Which Graphics Card would work better?

HileyQuiggley

I'm struggling with fps drops in warzones and wondering what I can do for a quick fix for now until I get a newer GC. I have the following choices:

NVIDEA GeForce 730 gt 2GB (currently using)

AMD Radeon HD 6550D Integrated

The NVIDEA Just doesn't seem to be doing the trick, tried all types of fixes for it. Still dropping to single digit fps in WZ's.

System Specs:

Windows 7

Processor: AMD A8-3800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.40 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 16 GB

System Type: 64 Bit

Processor cores: 4

Because this is an online MMO it's (additionally) your cpu that's the problem.

In a single player game fps is mostly your gpu and lowering graphics settings helps a lot.

However in the multiplayer world of swtor you go into any area with other players doing stuff especially fighting and your cpu suddenly has loads of extra information to process which affects fps. Your cpu is not very fast and even if you put in the best possible graphics card you would have very bad fps because of how multiplayer is affected by the cpu.

There's no easy fix, swtor uses a game engine which isn't great in the first place and a computer which can run it well is a lot more expensive than your current computer.

Edited by Gyronamics

As the guy above said, it's your CPU(APU) that is the problem. About the only easy thing you could do would be to replace the APU with a faster model - but it would mostly need a higher speed, not more cores.

You could also try overclocking the A8, but you wouldn't get that much improvement.

It's probably not worthwhile to try to upgrade the A8 with anything that would be compatible with the motherboard, so a complete CPU, motherboard, and RAM upgrade is in your future. I'd recommend something like an AMD Ryzen 3500/3600, or better, if you can swing it.

EDIT -upon looking up the A8 APU, it seems that it may be an FM1 socket, model, in which case there's really no way to just upgrade the CPU. 😥

Graphics-wise, the Geforce 730 is probably not much better than the built in APU graphics. Whichever one gives you better graphics in normal play would be the one to use. One way to determine the graphics level is to:

- set the graphics to low.

- note the typical fps you get just moving around in your Stronghold or whereever (ctrl-shift-f)

- Then turn the graphics settings up until the displayed fps starts to be affect or the card can't do it, and then turn things down a scootch.

- use whichever graphics solution gives the best rsults.

In any case, you'll find that the graphics settings will have no effect on your fps in warzones (unless you crank them way up).

BTW - 16 Gigs of RAM is plenty. Unfortunately, it (DDR3) is probably not compatible with newer CPUs (DDR4).

- Windows 7 is fine.

Edited by JediQuaker

You would think that ANY decent card or CPU would be fine considering this game was made in 2011. I still still get drops and lag in huttballs on a brand new computer :(

Um, no, you wouldn't necessarily think that. For one thing, CPUs haven't actually gotten much faster since 2011. Mostly they've just gotten more cores, but since SWTOR only uses, at most, 2 cores/threads, more cores don't help. It's clock speed that mostly matters to SWTOR, and clock speeds have basically stalled at 4-5Ghz.

Also, just because a computer is "brand new" doesn't mean it's necessarily better. A brand new Toyota Corolla is not faster than a 2011 Corvette. 😋

(But yes, even a new i9-9900K will have fps drops in PvP, etc. But it will be playable.)

Um, no, you wouldn't necessarily think that. For one thing, CPUs haven't actually gotten much faster since 2011. Mostly they've just gotten more cores, but since SWTOR only uses, at most, 2 cores/threads, more cores don't help. It's clock speed that mostly matters to SWTOR, and clock speeds have basically stalled at 4-5Ghz.

Also, just because a computer is "brand new" doesn't mean it's necessarily better. A brand new Toyota Corolla is not faster than a 2011 Corvette. 😋

(But yes, even a new i9-9900K will have fps drops in PvP, etc. But it will be playable.)

Um, yes. the average person WOULD think think newer is better as far as computers go.