Black-on-black dye module 50% off today (10/11/2018) on the cartel market

xordevoreaux

Quick take:

I've never been a fan of dye modules consumed on use which subsequently do not result in an addition to my collections.

Details:

My cartel coins are accumulating. I can afford the black-on-black dye module with today's 50% off sale.

I will never buy it.

It's all pixels in the end, I know this, but as a smart shopper, I'll save my coins for more durable goods.

When you apply this dye module to your gear, that's it. You have spent your cartel coins for one piece of gear for one character, and that's it for your entire expenditure.

After a collection unlock on any other type of item:

A light saber can't be used by smugglers, but I can use it on several classes.

A cannon can only be used by one class, but I can use that cannon on every toon I make of that class.

An outfit can be used by any character unless gender-specific.

And so on.

In other words, I know I'll get more use out of the above items for any given expenditure, be that expenditure CC or credits.

Buy the module if you want, totally your choice, and many will of course, but for me, a one-shot consumption that can never be used again by any other character does not justify the expenditure, and I don't care if they lopped the price down to 10cc.

My only one-shot expenditure is for the occasional server transfer so I can update my legacy, where doing so has a much longer-lasting and broader impact than stuffing a dye module on one piece of armor for one character.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Generally speaking... always better to buy a CM item from another player in game for credits. There are always plenty of players selling said items and it saves your CCs for other things that simply cannot be traded between players (like Collections unlocks, particularly during a half price sale). And there never seems to be a shortage of black/black dyes on the GTN, at least on the NA servers.

I do think the black/black dye is over-rated (same with white/white) simply because of the way textures are implemented in many of the armor sets. Black dyes seem to be this way in most MMOs though. I have 10-12 of them in storage... purchase at bargain prices over the years off the GTN... and I think I have only ever used one of them. I'll probably sell some of them off at some point... but I tend to hold back on rare dye sales as there may be a future armor set that looks particularly good with a monochrome dye applied and since they are consumables... I may need multiples at some point. I have one alt with 4 full tabs of cargo storage filled with rare dyes from over the years ... just for the day when I might want to use them. Dyes are one thing I do in fact pack-rat in my account... because they are consumables. I used to pack-rat CM armor sets before Collections came about... but that is no longer needed.

But for the players who love black/black dyes... a sale IS always nice... as it will also drive down prices in the short term in the GTN... so players have multiple ways to get them at discounted prices.

Edited by Andryah

I agree on the overrated aspect--including the black/white and any combination thereof. Depending on the armor set--Dark Gray and Pale Gray actually come extremely close to what Black and White look like respectively, and in most cases, is not enough of a deal-breaker to go from paying 25k for the Gray ones to well over 10mil for the "pure" black/whites.

Even if there is a glut of these on the GTN due to the sale, they're still not really worth even 5mil.

The other thing about white/black--a lot of armors will actually be very pleasing with any of the black/****, ****/black, white/****, ****/white dyes that go for less than 100k. I usually spend about 20 minutes on the GTN on a new toon with new armor checking every dye ascending from lowest price, and I'd say 9/10 times I can find a perfect dye under 100k, including dyes with white or black in them.

I think the new "named" dyes are also overrated, and 100% marketing. Those dyes have virtually no difference between the "non-named" dyes that are just those colors. The thumbnail may look starkly different, but when you actually preview them on most armor sets there is no difference to justify paying millions for when you can get virtually the same thing for mere fractions of that.

Quick take:

I've never been a fan of dye modules consumed on use which subsequently do not result in an addition to my collections.

Details:

My cartel coins are accumulating. I can afford the black-on-black dye module with today's 50% off sale.

I will never buy it.

It's all pixels in the end, I know this, but as a smart shopper, I'll save my coins for more durable goods.

When you apply this dye module to your gear, that's it. You have spent your cartel coins for one piece of gear for one character, and that's it for your entire expenditure.

After a collection unlock on any other type of item:

A light saber can't be used by smugglers, but I can use it on several classes.

A cannon can only be used by one class, but I can use that cannon on every toon I make of that class.

An outfit can be used by any character unless gender-specific.

And so on.

In other words, I know I'll get more use out of the above items for any given expenditure, be that expenditure CC or credits.

Buy the module if you want, totally your choice, and many will of course, but for me, a one-shot consumption that can never be used again by any other character does not justify the expenditure, and I don't care if they lopped the price down to 10cc.

My only one-shot expenditure is for the occasional server transfer so I can update my legacy, where doing so has a much longer-lasting and broader impact than stuffing a dye module on one piece of armor for one character.

