or less than 500, but higher than 100?

Sometimes I’ve received 400cc and the maximum I’ve received was 1500cc and also 900cc. Is that because of prepaying 6 or 12 months?

In a perfect world, they wouldn't provide CC to players for getting existing players who are already subbed and already paying to click links.

I mean who thought it was a good idea to provide free CC to players for spamming starter / capital worlds, Fleet, the forms, etc with referral links.

in a perfect world they would increase 100cc per month from when they first became subscribed until they end the sub.

but the system isnt perfect sometimes ....

I take it you mean "100 the first month, 200 the second, 300 the third, and so on" rather than "100 the first, 200 in total for the first and second combined, 300 in total for the first three combined" (which is how it works now).

The answer is no, that would be excessive. My toppest so-called friend is still subscribed and has provided me with 3600 coins. Assuming that this was that person's first click (so granted the extra 500), your proposal would have granted me an additional 43400 CCs just from this person.

I mean, I could go for that (except that I would have no idea what to do with all those CCs), but I think it's a bit much.

Thanks Owen.

Whats the deal though when sometimes it’s more than 500+100 or less than 500, but higher than 100?

Sometimes I’ve received 400cc and the maximum I’ve received was 1500cc and also 900cc. Is that because of prepaying 6 or 12 months?

Sometimes you only start at the 100 because that person already used a referal, so even though it's the first time they used yours, it doesn count as a 'first time' so you start at 100, and then build up, as long as they stay subbed.

In a perfect world, they wouldn't provide CC to players for getting existing players who are already subbed and already paying to click links.

I mean who thought it was a good idea to provide free CC to players for spamming starter / capital worlds, Fleet, the forms, etc with referral links.

Not to mention all the people that trick users to get the cc's, then don't pay up :/ The old referal system was better, imo.

but you’ll still get the 100 Cartel Coins a month as long as you and they both stay subscribed.

I take it you mean "100 the first, 200 in total for the first and second combined, 300 in total for the first three combined"

My first post says 100 cc a month , so the total displayed for that person increases by 100 per month ....

This is true, however I've used the ref. links in the past prior to returning to subscription status after a hiatus, just to check things out without restrictions. So it does have some merit that literally costs BioWare nothing.

The other option would be for them to offer old subscribers a discount to entice them back assuming they've enabled communications in account settings. However that would possibly cost them revenue, where the CC doesn't really cost anything.

I do however think BioWare need to add something in-game alongside the report spam option, report "referral abuse", so those players doing that on starter planets get removed from the referral system completely. I'm guessing that isn't how BioWare intended for it to be used.

This is true, however I've used the ref. links in the past prior to returning to subscription status after a hiatus, just to check things out without restrictions. So it does have some merit that literally costs BioWare nothing.

The other option would be for them to offer old subscribers a discount to entice them back assuming they've enabled communications in account settings. However that would possibly cost them revenue, where the CC doesn't really cost anything.

I do however think BioWare need to add something in-game alongside the report spam option, report "referral abuse", so those players doing that on starter planets get removed from the referral system completely. I'm guessing that isn't how BioWare intended for it to be used.

If they banned players caught spamming their links on the forums and in-game from the program (including removal of any CC on the account), that would cut down substantially on the link spam.

I really don't care about all the people with links in their signatures - though I feel it makes the forums look a bit trashy - I've used them in the past to get a 7 day sub status just to check in.

I do find it dumb from a business perspective to provide benefit to random player A for getting random player B to click a link, when A and B have no relationship whatsoever, and A and B are both currently subscribers.

Sure CC costs Bioware nothing, but items purchased with CC have value to players, and providing means to obtain substantial amounts of CC without paying simply lessens the revenue potential associated with items in the store.

Edited by DawnAskham

Those people irritate me to no end. I always try to mess up their sales, but then they get so-called "true stories" of "I clicked the link and my life is so much better now!" to back them up, which I'm pretty sure are in on the scams. Often, when I find the person doing the spamming, they're in the same guild as all of the high-level "this guy is a saint!" crowd.