Stronghold Cap - Needs to be raised!!!

JediBoadicea

THE END (see first sentence).

Does this mean you won't keep bumping the thread? That's too bad, because the harder you argued the more it seemed to draw other people out of the woodwork to comment.

Well. In the event you might still feel inspired to keep on insulting my intelligence here and thus keep the thread bumped, I'll just say a few final things:

I feel comfortable that a reading of this thread will show that I attempted to engage with your arguments, while you have said, about me, that I am incapable of thinking rationally, and repeatedly called me both intellectually and personally dishonest. Ad hominem attacks say a lot about the foundational integrity of a person's argument. I've tried very hard to avoid that here, though admittedly I probably skirted the line when I mentioned I was glad you weren't handling IT at my company. So I'll apologize for that one.

Your most recent post only repeats all the things you previously asserted rather than engage with any of the points I attempted to make. In my opinion, the crux of your now oft-repeated diatribe can be boiled down into these sentences:

And no, I don't "speculate", you do. 1.st you are obviously not an IT pro and 2nd you obviously don't know about the decision making and communication prior to the merge. I do, so I can't take your weak defenses and vague, if not uneducated, opinions seriously - regarding that matter.

Unless you were an employee of Bioware Austin at the time of the server merge, or are friends with an employee of Bioware Austin who played you a recording of their work meetings, there is no humanly possible way you could know what was behind their decision making process. You are claiming certain knowledge that you could not possibly possess, and this is what I have been trying to argue against, because you are hanging all of your assertions on this, and further attempting to argue that what you imagine their motives to have been 9 months ago means that we cannot entertain the idea of making changes to the game now. You might have sound experience, and good insight, and be making very astute and educated guesses based on what you can observe of things as a player, but you do not know. There is a distinction there which becomes very important when you are using a blurring of that distinction as the basis of an attack on someone else.

You might be right. I have never said that you aren't. I have only pushed back against your assertions that you know without a shadow of a doubt what the devs were thinking, that there was only one reason they did what they did, and that there is no possible way they might also have considered that people who had strongholds or characters on more than one server might not want to lose them.

Just because you have no expertise here doesn't make it a belief in the real world.

Just because you do have some technical expertise doesn't make you psychic. I mean... if technical expertise gave us psychic powers, I would totally change my professional training right now because I could be winning the lottery every day.

It's very difficult to talk to people who not only argue irrational (or can't at least accept that their wishes are solely subjective or that they have absolutely no clue about technical matters).

I have never, not once, attempted to present my desires as anything other than subjective. The closest I have come to trying to say that what I want is justified by objective evidence is to point out that the game can and currently does support a player having up to 35 strongholds, and that because of this I feel disgruntled having to accept I have to be capped at anything less than 35.

I'm very tempted to keep quoting you every time you call me irrational, dishonest, reading comprehension challenged, or oblivious, but since you managed to pack so many of those accusations into just one post I'd probably be here for a very long time, and it probably wouldn't be terribly productive in the long run.

Geez... all of this because I have had such a good time decorating strongholds that I'd like to have more of them. Serves me right for wanting to play with Speedy and the palm trees. I should have accepted my place in the dunce corner and not asked for more toys. Goodness knows playing with toys is totally not the reason any of us play a video game...

Edited by JediBoadicea

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaaaaand there it is, exactly what I feared and called out in pretty much every PTS feedback post, not to mention having been calling it out for months before PTS feedback started: the cap on personal strongholds is still set at 10, despite the fact that the server merge meant people may have up to as many as 35. I haven't been able to check yet if the guild stronghold cap is still set at 1, but I'm assuming it is.

This is more depressing than I can say. I have more than 10 decorated strongholds after the merge. I have invested a lot of time, love, and money (both virtual and real) into them. It's completely ridiculous that I should have to accept sacrificing time, love, and money just to meet an out-dated and arbitrary cap on something which the merges proved is not a mechanical limitation of the game. I know this may not be a hugely widespread problem, but I know it is a problem for more than just me because I'm still patching and I got the news from other people who are also affected.

I repeatedly suggested the option of buying an additional stronghold slot unlock (just like character slot unlocks) through the CM for those of us at cap. I'm not even saying you have to remove the cap (and my suggestion even gets the studio more money). I'm just saying that you should give us the OPTION to have a way to buy more stronghold slots over the cap. Up to the 35 already proven to be supportable at minimum, though setting any minimum lower than what can actually be supported (if it's more than 35) is just pointless.

I put so much time into feedback for Rishi, and I was so looking forward to unlocking this stronghold. But I'm not giving up all of that investment when there's no reasonable justification for my having to do so. :(

I can’t see any harm in doing this. Especially if people are willing to pay cash to open up more SHs

Also ironic the fact that you can't realize (or read precisely enough) that PennyAnn said her opinion is fact, while I explicitly said for some it is important, for some not. Do you get the difference or not?

You are so outstanding dishonest in your way to "argue" when it serves your agenda and you don't even realize it I believe. That is sad, because, you know, others do.

And no, the part about reporting was not directed to you at all but actually only a general remark about the often immature way to act here. And I'm by far not the only one with that opinion.

THE END (see first sentence).

How is it my opinion and not fact that prestige score does not affect how strongholds function? Answer me that one question. Go.

(Edited to not sink to your level. You almost got me there though.)

Edited by PennyAnn

I don't think we need to be hostile to each other. Some people just misunderstand my direct and merciless way to say something as personal affront, which it isn't and is not intended at all.

I have read this thread from beginning to end. Since you seem to pride yourself on a "direct and merciless" style of communicating I will oblige you by saying there is nothing to "misunderstand" about your poor choice of words and condescending attitude to others you have demonstrated repeatedly in your posts.

