I thought the Light/Dark commit selection ensured we got the correct Alignment points

Liquor

I thought the Light/Dark commit selection ensured we got the correct Alignment points for Diplomacy.

I'm getting hella lightside points though I have dark side commit selected and all the missions in Diplomacy are Dark Side.

15k lightside points and 71k darkside points and Ive only been taking dark options in missions and running dark side diplomacy missions....

why am I gaining a "last jedi" amount of light side points?

Edited by Liquor

Same happened to me yesterday actually. The toon in question is Dark V, the DS button is selected and the missions are all marked DS but when I was accepting the Diplomacy mission rewards I noticed the "uncertain" and "depraved" signs floating up over and over again. She was getting LS points for a few missions, bumping to Dark IV and then getting DS points and going back to Dark V.

I didn't report it because it's my only character with Diplomacy and I wasn't sure if that was how it was supposed to work, but sounds like a bug now.

You know, I've heard other people complain of something like this a while back, and if I recall correctly, it was also an issue with crew skills not awarding the correct points. I avoided crew skills entirely for a while because I didn't want to unintentionally fudge my alignment.

You need to look at the individual missions. Some yield light side points and some yield dark side points. Every mission does yield some of the points for your chosen lightside/darkside focus but some also reward points from the opposite "alignment". It has been that way ever since the instituted the LS/DS focus.

You need to look at the individual missions. Some yield light side points and some yield dark side points. Every mission does yield some of the points for your chosen lightside/darkside focus but some also reward points from the opposite "alignment". It has been that way ever since the instituted the LS/DS focus.

they used to display light and dark. but since the alignment commit buttons were added to the game, all the missions in diplomacy will display whatever you have selected. lgihtside points will still display darkside. if it were as simple as that, then i would not be selecting lightside missions. LoL

and im dark 4 now but 20k light and 90k dark LoL

they used to display light and dark. but since the alignment commit buttons were added to the game, all the missions in diplomacy will display whatever you have selected. lgihtside points will still display darkside. if it were as simple as that, then i would not be selecting lightside missions. LoL

and im dark 4 now but 20k light and 90k dark LoL

Do you have tooltips or whatever its called disabled. When I hover over the lightside icon with the cursor on the Diplomacy mission "A Wanderer's Gift" it tells me it awards 102 lightside and 84 darkside points in a little pop-up box.

Do you have tooltips or whatever its called disabled. When I hover over the lightside icon with the cursor on the Diplomacy mission "A Wanderer's Gift" it tells me it awards 102 lightside and 84 darkside points in a little pop-up box.

Hovering over the missions I do see what you mean. In the Level 10 DS Diplomacy missions, there were four that gave only DS points but four more that gave both LS and DS points. That would explain why my toon's alignment kept dancing all over the place.

But wow, that's well hidden. I feel like that's something that should be a little more prominent. All the missions are just marked with DS icons. I think many people would just look at the icon, the influence and rewards gained and send their companion out without knowing to mouse over each and every mission. I know it never crossed my mind before.

Hovering over the missions I do see what you mean. In the Level 10 DS Diplomacy missions, there were four that gave only DS points but four more that gave both LS and DS points. That would explain why my toon's alignment kept dancing all over the place.

But wow, that's well hidden. I feel like that's something that should be a little more prominent. All the missions are just marked with DS icons. I think many people would just look at the icon, the influence and rewards gained and send their companion out without knowing to mouse over each and every mission. I know it never crossed my mind before.

I learned it restoring multiple characters to Light V following the Section X alignment reset bug.

In the Level 10 DS Diplomacy missions, there were four that gave only DS points but four more that gave both LS and DS points.

Not quite. There are four that give dark and toggle, and four that give light and toggle. If the toggle is dark, that's four that give dark and dark, and four that give dark and light. The distinction between "dark only" and "dark and dark" is important, because the non-toggle fixed-colour points are doubled by a critical success, but the toggle-coloured points are not.

There is nothing to fix. It does exactly what it is suppose to do!

I would suggest that there's one thing to fix, or at least to improve: the UI is unclear.

The alignment symbols do not reflect the behaviour of the missions. To be sure, you can use the tooltip until you memorise which are the dark+toggle missions and which are the light+toggle ones, but it's prone to errors. Having separate alignment symbols for the fixed points and the toggle points would resolve the difficulty instantly. Alternatively, having three or four symbols to choose from, one "all dark" for darkfixed+darktoggle, one "all light" for lightfixed+lighttoggle, and one or two split ones (like the Alliance symbol is a Pub|Imp split) for the mixed cases could work.

Or just restore Diplomacy missions to showing the alignment symbol of the fixed-colour points. That would make them show the most important part of the result. (Showing only the toggle colour contains less than no information.)

Not quite. There are four that give dark and toggle, and four that give light and toggle. If the toggle is dark, that's four that give dark and dark, and four that give dark and light. The distinction between "dark only" and "dark and dark" is important, because the non-toggle fixed-colour points are doubled by a critical success, but the toggle-coloured points are not.

Not the point. The point was whether some of the missions gave LS points despite being DS missions and the answer was yes. Some of the missions on DS give DS/LS points and others only give DS. Nothing was said that was incorrect.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Not the point. The point was whether some of the missions gave LS points despite being DS missions and the answer was yes. Some of the missions on DS give DS/LS points and others only give DS. Nothing was said that was incorrect.

True, but someone who isn't aware of the distinction will be puzzled by the amount given by critical successes (and, perhaps, distressed by getting more "wrong" points than "right" points on a critical success in a mixed mission).

And of course the alignment indicator icon is *wrong* on "mixed" missions. It shows "dark", say, but it's really "light with dark on top". They should be decorated with either:

* The old-style alignment (i.e. the alignment that was given before 5.0 added the toggle buttons).

* The old-style and new-style as two icons

* The old-style and new-style as a "fused" icon (like the Alliance symbol is the Imp and Pub symbols fused together), either light/light, dark/dark, or dark/light (or maybe even light/dark)

None of them are entirely satisfactory, but all three are better (?less bad?) than the current method.

The last option is to remove the per-mission fixed points altogether, because in a way, their reason for existing is no longer relevant.

Makes me glad I have only one toon leveled in Diplomacy. The other crew skills and missions are much less of a headache.

TBH if it's complicated to the point where players have to mouse over each mission instead of just looking at the alignment icon and the mission rewards to figure out what is going to happen, they need to simplify it so it's in line with the other crew skill missions. if you're DS aligned it should give you DS points; if you're LS aligned it should give you LS points, without any other surprises.