Question from a newb

Randomly_Epic

I'm still pretty new to the game, i'm lvl 46 right now. The question that I have is about crafting lightsabers. I picked up artifice, treasure hunting, and archaeology so I could craft my own lightsabers and mods. But all the lightsabers I have made so far can't take mods, only a couple were augmented, which were useless as all I could change was the color crystal. I'm still using the first lightsaber I got back on Tython because with mods, it's the strongest. So, can I make moddable lightsabers from crafting? and if so, how? I've read through some guides that talked about criting, but they were all written years ago before the 4.0 patch. If I do have to get a crit when crafting a lightsaber, how many would I have to make 20, 50,1000, just a guess would be fine.

I'm still pretty new to the game, i'm lvl 46 right now. The question that I have is about crafting lightsabers. I picked up artifice, treasure hunting, and archaeology so I could craft my own lightsabers and mods. But all the lightsabers I have made so far can't take mods, only a couple were augmented, which were useless as all I could change was the color crystal. I'm still using the first lightsaber I got back on Tython because with mods, it's the strongest. So, can I make moddable lightsabers from crafting? and if so, how? I've read through some guides that talked about criting, but they were all written years ago before the 4.0 patch. If I do have to get a crit when crafting a lightsaber, how many would I have to make 20, 50,1000, just a guess would be fine.

Disclaimer: the advice below applies to all crafting crew skills.

To be able to craft moddable gear (weapons of any type or armour of any type), you need to find schematics (called "recipes" in other games) for them. They are pretty rare these days, but they do still drop occasionally, either from slain foes or from e.g. Treasure Hunting missions. You might be able to find the relevant schematics on the GTN, of course.

And criticals on gear always produce an [Augmented] version of the item, which means that it has a slot for an Augment type modification built in. Criticals on other items (mods, enhancements, crystals, dyes, armorings, hilts barrels, etc.(1)) produce extra copies.

A companion with Influence Rank 50 produces criticals about one time in four.

(1) Not sure about gadgets (Cybertech only), but that category contains only speeders, and they are kinda meh speeders at that.

[...]can I make moddable lightsabers from crafting? and if so, how? [...]

Yes, there are schematics for moddable lightsabers... though not many.... Midlithe is the one that comes to mind immediately, and it's schematic is very cheap on GTN, as well as being a random drop from grade 8 Treasure Hunting misssions... it's also ugly as sin

ETA:

there are however a BUNCH of other weapons in Armstech, like vbroswords that are moddable, and some of them even look nice.

/ETA

as Steve noted, critical success when crafting gear just results in Augment slots (basically a free mini bonus now that they can be added via other means)

the basic formula for crafting crit chance is the total of the following (and not what the broken display says)

• Subscriber bonus (10% orange difficulty or 15% all others)
  • Companion level * 0.5% (rounded down to whole percentage)
  • Legacy bonus (1-3%)
  • Guild Fortune Bonus (2%)
  • Guild Crafting Crit Perk (1-3%)
  • Guild Professional Training Skill (+5% if active at completion)

Edited by Void_Singer

Thanks a lot for the information. One last question, can I still get schematics by deconstructing weapons that I find or craft?

The removed the chance to get schematics from deconstructing gear/weapons years ago.

You can get purple schematics (a minor upgrade) by deconstructing the blue quality ones that you craft, but they will not be moddable unless they're tier 11, so are really not worth making.

As far as moddable weapons, the only ones available now for new artificers are the custom lightsaber/doublesaber, elegant lightsaber/doublesaber, and midlith lightsaber/offhand/doublesaber.

The custom saber schematics are rare drops from tier 2 treasure hunting missions, the elegant drop from tier 6 I think. They are very rare drops though, just keep checking the GTN for the schematics.

Thanks a lot for the information. One last question, can I still get schematics by deconstructing weapons that I find or craft?

the only schematics you can get now are from the vendor, missions skill drops, or deconstruction of your own crafted pieces. I beleive ther are some old pieces of pre-command gear on the vendor that RE into improved versions, but AFAIK they are all static stats.

there is a minor exception in mods/armoring of the previous generation (AKA useless), that currently still drop from Operations bosses, and the ice scrabbler jerky (required for a pet) that drops randomly on ice planets.