New Prototype PVP Match

Yeldah_

Giradda’s Proving Ground

This is where the almighty Giradda will weed out unworthy slime and select champions to compete in his arena of death! Prove yourself by eliminating your foes and surviving this hazardous environment to claim your reward!

This PVP match type will essentially be an 8V8 death-match with a twist. Giradda’s Proving Ground is where the worlds of PVE and PVP will combine in a glorious spectacle of mayhem and destruction. Your enemy is both the members of the opposing team and the environment itself. The randomly selected hazard stages will weed out those with poor awareness. Positioning will be important as well as aptitude in combat.

There will be two rounds for this match type. Each round will have five stages. Survive all five stages to earn your team points. No-one revives until the round is over. If you die you may take control of a remote camera (like the ones in Rishi stronghold) to watch the remainder of the round.

Stage 1: Thin them out

“No environmental hazards in the first stage. Find your enemies and destroy them! Alternatively, hide in the corner like a coward while your enemies massacre each other!”

Hazard Stage 1: Toxic Gas

“Get to the adrenal dispenser and use one of the serum injectors to protect yourself from the toxic fumes. Disclaimer; Giradda has ensured that only a limited amount of adrenals are available, so don’t be last!”

Hazard Stage 2: The Floor is Lava

“No children’s games here folks! Embrace your inner Kenobi and seize the high ground before your opponents! Claim a portable magnetic grapple gun to reach these elevated positions and escape the lower levels. Once again these grapple guns will be limited in number. Anyone who does not reach these elevated points will be burned for the glory of his eminence!”

Hazard Stage 3: Assassin droids

“Don’t be caught in the open unprotected folks! Advanced HK units have been provided with sniper rifles and deployed to strategic locations around the ring. These machines are deadly and will exterminate all meat-bags in sight with extreme prejudice!

Final Stage: To the death

“It’s sudden death folks! Kill the remaining enemy team members and win the round!” Do it quickly though, Giradda will not allow a tie.

Please Note: The hazard stages described above would not necessarily be in this order (with the exception of the first and last stages which are not environmentally related).

Scoring System:

Giradda will award one point for each person alive at the end of each round. Whichever team has the most points at the end of both rounds will be victorious.

Physical Environment:

This would be in the hands of the development team obviously. I have some idea of what I would want the environment to look like but it would take an essay to describe here.

Feedback from both developer team members and players is encouraged. As a non-game coder, I have no idea how tricky creating a match of this type would be (I’m looking at you Bio-ware). ;) I am reasonably confident that many of the aspects described above have been implemented in the game in some place or another. Thus it is a simple matter of combining already existing in-game elements. If you have any queries as to where these are or how something I have described is meant to work, just ask and I will do my best to elaborate. :)

Edited by Yeldah_
title edit

That is awesome and well thought out and written. It is a fantastic idea and a refreshing look at how pvp could be played in this game.

This is very good and original. I love it.

I for one would play it to death. It has tactics, strategy (both favourites of mine), death matching combat, situational awareness and a level of skill that requires being able to master or semi master each aspect.

Sadly, the broader player base that is still remaining is unlikely to like the format, which is shame because I think it’s fantastic.

1. Death match people (number crunchers) will need to grow a strategic brain. (Always hard to do with limited resources to start with ;))

2. Noob sheep won’t have a clue and never will (they can’t even under stand east and west or inc calls or focusing healers instead of dps or not breaking cc’s or when to use cc’s)

3. Not enough death match combat for ranked/arena combat oriented players (the last thing they’ll want is to have to worry about anything except killing people, ie getting knocked off a platform... was that too soon ;))

4. The majority of pvper players fall into one or all of those 3 categories.

5. Casual pve people will have trouble fighting pvpers in the first and last stage to win because pvp combat is more intense and less predictable combat environment than they are use to, rotations rarely work. Pve is also stupidly easy lvling now and in the story mode, that many don’t know 2/3rds of their class abilities. This is eveident when they come into the current pvp. The lack of skill in pvp is the worst it’s ever been.

The only people who will probably love that format are the real objective, strategic and tactical thinking pvpers who can fight and use more than their brawn to win Pvp.

I love the idea. Great work. I wish you’d come up with it 6 years ago and Bioware had implemted it back when we had thinking and skilled enough pvpers.

Still, if anyone from Bioware is reading the thread, you could always try it :D and you should consider giving this guy a full time job designing pvp WZs.

That is awesome and well thought out and written. It is a fantastic idea and a refreshing look at how pvp could be played in this game.

This is very good and original. I love it.

I for one would play it to death. It has tactics, strategy (both favourites of mine), death matching combat, situational awareness and a level of skill that requires being able to master or semi master each aspect.

I love the idea. Great work. I wish you’d come up with it 6 years ago and Bioware had implemted it back when we had thinking and skilled enough pvpers.

Still, if anyone from Bioware is reading the thread, you could always try it :D and you should consider giving this guy a full time job designing pvp WZs.

Thank you for your feedback Trixxie. I have another one in the works at the moment. However before I put it up I will wait to see if this thread gets any kind of significant response before I fully develop it.

I like the sound of this match also. But I think the biggest problem I see with it is the fact that we'd have to sit and just watch after a single death. I saw you put in the remote cameras to try to give "bystanders" something to do, but I believe most players don't like to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else play. Especially for someone out in the first round, it's like the game mode itself is "acid trolling" them. :(

Maybe respawn everyone at the start of each stage?

I like the sound of this match also. But I think the biggest problem I see with it is the fact that we'd have to sit and just watch after a single death. I saw you put in the remote cameras to try to give "bystanders" something to do, but I believe most players don't like to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else play. Especially for someone out in the first round, it's like the game mode itself is "acid trolling" them. :(

Maybe respawn everyone at the start of each stage?

Thank your for your feedback.