Odessen Proving Grounds The Best

limenutpen

I will let the video make the talking, but I had a couple great runs in Odessen yesterday.

This was a win by a couple of points. :D

The most creative Warzone in Swtor, it is becoming a favorite in recent times, and as I said if you do not like it, then better leave objective PvP and just focus on Arenas.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/526446177

Edited by limenutpen

I will let the video make the talking, but I had a couple great runs in Odessen yesterday.

The most creative Warzone in Swtor, it is becoming a favorite in recent times, and as I said if you do not like it, then better leave objective PvP and just focus on Arenas.

It was my favorite since day one it ended up in the game .

The map is the ultimate : " Are you an idiot test ? "

The stupidity people can show on that map never ceases to amaze me as it's out for 3 years and a lot of folk are still clueless on that map .

It's very good for objective play as you are kinda forced to go for obj if you want to win.

It's also very good for duels . In case you are the guy that doesn't give a damn and seek some 1v1 2 v1 challenges, this map will offer them to you if you seek them out .

Over the years this map was the one I had the most fun in and it was also the map that had the most incredible turnarounds . games that were 1000% lost ended up being won and games that easy cake wins ended up being lost . ;) I will never understand why so many hate this map as it's MUUCH better than any garbage hutball we got lately.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Odessen is objectively the worst PvP map, mechanically speaking.

Games of equal skill will be determined by mod RNG, spawn RNG and class comp RNG.

Sure it's possible to compensate for the RNG when teams aren't equally skilled or "trying to win" but on a relatively equal playing field, the team with a sniper for red mod has an advantage, the team who gets the respawn on a node they controlled last round gets an advantage, the team that gets the most green mods has an advantage and the team that gets the most blue mods gets an advantage.

In the video you linked.

Round 1: You get a green. If you had rolled any other mod you would have scored 0 points until midway through that round. The enemy team gets a blue so despite the fact the lost the southern node they receive no punishment for poor distribution. Because of RNG.

Round 2: Enemy team gets a green and uses it to activate North. They then also get a blue and use it at North turning what should have been nothing into what should have been about 150 points. Because of RNG.

The three of you did some nice play to pull them out of the North spawn to cap it, one competent enemy player would have stopped it but obviously that's not on you. It was a good use of your combined abilities.

Round 3: Enemy team gets a virtual free cap because North activates, your team gets a free cap on Hanger because the enemy team doesn't go there. The rest of the round is your team zerging after a guy who has green and horribly distributing yourselves. Fortunately for you, round 4 happens.

Round 4: The guy with green has "kited" you to the North spawn, which activates giving you a free cap and a green. Had that player kited better you'd have half of your team out of position at the start of the round but you didn't. Because of RNG. One of their players actually stands outside the box and lets you cap North.

Enemy team gets another green and activates Hanger, your team gets a blue to use at Middle.

Round 5: North spawns AGAIN, but for some reason, the two players who were just there have abandoned it in what I can only assume is a 300 IQ play I simply don't understand. Doesn't matter though because you get green. Again. Doesn't really matter though because you use green at Middle when a sniper is chasing you then die, giving him the node.

Round 6: 5 players from your team chase 1 (I think) enemy North trying to kill him and messing up your teams distribution again. Doesn't matter though because North spawns again rewarding you once more for bad play. Hanger spawns which is fortunate seeing as you have a guy standing there with blue. You also get an Orange mod which doubles the speed on North resulting in your victory by 2 points. Blue would have had the same result so congratulations on winning a 50/50 coin toss to win the game.

Doesn't look like either team had a dedicated healer, probably why the mindless zerging was so effective.

This game is a great example on how no one knows how to play PvP objectives and an even better example on how large a swing RNG has on this map.

I have no issue with people liking the map, players are allowed to enjoy whatever content they enjoy, I'm just pointing out that this map is an absolute mess. You're welcome to keep enjoying it, I'm not the fun police.

TLDR: it was won because of RNG. It was lost because of RNG.

Good analysis, but RNG does go both ways as you point out.

I have games when it really does turn against you, but possibly it is just an excuse. I had a game that I lost by three points some time before.

RNG is what you make of it, like in life it is what you make of situations bad or good.

In Swtor in all maps the team with the most players trying to win, lets say playing objectives (it is just not only that really) usually wins. Yes nowadays that is about 2 or 3 if you are lucky, as mostly are just zerging around.

Games of equal skill will be determined by mod RNG, spawn RNG and class comp RNG.

Sure it's possible to compensate for the RNG when teams aren't equally skilled or "trying to win" but on a relatively equal playing field, the team with a sniper for red mod has an advantage, the team who gets the respawn on a node they controlled last round gets an advantage, the team that gets the most green mods has an advantage and the team that gets the most blue mods gets an advantage.

