Please let us /who for pubs and /whisper pubs.

septru

I support this thread. In fact I think pubs and imps ought to be able to guild now too. Time to have cross-faction guilds.

I say, let us have 3 factions, like the story currently suggests.

You could still decide to be only Imp, rep, or alliance.

A third fleet instance could be put above Odessen.

But you can’t access the third faction/fleet until you’ve done the opening quest chain to take you too Odessen and Lana announces you as the commander.

Before that, you are in your respective factions,

You could choose to ally with reps or Imps and still have partial access to their fleet or reject both.

But, back onto the topic, sort of. I like the idea of the same xfaction guild and guild chat, but not total genchat for both factions. I think that should be restricted to pvp, flash points or operations (yes I’m suggesting FP and Ops be xfaction). But those FP/Ops shouldn’t be in the queue system. Only xfaction guilds should be able to form groups to do them because they are specifically xfaction

I do support being able to PM the other faction on your team, while in a pvp match. But not out of it.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

But you can’t access the third faction/fleet until you’ve done the opening quest chain to take you too Odessen and Lana announces you as the commander.

You could choose to ally with reps or Imps and still have partial access to their fleet or reject both.

A very nice idea but I can safely say that the devs would never spend the effort on something of that kind of scale.

But, back onto the topic, sort of. I like the idea of the same xfaction guild and guild chat, but not total genchat for both factions. I think that should be restricted to pvp, flash points or operations (yes I’m suggesting FP and Ops be xfaction). But those FP/Ops shouldn’t be in the queue system. Only xfaction guilds should be able to form groups to do them because they are specifically xfaction.

I do support being able to PM the other faction on your team, while in a pvp match. But not out of it.

I think the idea of X-fac guilds is a bit against the current form of them (though I really wouldn't mind to have 3 or 4 ships of the eternal fleet, connected via shuttles, to function as a flagship. Buying rooms could simply be buying more ships :D), and such guilds will have limited possibilities for guild events (for example, they can't kill battlemasters). I do support X-fac custom channels (people still remember these exist, right?).

I also agree that general, trade, PVP and any worldwide public channels should not be X-fac, maybe with the exception of planets such as Zakuul and Odessen in which it actually makes sense. I disagree with not supporting out-of-instance-PMs. I think all forms of private and hidden communications should be available. For example, if I wish to give someone GSF tips I would usually do it after the match and not during it. I won't be able to do it if he is on the other faction.

I actually like the idea of X-fac PVE GF. Simply add the checkbox "enable cross-faction" so lore lovers can disable it. There is no need to involve these with guilds. Basically, as long as there can't be any X-Fac group in the open world (which makes no sense in so many cases, such as defended faction bases, missions and the occasional and very rare PVP), there is no trouble in having a X-fac group in PVE instances with a singular purpose such as FPS and OPS (though some FPS are very faction oriented or somewhat faction oriented like Mando-raiders, so these would be problematic and will probably have to be excluded). It won't have any effect on those who oppose X-fac.

Generally, if lore lovers can't stand the fact that people who are not lore lovers do things against the lore, it is their problem. Useless restrictions about things people can simply choose to avoid are unnecessary.

It reminds me of an incident I happened to be part of [bounty Hunter story spoilers below[:

I remember this guy who was seriously mad in gen chat about a bounty hunter that he met in the open world and did not attack him. It was when servers still were PVE and PVP oriented and he was yelling that people who choose to play on PVP servers should act lorewise like it and attack the enemies of their nation, and that peaceful behavior from an enemy player (especially from an imperial) is unacceptable. I chose to humor his odd ideas and told him this is probably one of those bounty hunters who chose to save the chancellor and betray the sith and the empire, and thus he gotta be friendly to reps. His response was: "if such a possibility really exists, it must not be used by players who play PVP servers. Like seriously, it makes no sense"

People who prioritize lore over other stuff are allowed to exist. They also make sense when they express dismay on changes that hurt their lore experience such as the X-fac PVP. They don't make sense when they want to enact their lore on the private experience of other players which does not affect them, and they are very welcome to boycot GTN because it is and always was X-fac :p

P.S:

No, I don’t want to see men in my bathroom, unless they are wearing a dress and sit down to pee :D

If your wish comes true, you will not like what you see :p

I suppose in your POV the game was already cross-faction as soon as they allowed Marr and Acina, or Satele and Jaric to sit in the same council :D

Edited by Rafiknoll

A very nice idea but I can safely say that the devs would never spend the effort on something of that kind of scale.

