Opened 40 or so command crates in 5.10 before servers went back down...

Wimbleton

And they were all identical to previous crates. They yielded 244-248 gear, 1 CMT, some legacy CXP thingies, 3-4 command boosts - just like before.

Does this mean that old packs are going to give old rewards? In 5.1 they were grandfathered and old packs gave new rewards.... or whenever CMTs started coming from packs.

I only had a chance to open 40 so RNG could definitely be the reason, but I never saw confirmation one way or the other on hoarded Command Crates.

Did you save crates earned prior, or use CXP drops to rapidly acquire them?

I have a full tab of ops CXP boosts that I have been saving for this occasion and planned on using them all rapidly to get a couple dozen crates and get a leg up on gearing.

I was worried they might mess around with the timing of the crates and the drops so I didn't want to get them prior to 5.10 and then open them after launch.

I will be cautious and only use a few at a time.

if you used previous crates saved before 5.10 they will have the old stuff in them. It's only crates after the patch that has the new stuff. :rolleyes:

Ya, thats what ive been telling guildies. but they kept wanting to hoard multiple tabs of old command crates.

And people thought i was stupid for not saving old crates...

where got this ever pointed out by the devs?

how would you even come to this conclusion.

since drops are rolled on opening, not on receiving, its more likely they gonna contain new stuff.

otherwise you couldnt get tank gear out of crates you received in dps spec, etc.

40 crates isnt a huge sample size anyway. probably OP just got unlucky.

Edited by mrphstar

if you used previous crates saved before 5.10 they will have the old stuff in them. It's only crates after the patch that has the new stuff. :rolleyes:

There was no definitive answer on this one way or the other. When 5.6 was introduced in November 2017 and had some pretty substantial changes, the new drop system did in fact apply to old crates we hoarded.

Better to err on the side of getting higher rewards since for many of us there was no downside to saving them.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

And they were all identical to previous crates. They yielded 244-248 gear, 1 CMT, some legacy CXP thingies, 3-4 command boosts - just like before.

Does this mean that old packs are going to give old rewards? In 5.1 they were grandfathered and old packs gave new rewards.... or whenever CMTs started coming from packs.

I only had a chance to open 40 so RNG could definitely be the reason, but I never saw confirmation one way or the other on hoarded Command Crates.

Think of it this way.

Because of the rollback you'll get to roll the RNG again.

Gacha

Ya, thats what ive been telling guildies. but they kept wanting to hoard multiple tabs of old command crates.

And people thought i was stupid for not saving old crates...

Honestly, it just seems smarter to hoard them for the faint chance they might have dropped the new stuff.

And if it turns out they didn't you can still open them and get the same stuff.

You would have lost nothing by waiting.

Edited by Khevar

since drops are rolled on opening, not on receiving, its more likely they gonna contain new stuff.

otherwise you couldnt get tank gear out of crates you received in dps spec, etc.

Pretty sure the devs stated this for a prior patch. They do know which packs you got pre-patch and which you got post-patch. Only the post-patch packs will yield new items.

its been confirmed, forgot where I read it.. but the items are generated as soon as you get them in your inventory, and not when you open them. ;)

I've only seen this comment from players. Most of those players are the ones wanting to feel better about not having saved up command crates. Be honest now....

Someone please show me any dev talk concerning this issue.

its been confirmed, forgot where I read it.. but the items are generated as soon as you get them in your inventory, and not when you open them. ;)

This was something they said prior to the 5.1 patch, but it wasn't the case at the 5.1 patch. Later they broached this topic again, but then labeled the new boxes tier 4, again avoiding the issue.

Did you save crates earned prior, or use CXP drops to rapidly acquire them?

I have a full tab of ops CXP boosts that I have been saving for this occasion and planned on using them all rapidly to get a couple dozen crates and get a leg up on gearing.

I was worried they might mess around with the timing of the crates and the drops so I didn't want to get them prior to 5.10 and then open them after launch.

I will be cautious and only use a few at a time.

I have 4.5 tabs of command crates. I have 4 tabs of cxp clickies.

The only thing I was able to do in the time allotted to me before the servers went back down was grab 4 groups of 10 crates and open them.

The opening of those 40 crates also leveled me twice more, so I opened an additional 2 crates that were created after the patch.

As noted by others, 42 crates is a very small sample size.

I'm not clicking my cxp clickies until double cxp on the 20th, so I'll have to report back those findings at that time but I'm fairly certain any boxes gained from clicking those will be "new" boxes, if that matters.

I need someone to quote me a dev, talking about 5.10, saying the old packs won't grant new items before I'll believe it.

No pouty anecdotal evidence necessary.

I will o/c report back in this thread once I've opened all my packs after servers have been opened again.

I guess the contents of hoarded pre-5.10 crates are generated upon creation, not upon opening.

I was under the impression that you could be in a dps spec when obtaining the crate, and then switch to a heal spec before opening it and get heal-appropriate gear drops.

Is this not the case?

200% on opening. I always heal on sorc but at the end of the night would switch to dps to open once I had full healer set.

Makes sense.

I suppose the contents could be saved for BOTH specs when you receive the crate, but that seems like a lot of unnecessary data storage in the server -- particularly for those people that have multiple tabs of unopened crates.

It seems so much more logical, with less server resources, to roll for crate contents on opening.

Of course, it's not out of the question that there could be two versions of the Tier 3 crates, and two versions of the Tier 4 crates, each with their own loot tables. There are a handful of players that have hundreds of crates saved, I'm quite interested to hear their feedback when they get around to opening them.

I find it hard to believe you wouldn't have won at least one piece of 252 gear or gotten a crystal in 40 crates.

Do you think the new crates are actually different even though they have the same name?

Can you check out a new 5.10 crate and see if there are any differences in name, color, contents, etc.? I'm still at twerk argh

I was under the impression that you could be in a dps spec when obtaining the crate, and then switch to a heal spec before opening it and get heal-appropriate gear drops.

Is this not the case?

Oh, you're totally right. I've done the same thing. It's how I got most of my healer set. I forgot - it's been a while

Edited by Rion_Starkiller