In the video you linked.

Round 1: You get a green. If you had rolled any other mod you would have scored 0 points until midway through that round. The enemy team gets a blue so despite the fact the lost the southern node they receive no punishment for poor distribution. Because of RNG.

Round 2: Enemy team gets a green and uses it to activate North. They then also get a blue and use it at North turning what should have been nothing into what should have been about 150 points. Because of RNG.

The three of you did some nice play to pull them out of the North spawn to cap it, one competent enemy player would have stopped it but obviously that's not on you. It was a good use of your combined abilities.

Round 3: Enemy team gets a virtual free cap because North activates, your team gets a free cap on Hanger because the enemy team doesn't go there. The rest of the round is your team zerging after a guy who has green and horribly distributing yourselves. Fortunately for you, round 4 happens.

Round 4: The guy with green has "kited" you to the North spawn, which activates giving you a free cap and a green. Had that player kited better you'd have half of your team out of position at the start of the round but you didn't. Because of RNG. One of their players actually stands outside the box and lets you cap North.

Enemy team gets another green and activates Hanger, your team gets a blue to use at Middle.

Round 5: North spawns AGAIN, but for some reason, the two players who were just there have abandoned it in what I can only assume is a 300 IQ play I simply don't understand. Doesn't matter though because you get green. Again. Doesn't really matter though because you use green at Middle when a sniper is chasing you then die, giving him the node.

Round 6: 5 players from your team chase 1 (I think) enemy North trying to kill him and messing up your teams distribution again. Doesn't matter though because North spawns again rewarding you once more for bad play. Hanger spawns which is fortunate seeing as you have a guy standing there with blue. You also get an Orange mod which doubles the speed on North resulting in your victory by 2 points. Blue would have had the same result so congratulations on winning a 50/50 coin toss to win the game.

Doesn't look like either team had a dedicated healer, probably why the mindless zerging was so effective.

This game is a great example on how no one knows how to play PvP objectives and an even better example on how large a swing RNG has on this map.

I have no issue with people liking the map, players are allowed to enjoy whatever content they enjoy, I'm just pointing out that this map is an absolute mess. You're welcome to keep enjoying it, I'm not the fun police.

TLDR: it was won because of RNG. It was lost because of RNG.

Yup, this sums up things perfectly.

8v8 ranked isn't a thing anymore so I guess the devs didn't care.

Edited by RACATW

I'd just like to add that you're a terrible power tech.

But its a hard class so: gold star.

MFW you don't MVP your guildie at the end :rak_02:

Just re'spec to Pyro from tank. Was always bad in it even in tank. Still I guess being bad is still better then most. :D

Still I did pull out 10k dps last week with some 300k protection. Which I think is not bad for a Pyro Noob.

Also yesterday I was playing like three classes; first I was healing with Scoundrel, then I did Jugg in Rage (also just switched from tank), and then this.

I am sorry for the missed MvP I just joined SLC and I am not aware who is who, since no one ever asked to play together. Since I re-subbed I have been mostly a loner bar a few occasions, and I just switch each class whatever my mood is.

Rng or not Rng Odessen is still a better map, then say Voidstar and its stupid 2 rounds (if some-1 opens a door in the first two minutes u r most of the time screwed), and even more stupid is the Aldeeraan CW where half points advantage guarantees you a win over the other team even one turret. It's very difficult to have nice games in these maps.

I can see the point in Rng but in full games it rarely goes one way. But hey those that live in England always blame the sky for being grey...

Just pulling your leg. 10k dps is very good, well in.

It's also not like there's a protocol where you have to MVP your guildmates

Objective PVP is amazing when you get a good team.

Games like that is why I've not unsubbed since 5.10

The whole reasoning is absurd. First of all, assuming equally skilled teams is unrealistic, it may only happen theoretically, therefore this aspect is weightless. Second, team composition matters the least in Odessen of all warzones; instead, it relys the most on individual skills (map overview, understanding class specialities, hindering node cap/mod activation, survival, tactical approach of decesion making).

Third, RNG of active mods or turrets is to be eliminated (or at least lessened) by the team by covering them all. If an enemy gets a mod/covers a node instead of your team, then you were not preparing for next round properly. Also, different mods may be saved for next round or even be replaced. Finally, snipers with red mod should be shut down before they make it to the node, not once they start to activate it; not to mention they are not the only class with temporary stun/interrupt immunity.

You identify the problems of the map with bad design, whereas the real source of the problem is the playerbase. It is not Bioware's fault that players are cluless or don't care. Again, it would be best if DPS/HPS were not rewarded/displayed at all, so these kind of players would be forced to play arena if they want to show ePen. Furthermore, everyone should be able to deselect maps they do not wish to play. Problem solved.

Edited by varietasplus