Agreed

I also agree that general, trade, PVP and any worldwide public channels should not be X-fac, maybe with the exception of planets such as Zakuul and Odessen in which it actually makes sense. I disagree with not supporting out-of-instance-PMs. I think all forms of private and hidden communications should be available. For example, if I wish to give someone GSF tips I would usually do it after the match and not during it. I won't be able to do it if he is on the other faction.

Blizzard have player ID private chat channels instead of just faction ones. Ones you can give to friends or guildies and you can even communicate across other Blizzard games.

People who prioritize lore over other stuff are allowed to exist. They also make sense when they express dismay on changes that hurt their lore experience such as the X-fac PVP. They don't make sense when they want to enact their lore on the private experience of other players which does not affect them, and they are very welcome to boycot GTN because it is and always was X-fac :p

Agreed

You just don't get it. The "lore players" don't care that they can ignore it, they will leave because it's an option.

How can I put this?

If lore begins to be removed in any significant way the natural assumption would be if they don't care about it anymore, there will no longer be lore content in the future. (finds a new game)

I know it sounds super easy, "just ignore if you don't like it" but they won't. they will leave. less money. less content. Would it be super great if life was logical and black and white? "why have factions when we are just a bunch of gamers hanging out" but it's not. successful games have used the faction concept for a reason.

[edit add] If you think this is just the dusty opinion of an older gamer stuck in his ways... I want to look at the game you are playing from a profit prospective. This entire 3 year expansion has been faction less story. How's that going for bioware? Seen a new expansion lately? How many servers you got left? How many regions are you supporting? Last I checked, they just about cut australia to the sharks, screwed west coast US players... why? Because east coast server farms are cheaper. I wonder why they decided screwing an entire continent and jerking around with a US region was a good idea. Don't forget, the server region drops? Were a surprise. Satele Shan was assumed to be west coast.... SURPRISE! Devs take home the gold.

Edited by Seterade

You just don't get it. The "lore players" don't care that they can ignore it, they will leave because it's an option.

This level of "lore fanatism" probably left the game already because it is an option to get cross-faction PVP (and no longer an option NOT to get it), and they should have left long ago because GTN was cross-faction, or even merely because your own republic toon can mail his gear and weapons to your own imperial toon.

Should the X-fac /whisper be implemented, I am sure a few people will get mad about it and claim this is the reason that they leave, and I am even more sure that in truth they were barely logging anyway, hated the game already, and were just looking for an excuse to leave dramatically and make a thread about it, like so many people do.

[i mean, I kinda understand the sentiment, but dude, if you truly are going to never come back and it isn't temporary or an empty threat, what is the purpose of making a fuss?]

There is no true difference between X-fac whisper and X-fac GTN, only that this is new, and this is old, and once the old was created, the player didn't look for excuses to get mad.

<The rest>

I am quite certain most leaves were due to the lack of new PVE content, the destruction of PVP balance, the new gearing system and the new conquest system. Sure, among all these leavers some left due to the reduced focus on lore but that is not the primary reason of the majority.

No.

This is a short sighted viewpoint from only one prospective (likely pvp) you need to understand that a massive portion of this game population only plays because of lore. If you choose to remove lore you will lose so many subscribers/CM money this game will shut down in 2 months. Like it or not pvpers do not make up the majority of this game (some do pvp but don't make it a focus) in any business you cater to your majority then tweak it for the minority, if and only if, it minimaly affects the majority. Removeing lore entirely from this game I promise it will not go well for a game that already has 2 feet in a grave.

So in star wars lore you can't contact your enemy :rak_02:

But, back onto the topic, sort of. I like the idea of the same xfaction guild and guild chat, but not total genchat for both factions. I think that should be restricted to pvp, flash points or operations (yes I’m suggesting FP and Ops be xfaction). But those FP/Ops shouldn’t be in the queue system. Only xfaction guilds should be able to form groups to do them because they are specifically xfaction

That's a great idea Trixxie. Would add a lot of depth to the game.

correct, in SWTOR lore you cannot contact your enemy.

Warning: Various spoilers from various stories:

Theron and Lana strongly disagree. So do Grand Moff Kilran and Satele Shan on the respective lvl 10 flashpoint. Darth Angral in the knight story, Jaesa Willsam in the warrior story, Supreme Chancellor Janarus on the bounty hunter story, the original havoc squad, Scorpio in the agent story and in the KOFTE/KOTET story... Not to mention that both sith have a Jedi companion and 1 Jedi has a sith companion, and the sith warrior collaborates with the Jedi versus other sith on Belsavis. A republic side mission on Hoth involved collabaration with the empire: you literally shoot a flare to summon imperial reinforcements to help you. Republic and Imperial soldiers can be seen standing side by side and shooting at Darth Malgus's forces at the battle of Ilum. They also collaborate versus the dread masters and the Revanites.

