EA boss discusses how they will communicate more. How does this affect swtor

In an article I just read regarding how EA will change the way it releases games in the future (post Anthem failure), he discusses how they are changing marketing to more engage players

".... snip... And it also comes down to changing how we communicate with players. Our entire marketing organization now is moving out of presentation mode and into conversation mode, and changing how we interact with players over time."

After reading the “whole” article, how.... or does this even relate to swtor?

Will communication increase, will more back and forth feed back between us and devs happen and how much of that feed back will be listened too?

Will EA start to market swtor and advertise it so we can get players to come back or try the game?

Does EA now realise you need to invest in the communities and funding to make an on going successful online game?

What do you guys think?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I would Really, Really appreciate *More Communication with the Devs maybe even a good back and forth every once in a while; But... this subject has came up so many times and actually got worse then it was before.

SWTOR has been out for a long time now and I do believe how SWTOR does and will do has been determined long ago, not much changes I'd think.

*IF, E.A. actually does Become more Communicative with their customers I realistically don't believe it would change much on the game/ customer end, E.A. just isn't that kind of company. Chatting with customers, listening and noting Likes, Dislikes, Wants more of and Cant stand ***** is great but I still believe the vast majority of E.A.'s decision making will still be a One Way conversation and those dictated mainly by their bean counters.

Hopefully now with Anthem live SWTOR will get more attention from E.A. (B.W. too) but how much I would think isn't as much as Anybody would want. I don't think the changes here (SWTOR) will come from E.A.'s increased communication as much as it will be more from staff and machines with more SWTOR work time.

After reading the “whole” article, how.... or does this even relate to swtor?

It doesn't, as such, relate to SWTOR's *future*, because it's talking about their handling of new releases.

It is worth comparing to SWTOR's launch, where it's clear that the game wasn't what it should have been in various ways that we should know, but there are a couple of key points that are relevant when compared to the article.

* Not enough end-game content launched with the game.

* OWPvP being touted as a worthwhile element, but clearly victim of a server architecture that couldn't scale correctly, nor a client architecture that could handle displaying what was allegedly happening.

So the game wasn't ready at launch to be what it was touted as being. Some of the faults have been fixed or at least mitigated (there is much more end-game stuff now, for example), while others remain just as problematic. (OWPvP remains a non-starter, for example.)

It was simply a CYA maneuver for investors, despite the fact that EA quarterly earnings beat estimates.

The whole 'we're going to change how we communicate by conversing more with players as opposed to communicating through presentation' prompted me to put on an eye patch, black silk pajamas, and stick a fork in a socket to spike up my hair -- all just to bust out an impromptu dance session of "You Spin Me Round."

BW has issued a litany of excuses as to why Anthem 'failed to meet expectations' -- my favorite of which was 'too much transparency' -- which essentially resulted in raised expectations on the part of the player base. Rubbish.

Anthem was not ready to be released and suffers fundamental structural flaws. At its heart it is a looter/shooter but completely screwed up the 'looter' part of the equation. Still too many cutscreens. Repetitive combat. Lack of diverse environs. Lack of character customization (both on a personal level and the constraints of the javelin system itself). To be sure, some of these issues have been partially addressed, or they have announced the intention to do so.

Bottom line: Don't release incomplete games with no core identity. Communication won't help if the game itself is flawed.

Anyhoo, back to SWTOR. I don't think the corporate spin call will have any impact on SWTOR. There actually has been increased communication from the team, albeit not from Keith. Frankly, though, I care about the message and not the messenger.

The rubber will hit the road over the next few weeks, though, as more details about Onslaught are revealed. I'm a glass half full kind of guy, but am also fortunate that I can take a break this summer from here since ESO is coming out with a new expansion in 12 days.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I don't really care much for "communication" and would rather them do stuff. FIX BUGS and REPAIR GLITCHES and IMPROVE FEATURES. Maybe add new stuff but fixing the current game should be the number one priority.

I actually like what they are doing with the Preview window and the Guild Heraldry. It's a good direction and they should keep improving the stuff we have. Polish, polish, polish and then polish some more. Let's get this game updated and optimized up the wazoo.

If they really want to "communicate" they should do it in-game.

I think the same promise/commitment has been made a million times in the past as well. I think you'd be a fool to believe them this time.

Anytime I see written promises of better communication.....I just stop reading and move on to the next big truthful filled internet sideshow.

Because, everything on the net is the truth. /wink.