Grass growing out of the ground...

Cloneborg

... as my character approaches it, and slowly "sinks" into the ground on moving away from it. The height of the "growth" is determined by the distance to the character and by the "grass render distance" in the preference settings. This is happening on every planet with lots of grass that I have been and on two different computers so it can't be a planet specific or video card specific, but it is a game graphics issue.

It seems to me that it would be much easier for the processors to display the hole patch of grass when it is determined that it is at the right distance from the character, rather than doing that plus how far out of the ground it should show up!

Many games do this, it's a standard rendering technique to conserve resources.

To be sure, but the "grows out of the ground" thing (rather than "appears already at full height") doesn't belong. In GW2's The Grove (Sylvari home city), the growing effect adds a sort of faerie element to the place, but in SWTOR, especially somewhere like Taris, it's really strange.

Many games do this, it's a standard rendering technique to conserve resources.

This "standard rendering technique" is so irritating on the planets with a lot of tall grass and flowers, that I have decided to reduce the grass quality to ZERO while having everything else on MAX.

Bioware, I think that in the future you shouldn't waste any developer's time and efforts on creating any small plants and then having someone plant tens upon tens of thousands of them, unless you change the way they get rendered in a more natural way.

• 3 years later...