SWTOR lore is full of X-fac communication and collaboration for the sake of personal interests or common enemies. If the main story of the game involves part in which a dark sith and a light Jedi battle other sith because of sith rivalries, it is not so lore-destructive for light side imperials to contact reps and ask them to buy an augment, or queue GSF...

I was refering to the fact that since launch the factions have been seperate. wasnt refering to pve story content.

I personaly think the faction were always a waste of time, and back in 3.0 I begged the devs with dms to allow revanite to become an end game xfaction that would carry over to later expansions. that was back before I thought about others, before I considered rpers having souls (jk) and before I realised how important "lore" and traditional concepts in successful similar MMOs are. its very humbling to realize that as a pvper you are a minority and as such are not the primary focus of the devs. you learn quickly what is important for the fabric of the game to exist.... now Im no future reader, nor am I a super genius in gamer trend spending... but I do know almost everyone I have known in this game (including whole guilds) have left. I said before I have like 10 friends left... because everyone I used to game with is gone. the pvers left for lack of lore, content and a trash gearing system. pvpers left because the game has seemingly 0 focus on pvp anymore.............. I guess Im rambling at this point... bottom line.. I miss 3.0. before all of this got complicated, before the dcds broke, when class balance existed.....

this game went to hell the first month of 5.0. I was willling to stick with them, try a new system, see what happened. it never got better....... almost 2 years later its stilll trash balance, trash gearing, trash elo system... and about 4 months past my caring level. I like to think I really try to see things past the rough but 1 yr and a half is too much. people say "youll be back, see you in a few months"... thats not how it is anymore. people are leaving and not coming back. this isnt the same game anymore.

Edited by Seterade

I was refering to the fact that since launch the factions have been seperate. wasnt refering to pve story content.

I know, I was fighting lore with lore. It is less directed at you (who don't personally mind the division of faction), and more at the people who actually are hurt by such prospects. There are two kind of lore lovers: those who follow the lore of the game (and due to all the above shouldn't be against private communication), and those who have their own lore, and are probably as angry at the game's stories as well. This kind of people also represents a wide faction of the SW fans who hate 99% of SW because their view of the lore is different of the one of the directors, or even of Lucas himself. The current state of the game angers them, and changes will also anger them. I even once heard someone say the choice of a faction should be account-wide so any player really has to choose a faction and stick to it. I focus my reasoning on the first group of lore players because the others don't always reason.

I agree with the rest of what you say though. Many bad choices (part of them are results of giving in to player's wishes, such as rushing the story release) degraded the game. My favorite patch was also 3.0, though I have to say I think scaling all the end-game to max-lvl (4.0) sure increased the number of things to do, and on the other hand I miss the fast content release of 2.0 (which slowly added more and more content and gear such as Oricon, GSF, SH and forged alliances. I sure wish they could revert to the pace they had back there, but they are understaffed, and the game pays the price...

I don't get where people come saying it is against lore to talk between factions this isnt a fantasy game or some Star Trek one where people don't speak the same language here almost everybody in the lore speaks basic and theres a ton of stories where imps work with pubs so why would it be so lore breaking to speak between factions? at the very least speaking in whispers in pvp should be allowed.

The Hutt Cartel has seized control of the Galactic Trade Network! All Galactic Trade Network kiosks now connect to the neutral GTN, allowing players to purchase items listed by players of the opposite faction.

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.3.0/allies

They have been breaking down the cross faction barriers since a year after launch. Or did you not know that the GTN was not originally cross faction. The "lore" argument is as flimsy as cheap plasteel.

A smuggler not able to speak to a bounty hunter in Nar Shadda where is the lore in that? it would be like Luke or Vader or Han and Boba not being able to understand one another because one was in the rebellion and the other the empire.

And let's not forget that when you do find someone incapable of Basic, he uses one of these multi-purpose languages in which OMNI TOPI can mean anything in any length and you understand them perfectly :p

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.3.0/allies

They have been breaking down the cross faction barriers since a year after launch. Or did you not know that the GTN was not originally cross faction. The "lore" argument is as flimsy as cheap plasteel.

Thanks for linking the source, but I gotta claim ownership about repeatedly mentioning the GTN argument already :D