"...the game’s most exciting year yet." [Casey Hudson]

Bristol

Casey Hudson (BioWare General Manager) actually mentioned SWTOR in his Mid-Summer Update which was mostly about Anthem.

Full Blog Post

In the meantime, our Star Wars: The Old Republic team is hard at work on some amazing plans for the coming year, with new features and surprises that I think makes it the game’s most exciting year yet.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hopefully they can expand on that sentence in the next roadmap. But it will probably just be more smoke and mirrors on details for 6.0 leading into some unspecified time next year.

We should have one upcoming story point this Fall unless they really drop the ball. We also know they will be teasing companion returns thinking that is still an exciting point three years later.

"...the coming year"...does that mean 2019?

It does, I'm afraid. They did say they had not forgotten PvE players and that a new story line will be introduced "this fall" -- as in 2018.

My guess is we get a short story line of solo PvE play (a la Iokath length) culminating in a FP introducing 6.0 between now and December. Then at some point in 2019 they roll out 6.0. At this point, we still don't know if 6.0 will be a larger release at once, or released in smaller content patches, but more frequently. Keith discussed his preference for the latter, but didn't say if that internal debate had been put to bed.

Time will tell.

Dasty

Edit: Also agree with FlameYoL, I was stunned (pleasantly) to hear / read the head honcho of BW even mention SWTOR. I even chuckled a bit inside. :rak_04:

Edited by Jdast

Yikes!!! :eek:

Remember they waiting for the Anthem launch and to see how it does, and if EA will shut them down or not. So they are saving development from having to work really hard this year in case they do get shut down.

So they are going to dangle us along until next year when they find out, and then they will actually put in production time to finish the 6.0 update (if they are around still), and we will get new content probably about mid time next year.

Edited by Holocron

"...the coming year"...does that mean 2019?

This is bioware and swtor we are talking about here.

We are already in 2018 so you can bet he's talking 2019. The coming year is 2019 not 2018.

I fear with so much focus and resources on anthem till February of next year, swtor will do little more than hobble along for the rest of 2018. I have no doubt in my mind his mention of the coming year is 2019.

Edited by Quraswren

Remember they waiting for the Anthem launch and to see how it does, and if EA will shut them down or not. So they are saving development from having to work really hard this year in case they do get shut down.

So they are going to dangle us along until next year when they find out, and then they will actually put in production time to finish the 6.0 update (if they are around still), and we will get new content probably about mid time next year.

With the way they are hyping up Anthem I think they know they have the biggest bomb in video game history. There are indie games that will out sell that POS.

With the way they are hyping up Anthem I think they know they have the biggest bomb in video game history. There are indie games that will out sell that POS.

How do you have a firm negative opinion about an unleased game? :confused:

Personally, I'm into FPS games (unless it's Half Life 3), but that doesn't mean I think Anthem will be a POS.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I think if you take every statement ever made by BW and/or EA regarding the immediate future of swtor, and set it next to the results that followed, it should become painfully obvious that that one sentence has no meaning whatsoever.

That is not to say that exciting things cannot or will not happen, just that sentences like these are completely empty.

When they actually announce something, I will start paying attention. When it results in something exciting, I will get excited.

What to expect for 2019? A roadmap detailing how exciting the new things in 2020 are going to be. As the year progresses each road map will have 1 low-res screenshot of some blurry planet in the middle of nowhere. Then in Fall we will get a full fledged 2 1/2 min trailer that cost a billion dollars to produce, with a spring 2020 release date.

What can I say, I'm very optimistic.

Edited by DenariusJay

Well hopefully they can expand on that sentence in the next roadmap. But it will probably just be more smoke and mirrors on details for 6.0 leading into some unspecified time next year.

We should have one upcoming story point this Fall unless they really drop the ball. We also know they will be teasing companion returns thinking that is still an exciting point three years later.

6.0 isn't going to happen. It is the carrot on a string to the donkey, to keep folks subscribed. The "features" we're getting are tests for interface ideas and matchmaking methods for Anthem. We are the proverbial guinea pigs. EA is a studio killer, and Bioware is just the latest victim.

