Random Deaths

unknownplayertag

If another player has clicked on me and has clicked on "follow player" then on occasion that other player will die from 0 fall damage. Note to Swtor developers; if you have a player death log then you will see that the character "darkrey" from the starforge server has died on occasion from 0 fall damage.

Even though this is very rare and hard to replicate it's annoying because when I'm trying to replay the sith warrior story, I always have to go back to the medical center probably because the character falls through the map which actually happened in nar shada.

If your asking "why would you have someone follow you for over 30 minutes"? It's because I'm trying to do the sith warrior story as a sith inquisitor.

(Right now I have no video footage of this.)

Edited by unknownplayertag

• 5 months later...
If another player has clicked on me and has clicked on "follow player" then on occasion that other player will die from 0 fall damage. Note to Swtor developers; if you have a player death log then you will see that the character "darkrey" from the starforge server has died on occasion from 0 fall damage.

Even though this is very rare and hard to replicate it's annoying because when I'm trying to replay the sith warrior story, I always have to go back to the medical center probably because the character falls through the map which actually happened in nar shada.

If your asking "why would you have someone follow you for over 30 minutes"? It's because I'm trying to do the sith warrior story as a sith inquisitor.

Suffering the exact same thing with shocking regularity: Any time I attempt to follow my friend, I will randomly die of 0 fall damage. This seems to happen most consistently on Tatooine's sand dunes, and can happen within 10 seconds of starting to follow. I have also had this plunge me straight through the game's mesh and into an infinite void abyss beneath the map. There is absolutely no possible excuse for the code for this function to be so broken in this particular way: Literally unheard of.

Literally unheard of.

Incorrect. It happened often in Runes of Magic. Two-seat mounts made it worse still. The problem was caused by the servers being tolerant of client/server sync issues (client thinks you're <<== here, while the server thinks you're ==>> there) up to a point(1), but as soon as you went beyond that point, the server decided that too much was too much, and it resynchronised everything by the very, very simple expedient of killing your character.

On a two-seat mount(2) (or in any other automated following mechanism, the system must keep *three* positions in sync (the server, my client, your client), and although the server regards itself as the ultimate authority on what's where, if you're following me, it treats my client as more authoritative than yours, so it kills you if your client gets too out of whack with me and/or with it. (I know you're following me, so I calculate where you should be and I think you're ==> there. You think the same thing, but you think you're <<<<==== there because your client's got a hugely out-of-whack idea of where I am. The server knows absolutely to disregard what your client says about where I am, but it concludes that something needs to be resynchronised, and kills you.)

These synchro problems are made worse by large ping times, but they are clearly visible (if non-fatal) even with two machines side by side on an Internet link that gives a 25ms ping time. You can loot that dead soldier whose feet are sticking out of the wall, but I can't because I think he is entirely inside the wall.

(1) That tolerance led to a host of other, more annoying problems (in each one, the condition before "because" is what I think, and the condition after "because" is what the server thinks):

* Cannot shoot fireballs at that bear in front of me because it is behind me.

* Cannot shoot fireballs at that bear two metres in front of me because it is thirty-two metres away.

* Cannot shoot fireballs at that bear on my side of that hill because it is on the other side of the hill and I cannot shoot through the hill.

(2) This was so bad in RoM that when they announced a six-seat mount, it was ridiculed on the forums as a way to kill five friends at once.

Actually it happens a lot when on follow, usually when going up or down an incline, or when following a char who uses a gap closer. In my experience. And if the person is still on follow and they go back to base they still try to follow, which results in insta death...lol. I've seen it happen a lot when people have to go afk, and just stick themself on follow...lol