Keith! We need a option inside game settings for not show Legacy name to guild.

Wagerbane

All of this is interesting when you remember that people can make duplicate legacy names.

On one of the servers I have the legacy name of "Darev" on both of my accounts.

I thought it would make things easier for the guild I joined.

Made things more difficult for me though, keeping track of which toon is on which account from the "G" menu is much more difficult now.

Spreadsheets are your friend.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when someone is caught red-handed immediately in the act of emptying a guild bank, calling another player racist or perjorative names, involving the guild in a bannable exploit, or any host of egregious behaviors, a guild following your suggestion would simply have to sit back and let it happen until the entire guild leadership can log on to debate it.

No. Simply... no.

There's a reason why a town has a sheriff, and there's a reason why he doesn't have to call in the major, deputy major, the city council, and the local Kiwanis club president to sit down and debate whether he needs to brandish his weapon and fire it in attempting to stop a violent crime.

No one's forced to hang around in a guild with an inept or abusive guild leader, and if you're concerned about an abuse of absolute authority by guild leaders, there are plenty of outstanding and respectable guild leaders in this game and others whose collective behavior could easily demonstrate that your opinion smacks of a deep-seated paranoia.

All of this.

In my guild, we would give a guild member a warning if an infraction wasn't serious (based on a "three strikes and you're out" policy), but if the misconduct was something severe, like any of the examples given above, there would be no warnings - the offender would be summarily removed from the guild without question or discussion (myself or an officer would at least whisper them why they are being kicked, but that's considered a professional courtesy, not a requirement). The underlying point is that if the misconduct is egregious as Xordevoreaux was illustrating, you can't afford to have a staff meeting to talk about it - you have to act swiftly to put out a fire before the whole house burns down, otherwise it can do irreparable damage to the guild.

A guild leader's primary responsibility is to facilitate a FUN and SAFE environment from which guild members can enjoy the game with each other. That is the guild leader mission statement. The moment a member disrupts that, you need to put on the tin star and police it. It's really not much different than the goal behind Bioware's Terms of Service, which is to create a fun and safe gaming atmosphere for its players. The only difference is that as a business, they need to go through more formality before they can action an account.

It sounds like you may have had a bad experience in a guild, Celise, which is unfortunate. But I can assure you that for every one despotic guild leader out there, there are ten hardworking, mature, and competent guild leaders you can choose from instead. To bring this back on topic, again, eliminating an important tool for guild management isn't going to help anyone except for the player (guild member) who's misbehaving.

All of this is interesting when you remember that people can make duplicate legacy names.

Duplicate Legacy names doesn't impede the ability to manage guild members by their Legacy name.

Edited by Mournblood

On one of the servers I have the legacy name of "Darev" on both of my accounts.

I thought it would make things easier for the guild I joined.

Made things more difficult for me though, keeping track of which toon is on which account from the "G" menu is much more difficult now.

Spreadsheets are your friend.

Believe me, that is absolutely the truth!

Mine is a "living document" that changes every few months as I get new ideas.

Edited by Darevsool

All of this.

In my guild, we would give a guild member a warning if an infraction wasn't serious (based on a "three strikes and you're out" policy), but if the misconduct was something severe, like any of the examples given above, there would be no warnings - the offender would be summarily removed from the guild without question or discussion (myself or an officer would at least whisper them why they are being kicked, but that's considered a professional courtesy, not a requirement). The underlying point is that if the misconduct is egregious as Xordevoreaux was illustrating, you can't afford to have a staff meeting to talk about it - you have to act swiftly to put out a fire before the whole house burns down, otherwise it can do irreparable damage to the guild.

A guild leader's primary responsibility is to facilitate a FUN and SAFE environment from which guild members can enjoy the game with each other. That is the guild leader mission statement. The moment a member disrupts that, you need to put on the tin star and police it. It's really not much different than the goal behind Bioware's Terms of Service, which is to create a fun and safe gaming atmosphere for its players. The only difference is that as a business, they need to go through more formality before they can action an account.

It sounds like you may have had a bad experience in a guild, Celise, which is unfortunate. But I can assure you that for every one despotic guild leader out there, there are ten hardworking, mature, and competent guild leaders you can choose from instead. To bring this back on topic, again, eliminating an important tool for guild management isn't going to help anyone except for the player (guild member) who's misbehaving.

