Making money without a pre-slicing nerf main...

Archereon

One of the big problems I hadwith WoW was that you were screwed if you didn't take all gathering skills on your first char...

I'm currently working on a BH, level 15, and I'm alreadly running into credit trouble. My crew skills are cybertech, scavenging and underworld trading. Do I need to drop the crafting skill , or will I be able to make money? If yes, what strategy should I pursue?

One of the big problems I hadwith WoW was that you were screwed if you didn't take all gathering skills on your first char...

I'm currently working on a BH, level 15, and I'm alreadly running into credit trouble. My crew skills are cybertech, scavenging and underworld trading. Do I need to drop the crafting skill , or will I be able to make money? If yes, what strategy should I pursue?

Are you spending a lot of credits on the GTN or buying blues from vendors?

I have the opposite experience of you.

I have had zero troubles with credits while leveling, have Bioanalysis, Biochem and Diplomacy above my characters level.

The thing is I do not spend my credits on anything other then training, repairs and Diplomacy missions.

With the info given what I would suggest is...

Don't send you crew on scavenging missions, only skill up scavenging in the real world, there are plenty of nodes out there in my experience to get and keep your skill up to or above when you need it to be. The only exception would be to get fluxes if you need them.

Sell any excess materials you harvest that you don't need to use to skill up on the GTN. That goes both for scavenging and underworld trading.

Don't buy anything except your skill and schematics from your trainers. You're going to be leveling fast it doesn't make much sense to spend money on items that you are going to out-level in a few hours worth of gameplay anyway, use your quest rewards and commendations gear while leveling and you'll be fine.

Don't forget to reverse engineer your crafting results while leveling up to get some mats back to either sell or lower the amount you need to harvest to skill up.

I suggest you only level your crafting skill for schematics you will personally use. If you don't use strength, don't bother with might mods, etc. I also agree with the previous poster, blue and purple gear is at outrageous prices when you consider you will be able to get all new gear and mods every 2 or so levels. The economy is in a state of chaos right now after the slicing nerf. Those that took the skill early (pre-nerf) might have credits to spend, those of us that are just starting to play are poor. I too have ran into issues with having enough money. I won't spend over 500 credits on a single item from the GTN, and most of the time I farm FP's for gear and comm's to buy mods. Luckily, I also have some friends playing who help me with crafted goods, that is a huge help. I can tell you that slicing isn't the way to go, they nerfed it so hard that it is barely able to clear the cost of missions. If you have all of your companions, perhaps you could clear a somewhat decent amount of credits sending them all on missions. Or you could go broke if your companions happen to fail the mission. Point is, use crafting to supplement yourself, try and be as self-sufficient as possible until the economy stabilizes.

Making money in an MMO is fairly simple. Are mats more then the crafted item?

Yes? - sell the mats.

No? - craft the item and sell it.

Someone undercut you with a ton of cheap mats? - Buy them all and double the price.

You got to play the GTN game, baby! Don't be afraid of it.

There's no need to take slicing. As others have said, be careful with your money, no need to buy blues while you're leveling. Skills also become a huge credit sink as you level, no need to buy ones you know you won't use. Also, try some PvP/Space missions (when they're available).

Currently I have 70k credits at 33. Nothing astounding, sure, but I'm constantly sending companions on missions and I'm up to the 100k bag slot. Making money in this game through questing and other means is far from difficult.

Go Underworld Trading or Biochem; these have always made much more than Slicing ever did. Hell, even Treasure Hunting made more...

Slicing just removed the middleman.

Edited by Wesu

Craft items that have the fastest and biggest pay-off vs pay-in ratio.

I spend $500 or a little more for my crew to gather the needed materials. I get about $1000 - $1500 return in profit after I sell the items. After a good hour of doing this you could make at least $10,000.

Also you can stack up items per companion while crafting, I think you can stack 5 per companion.

You can do this while questing, by the time your done you should notice a big different in credits.

Edited by XDrcaul

Since when? I went engineering and jewelcrafting on my first char and had no money problems o.O

You can easily make money with crafting skills, just use your money intelligently and don't blow it on random crap.

Never let your inventory fill up. Make use of the cargo hold, mail items to alts if absolutely needed for space. Constantly sell your trash, this is a big source of money. If you feel like throwing something away to make inventory space, it's time to visit a mailbox/cargo hold.

Edit: On occasion you will find white armor pieces at ridiculously low levels even in higher level areas, specifically security chests. Such as Frilled leather belt or somesuch. Throw these away.

Visit the auction house and sell all useful items there (for instance, vendor blaster cannons on empire, and vendor aim sniper rifles on all characters) at the given price. I'd also vendor any item below level 15.

Sell your old rare and epic materials for loads of cash. You can also sell other materials if you want to, that's up to you though.

If you want to go pure profits, get slicing + any 2 mission skills. Treasure hunting is easiest to raise, and underworld offers the most variety of items, I recommend those two.

Edited by TheRealBowser