Physical Authenticator Code...

DaJoisen

My Security key comes on whenever I press it and says "Batt 00" and then tells me the actual code. what does this mean and how do I fix it?

It means the battery is nearly flat. There's no way as such to *fix* it (they aren't designed to have the battery changed(0)), but you can replace it(1) with a smartphone app that will do essentially the same thing.

Your main choices are:

* On iOS and Android, download the official SWTOR app.

* On any smartphone / tablet OS, download any "TOTP" authenticator app, including Google Authenticator or the one I use on my second account, "OTP Auth" (on iOS, but probably on Android as well).

* On your actual PC, download a TOTP authenticator - the normal one people suggest is "WinAuth".

(0) It makes no sense for them to allow the battery to be changed, since that would involve temporarily removing the power source, and that would stop it working. The physical authenticator is essentially the same technology that is used in "RSA" key fobs that e.g. investment banks use for their traders to log in, and any ability to open the shell of the device (without "killing" it) is a security weakness.

(1) That is, you remove it from your account and add the new app afterwards. There is no direct "replace" option.

It means the battery is nearly flat. There's no way as such to *fix* it (they aren't designed to have the battery changed(0)), but you can replace it(1) with a smartphone app that will do essentially the same thing.

Your main choices are:

* On iOS and Android, download the official SWTOR app.

* On any smartphone / tablet OS, download any "TOTP" authenticator app, including Google Authenticator or the one I use on my second account, "OTP Auth" (on iOS, but probably on Android as well).

* On your actual PC, download a TOTP authenticator - the normal one people suggest is "WinAuth".

(0) It makes no sense for them to allow the battery to be changed, since that would involve temporarily removing the power source, and that would stop it working. The physical authenticator is essentially the same technology that is used in "RSA" key fobs that e.g. investment banks use for their traders to log in, and any ability to open the shell of the device (without "killing" it) is a security weakness.

(1) That is, you remove it from your account and add the new app afterwards. There is no direct "replace" option.

Suggest you do this before your key fob goes dead. It is much easier to change to a smartphone before your key fob goes dead than after.

• 2 years later...