Duplicate Legacy names doesn't impede the ability to manage guild members by their Legacy name.

Hmmm...

I'll have to check that out. I never noticed a "sort" feature that would differentiate the legacies that had duplicate guild names.

Hmmm...

I'll have to check that out. I never noticed a "sort" feature that would differentiate the legacies that had duplicate guild names.

No, I meant from within a guild. If you have two characters in the same guild, each from a different account but with a shared Legacy name, they still show together when you filter on that Legacy name in the guild UI.

that cuts both ways. removing someone by legacy may seem like a good idea but it can be easily abused on the other side of the issue. if those people can't work out what is wrong between themselves in the guild? they shouldn't be in the guild. guild leaders are chosen according to their usefulness, their ability to lead and considerable ability to put up with a wide range of crap and the tolerance to go with and especially their responsibility to everyone around them.

i tend to see ignore features and these kick features as something that isn't needed and the kick feature unless there is little other alternative. but others can see it as a way to use it to attack others with now they have that power. you can't always know what is inside someones mind or what their priorities are so you are likely to find a few rotten apples that fell so far from the tree you don't even see them coming when they start using those powers.

i just wish these kick features came with a vote option to them within the guild regarding the officers and leader than the rest of the guild. not everyone will see the same incident in the same way and others will require a more concrete answer for the kick. it shouldn't be in just one set of hands to do with as they please. if there is a kick feature all the guild leadership needs to be behind it otherwise it isn't really a guild with responsible leadership.

I think this is a problem that sorts itself out, to be honest. If a guild's leadership (not just the guild master) is unreasonable, they tend to lose guild members to the point that they don't have a guild to run. A good guild will thrive, a bad one will implode. It has been the case for as long as guilds have existed in games. Leaders who abuse their powers soon don't have many followers in these situations. Problem solved.

I suppose the concern is that people could use the legacy name to track down your other characters that one would prefer to keep out of the guild. If that's not possible, I agree that it's not an issue, but if it is, I can agree it's a non-issue.

The only way to determine someone's legacy name who is not in a guild roster is if that person is displaying their legacy name on their character publicly in the game. And sometimes, it is hard to even be sure that is a legacy name and not just the second part of a two-part first name. I think this is not really a problem to be worried about, fortunately... and prevention of being "found" is entirely in the hands of each player already.

Keith! You mention inside the roadmap. Member Ban by Legacy –Allows removal of members based on their Legacy. We need a option inside game settings for not show player legacy name to guild. This will bring in more subscribers with POP growth for having that option. Or game don't need guilds.

lol good trollpost.

I think legacy names showing in guild is a good thing. It makes guild management a lot easier.

What are you trying to hide?

Sorry, I have nothing to hide and not in trouble under guild leader. I love the guild and use to be a guild master of some guilds be left abandoned. Discover the legacy name shown under guild names list and does gave all your characters identity sold to the prejudice. There are folks out there are not in a guild not interested social media in the middle of online game. That is what guilds are like face book, tweeter collects members with a lot of chat. Because these folks are not in the guild and does not mean their no good. These people play smart and safe with their companions.

Hmmm...

There is a way to handle the same legacy name. My boyfriend and I share the same legacy name but on the guild roster we have put whether that character belongs to my boyfriend or myself and those settings can be done just for the guild leaders/managers so the whole guild would not see it if you have a guild that you don't want everyone to know whose character belongs to who.

So when someone is caught red-handed immediately in the act of emptying a guild bank, calling another player racist or perjorative names, involving the guild in a bannable exploit, or any host of egregious behaviors, a guild following your suggestion would simply have to sit back and let it happen until the entire guild leadership can log on to debate it.

No. Simply... no.

There's a reason why a town has a sheriff, and there's a reason why he doesn't have to call in the major, deputy major, the city council, and the local Kiwanis club president to sit down and debate whether he needs to brandish his weapon and fire it in attempting to stop a violent crime.

No one's forced to hang around in a guild with an inept or abusive guild leader, and if you're concerned about an abuse of absolute authority by guild leaders, there are plenty of outstanding and respectable guild leaders in this game and others whose collective behavior could easily demonstrate that your opinion smacks of a deep-seated paranoia.

This.