Thank you for the reminder. I woulda missed it had you not posted it =]. Grabbed me one. Thanks again!

REMEMBER: These dyes won't hit the market until Saturday so prices will stay high for another two days. If you have unbound black/black dyes, get them on the market immediately before the prices go south. (Do not read the statement below)

If you're in the market to purchase black/black dyes from the GTN, wait until Saturday or further out when the sellers post them and undercut each other! (Do not read the statement above)

Although the population isn't what it's been in the past, there may be some black/black dyes as low as 10 million soon. :cool:

I will be doing all of it on all servers! :D

Edited by Zerileth

I think the new "named" dyes are also overrated, and 100% marketing. Those dyes have virtually no difference between the "non-named" dyes that are just those colors. The thumbnail may look starkly different, but when you actually preview them on most armor sets there is no difference to justify paying millions for when you can get virtually the same thing for mere fractions of that.

I agree with you on this.

However, they have been a great profit center in my GTN selling cycles. I bought up a truck ton of them all when they first released and were being deeply discounted, held them for a few months, and then sold them off at 500-1000% profit. Apparently... there are plenty of players who buy into the marketing hype. :) I personally have never used one yet.. and probably will not. They are attractive, but not notably more so then other dyes available in game... especially considering a lot of armors key off of mostly one texture or the other.

Edited by Andryah

I agree on the overrated aspect--including the black/white and any combination thereof. Depending on the armor set--Dark Gray and Pale Gray actually come extremely close to what Black and White look like respectively, and in most cases, is not enough of a deal-breaker to go from paying 25k for the Gray ones to well over 10mil for the "pure" black/whites.

Even if there is a glut of these on the GTN due to the sale, they're still not really worth even 5mil.

The other thing about white/black--a lot of armors will actually be very pleasing with any of the black/****, ****/black, white/****, ****/white dyes that go for less than 100k. I usually spend about 20 minutes on the GTN on a new toon with new armor checking every dye ascending from lowest price, and I'd say 9/10 times I can find a perfect dye under 100k, including dyes with white or black in them.

Its not all hype.

The Ceremonial ( I think its called) dyes metal parts gold, none of the yellow dyes does this.

So please point out the available dye that can do the same color as this named one.

Its not all hype.

The Ceremonial ( I think its called) dyes metal parts gold, none of the yellow dyes does this.

So please point out the available dye that can do the same color as this named one.

Most of the dyes with brown as one color component dye metal (and fabric) as gold just fine. And the shade of brown will shift the gold-tone some as well.. so there are plenty of options. I've been using them for years to do this... way before the arrival of the newer named dyes. Some of the orange dye components do a pretty good job as well. Most dyes with yellow in them will not.

The Ceremonial dye is a very good dye... it's just that it's not worth the cost when there are numerous other dyes in game that can do essentially the same thing.

Edited by Andryah

Most of the dyes with brown as one color component dye metal (and fabric) as gold just fine. And the shade of brown will shift the gold-tone some as well.. so there are plenty of options. I've been using them for years to do this... way before the arrival of the newer named dyes. Some of the orange dye components do a pretty good job as well. Most dyes with yellow in them will not.

The Ceremonial dye is a very good dye... it's just that it's not worth the cost when there are numerous other dyes in game that can do essentially the same thing.

I disagree

I have used the same methods as you to get "gold" but the Ceremonial does it MUCH better.

But no, its still not worth its cost, on that we agree.

Edited by QuinlanSaathis

Thanks for letting us know on the sale. Ill have to see if I have fitting armor for it. I agree with some of your points, though personally I don't really spend on weapons, usually I can find what I like without having to go for cartel and I don't like heavy stylized lightsaber colors. I mostly go for the market for dyes but some like this one go for very high price there. Theres also people that I assume invest in cartel in these dyes to resell and get a lot of credits in total to buy everything else they want. But for blacks, I usually find the Black Grey dye work pretty well for the most part as the cheaper alternative.

I disagree

I have used the same methods as you to get "gold" but the Ceremonial does it MUCH better.

But no, its still not worth its cost, on that we agree.

Ultimately it comes down to the armor set (in my eyes). I could use ***/*** dye in this set, and on a completely different set the dye might look like *****/** dye. This is why I spend such a long time as I mentioned on the GTN going from bottom up with prices--it depends on the armor more than the dye. On certain armors a Dark Gray/Pale Gray might look like the spitting image of Black/White, but on another armor set it might look like Dirty Dishwater/Dusty.

I have received a few of the "named" dyes in packs but because I can get virtually the same value (look) from lower cost dyes, I GTN those suckers as soon as they unbind

Edited by aerockyul