How's pvp balance atm?

Ralph_Panda

Wondering how is the pvp in swtor atm, rememer it was one of the few games with a more balanced pvp where each class could kill others and even play casters.

Coming from WoW where casters atm are getting deleted by melee mongos since there's no counterplay there anymore so as you can realize my standards are low xD

Coming from WoW where casters atm are getting deleted by melee mongos since there's no counterplay there anymore so as you can realize my standards are low xD

Almost a guarantee you play a mage and are one of those terribly bad ones that somehow loses 1v1s to rets and warriors. Unless you are a warlock your complaints are invalid and even your complaints are invalid because warlocks in 5.4 took a giant **** all over melee yet you complain about no counterplay.

Edited by Stncold

Every class/spec works fine in 8v8. In 4v4 there are definitely some classes that are much better than others, particularly in solo ranked.

How about random 1v1s, are classes able to deal with others if they are good? Or are there some classes that simply die to others with no hope of winning?

Almost a guarantee you play a mage and are one of those terribly bad ones that somehow loses 1v1s to rets and warriors. Unless you are a warlock your complaints are invalid and even your complaints are invalid because warlocks in 5.4 took a giant **** all over melee yet you complain about no counterplay.

Someone hasnt played wow for a long time xD

That's the thing, i havent :p

Last time i played swtor pvp was during the revan exp i think. It was pretty good, i remember playing most classes and all were pretty viable in casual pvp(There were a few better ones but nowhere near to the level of wow)

Remember snipers and mercs being really deadly in arena but good luck getting a cast off since everyone was on you xD(in comparison to current wow where the same thing happens to casters but even if they get a cast off they tickle and are just there for the cc while melee are for damage)

Edited by Ralph_Panda

I think the balance is good atm.

Most OP class for 1vs1 is operative (had their own separate bracket from all others in tournament).

Mercs are fine, so are snipers. The biggest loser atm is probably pt dps. That is, if you ming dying. It's a blast to play it, as always. As tanks they are great.

Ppl cry about juggs, but I think it's mostly because they are used to easy wins and now they have to work for it. As tanks they are great.

Bioware has dealth with the problem that cast classes had, they now have mobility, dcds and moments of instacast and/or uninterruptibility.

Mechanics wise the game is in a great place right now imo.

Classes are pretty much balanced but there are exceptions of course. The main exception are Operatives/Scroundrels, Mercenary/Commando and maybe Snipers/Gunslingers. The first 2 have good offheals, utilities and abilities.

Basically the classes with offheals have an advantage, but for example Sorcs/Sages have light armor and are quite squishy so it really comes down to knowing how to play the class and how to set utilities. Operatives have a great number of utilities, which are specific for certain types of engagements.

Lastly, it all comes down to skill, even an Operative needs to be played well in order to win a duel.

From best to worst DPS in solo ranked:

Merc (Arsenal)

Mara (Fury, but Carnage is not that bad)

Sniper (Both Eng. and MM are viable if you are good on sniper)

Operative (Con)

Sin (Mostly decep. Sin is actually really weak atm, and should perhaps be placed below sorc.)

Sorc (Madness - lightning is weak)

Jugg (Vengeance)

PT

Juggs and PTs are weak in ranked due to their lack of anti-focus skill, and a good sorc can survive longer than a jugg due to anti-focus skills. That is not to say sorc is in a good place in ranked, but they are better than juggs -- except when the queue is overrun with mercs (e-net is the bane of Sorcs and Sins).

In regs you are more like to die due to other circumstances like poor team balance.

Edited by Lundorff

How about random 1v1s, are classes able to deal with others if they are good? Or are there some classes that simply die to others with no hope of winning?

The game has a rock paper scissor principle.

Example:

Deception Sin kills Sorc Heal

Merc/Sniper kills Dec Sin

Dot Classes kills Merc DPS & Sniper Kills Sniper

Dot Classes Damage gets healed by Sorc Heal

The cycle continues....

From best to worst DPS in solo ranked:

Merc (Arsenal)

Mara (Fury, but Carnage is not that bad)

Sniper (Both Eng. and MM are viable if you are good on sniper)

Operative (Con)

Sin (Mostly decep. Sin is actually really weak atm, and should perhaps be placed below sorc.)

Sorc (Madness - lightning is weak)

Jugg (Vengeance)

PT

Where are the other specs? :p

Also, some of those specs that are bad can shine on the top depending on what composition they end up with. 2 sorcerer dps are a nightmare to deal with if they know how to kite. :)

Juggs and PTs are weak in ranked due to their lack of anti-focus skill, and a good sorc can survive longer than a jugg due to anti-focus skills. That is not to say sorc is in a good place in ranked, but they are better than juggs -- except when the queue is overrun with mercs (e-net is the bane of Sorcs and Sins).

If you know how other classes work, you can go over the issues, including the net stuff.

In regs you are more like to die due to other circumstances like poor team balance.

The balance system is crap and everyone knows it. 95% of the times it ends up being one team plays for objective and the other doesn't and the one that plays properly still is stomping the other pretty hard in kills. Then there's the issues regarding the leavers(one player or a full premade). There's nothing to fix that issue.

The PvP in regs should just be balanced in this way.

Nerf heals = ( A - B ) x 0.10

Increased damage taken by tanks = ( Y - Z ) x 0.10

A = Nº healers on Team A

B = Nº healers on Team B

Y = Nº tanks on Team Y

Z = Nº tanks on Team Z

Since majority of players are majority as DPS, doing a nerf on them is a bit dumb.

So the 'example' would function like this:

If a Team A had 3 healers and Team B had 1 healer, Team A would receive less 20% heals from their healers.

Of course, vice versa also works. If Team B had 3 healers and Team A had 0 healers, Team B would have a debuff of -30% heals.

The debate here is that, should the debuff affect the abilites of healers only or should it also affect all players(as in heals that they receive and/or that they can do)?

I'm inclined to say to affect healers' abilitis only since its unfair towards anyone that plays Sorcerer DPS, Juggs, Powertechs since they'd be, unfortunely, affected by this debuff, which is unfair right away.

Same way works with tanks (somewhat).

If there's 2 tanks in Team Y and 0 tanks on Team Z, tanks in Team Y take 20% increased damage.

On the guard, we could say they take increased guard damage from the guarded target?

Regardless, this increase damage debuff should only affect tanks (Imagine Sorcerers taking increase damage on top of the crap armor they have :D We want to avoid that, of course.) This also becomes a sort of nerf towards skanks, or at least it could be in regs.

Of course, this should update during the games, in case of players that play these roles leave the game because of being in a crap team or they played the same map for 100000000th time. Team A with 3 healers vs Team B with 0 healers. That would be -30%.

If one of the healers leaves from Team A, that makes it -20%. And later, let's say that Team B gained 3 healers, and Team A kept their 2 healers, it would make the debuff of -10% heals for the Team B.

The % I am proposing is a random value, they could be different ones or tweaked around, of course. I've made this proposition a lot around but, as usual, not that popular because its over complicated.

And a major problem is regarding the teams with tanks but no heals vs the teams with heals but no tanks. I'd say it could work like the ones above but perhaps at a bigger %.

Edited by memerobot

Pretty sure wow stopped being a good mmo after Vanilla and BC so kinda a mute point.