Enjoy the game while it lasts. See the stuff you wanted to. Get that last datacron. Finish Makeb. Its all decent enough. No need to worry or expect about 6 though. If that's what's keeping you here, its going to be a -very- long wait.

It would not matter what they say or do not say... you folks would still get your shorts in a bunch and start wailing about them short changing SWTOR in the conversation. :rolleyes:

You have all been following EA for years on their games... so it should be obvious to you by now that they always focus on their upcoming yet to be released game(s) with announcements like this, and just give other games in their stable a mention.

Yes.. they mentioned SWTOR... but they also mentioned "more Dragon Age and Mass Effect" as well.

In other words.. they spent most of their time here on the upcoming new shiny game in the queue... and gave other popular franchises a mention as well. Not a tragedy by any means.

Edited by Andryah

6.0 isn't going to happen. It is the carrot on a string to the donkey, to keep folks subscribed. The "features" we're getting are tests for interface ideas and matchmaking methods for Anthem. We are the proverbial guinea pigs. EA is a studio killer, and Bioware is just the latest victim.

Enjoy the game while it lasts. See the stuff you wanted to. Get that last datacron. Finish Makeb. Its all decent enough. No need to worry or expect about 6 though. If that's what's keeping you here, its going to be a -very- long wait.

I have been thinking this for awhile. That 6.0 was a carrot to keep us subbed and paying for anthem. i also agree that we maybe beta testing anthem features. It's sad for as much as I am down on the game I still love it. Still enjoy the class stories and there are tons of things I haven't done and probably never will do but I am good with that.

I don't see how EA can have this license and just dump all over it. I don't see one decent Star Wars game being made since EA took over as the exclusive make of Star Wars games.

I have enjoyed my time on this game now more than ever these past 8 months. Since my daughter was born I basically gave the game up playing maybe an hour a month until this last December. I love this time we have together but I fear it maybe coming to an end.

I will say the cartel market items have vastly improved in quality. I have bought 3 of the 14.5k cartel coin from amazon this year. The most I have ever spent on this game in one year outside of my sub. I was thinking about buying another one and than all I ever read on here is doom and gloom and the lack of response from the development team doesn't make me want to spend anymore money.

I have been thinking this for awhile. That 6.0 was a carrot to keep us subbed and paying for anthem. i also agree that we maybe beta testing anthem features. It's sad for as much as I am down on the game I still love it. Still enjoy the class stories and there are tons of things I haven't done and probably never will do but I am good with that.

I don't see how EA can have this license and just dump all over it. I don't see one decent Star Wars game being made since EA took over as the exclusive make of Star Wars games.

I have enjoyed my time on this game now more than ever these past 8 months. Since my daughter was born I basically gave the game up playing maybe an hour a month until this last December. I love this time we have together but I fear it maybe coming to an end.

I will say the cartel market items have vastly improved in quality. I have bought 3 of the 14.5k cartel coin from amazon this year. The most I have ever spent on this game in one year outside of my sub. I was thinking about buying another one and than all I ever read on here is doom and gloom and the lack of response from the development team doesn't make me want to spend anymore money.

We have been beta testing more than just the features going into the game The Dark vs Light even was nothing more than a 4 month beta event that would help them determine how much content a player could burn through during that time frame.

Whoops...Now how often does that happen. Quoted the wrong post .:D

Here is the post I meant to quote by Akeev

Edited by Bakgrind

Here's the kicker too. According to the rumors/leaks, the bulk of 6.0 was already completed prior to the dev staff being gutted for Anthem, but instead of releasing it to us, they have held onto it and have been trickling it out slowly, since they are uncertain about their future as a studio.

Now i'm even more depressed reading that 6.0 is basically done. Geez. Was the rishi stronghold done back at 3.0 and they just released that? Is there no way if Anthem flops will EA more this game to another studio?

No but they have a fully done (huge) Zakuul mansion stronghold that's been done since before manaan, but they shelved it (likely for 6.0)