I'm just a friend of a straight forward and honest conversation without any useless and stupid diplomatic blah blah. Just so you understand me and that I'm not personally attacking you. :-)

I believe the term you are looking for is called "tact". It is evident to me based on your writing that you are deficient in this quality. I suggest you review the following definition so you can educate yourself on its meaning and start putting it into practice.

tact

noun

1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.

2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste; discrimination.

3. a sense of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others, so as to avoid giving offense or to win good will; discretion

4. skill or judgment in handling difficult or delicate situations; diplomacy

The OP has made a very clear, very rational, very logical and compelling argument over the course of their discussion with you. Never once in your entire discourse have you provided any citations to support what you claim as irrefutable fact. Unless you are an employee of EA/Bioware or are in close contact with someone who is, I take everything you say as nothing more than your own, incredibly short-sighted, one-dimensional opinion.

No offense intended. I am just being rational. I fully acknowledge that you may perceive my own opinion as equally short-sighted and one dimensional. You are welcome to engage me if you wish but I guarantee you I will not have the same degree of patience, civility and tact generously given to you by the OP.

What I am primarily interested in is the actual topic of this discussion. I have no desire to delete my strongholds if I do not have to, and there is plenty of evidence to support the OP's assessment that the current stronghold cap of 10 seems to be arbitrarily low. The idea of allowing additional stronghold slots to be purchased through the CM is a wonderful solution to this current dilemma. I want this topic to be addressed by the Devs. I want to hear directly from them where things stand regarding this issue.

Edited by Sorrai

Well, now that they've capped conquest bonuses at 150% (if I remember correctly) I really see no reason why people shouldn't be able to have multiple of the same stronghold - within reason because obviously they can't let people have an infinite number of strongholds. I also see no reason why they shouldn't raise the cap on the number of strongholds someone can own.

• 2 weeks later...
...fixing the prestige score would change absolutely nothing. Prestige is a meaningless number, and fixing a meaningless number is equally meaningless.

It's both funny and ironic how something called "Prestige" would end up becoming so meaningless. :csw_yoda:

Over the course of this game many of us have observed the implementation of new features only to see them lose relevance over time. The Reputation system being consolidated is the most recent example but there have been numerous others. It's evident that the server merge broke the Prestige system and considering how much time has passed it is unlikely the Devs have prioritized this issue. Prestige may never be restored back to its original functionality and unless the Devs plan to retroactively prune our consolidated Prestige scores I'm guessing Prestige will either be redesigned, retired or simply left as-is, with those of us who were savvy enough to capitalize on the server merge ruling the roost in Prestige scores over those who weren't. I have to admit, I did like the old Prestige Score for 2 reasons. Vanity was one reason since the highest scores obviously get your stronghold to the top of the public listings if you’re the type who likes to show off their work. The other reason was as a tool for gauging the amount of effort a player has dedicated into amassing their horde of decorations.

With the Prestige system broken and the Conquest system redesigned to be less focused and reliant on Strongholds I feel that over the course of time Strongholds will eventually become its own independent entity within the game, which would hopefully be a liberating thing for the Decorator Community, who would no longer need to contend with outdated systems that really never should have been integrated in the first place. I think that Strongholds and Conquest were forced into an unhappy marriage and I speculate it is because the Devs wanted to ensure that owning strongholds would be relevant and beneficial to every player. The inherent problem was that it ended up pitting the Decorating community, who tend to be more focused on creativity, and meta-gamers, who tend to be more focused on maximizing their numbers. As a passionate decorator, I used to shake my head with disdain whenever I would tour public strongholds only to find rooms full of nothing but Basic Chairs and trophy art. You know, I get why a meta-gamer with no creative bone in their body would do that to simply max their numbers. What I don’t get is why they would even bother to *LIST* their garbage in the public directory. These repeated occurrences ultimately killed any curiosity I once had for touring other people’s creations. 98% of them just absolutely suck.

I am happy that Strongholds have persevered and hope they continue to evolve. I would like to see them annexed from Conquest altogether so meta-gamers no longer have reasons to rant on the forums whenever the decoration cap is increased and thus ruining their numbers, while decorators can simply enjoy what strongholds were best made for: decorating.

I would like to see them annexed from Conquest altogether so meta-gamers no longer have reasons to rant on the forums whenever the decoration cap is increased and thus ruining their numbers, while decorators can simply enjoy what strongholds were best made for: decorating.

This has already happened, I can't remember the exact update, but it was around the time of the last server merge.

For the conquest bonus a stronghold only has to be fully unlocked, not decorated. You can (and I do) have zero decorations in a stronghold and still get the full conquest bonus.

The people ranting about their numbers after the Manaan change were the decorators; it had nothing to do with conquest.

Please no.

I want my conquest bonus to stay at 150%.

Then keep your 6 stronhgholds? Right now there are 8 Strongholds, and the max is set to 10.

Problem is, the main audience for new strongholds, the avid decorators that had strongholds on multiple servers prior to the server merges, are well above the 10 stronghold limit now (up to 35 on Star Forge)

So until the cap is raised, no matter whether they have to pass on a new stronghold, or have to delete up to 26(!) Strongholds just to get the new one, the main audience for new strongholds will be disgruntled.

Edited by Mubrak

Then keep your 6 stronhgholds? Right now there are 8 Strongholds, and the max is set to 10.

Problem is, the main audience for new strongholds, the avid decorators that had strongholds on multiple servers prior to the server merges, are well above the 10 stronghold limit now (up to 35 on Star Forge)

So until the cap is raised, no matter whether they have to pass on a new stronghold, or have to delete up to 26(!) Strongholds just to get the new one, the main audience for new strongholds will be disgruntled.

Yeah, as long as you have 6 fully unlocked (I'd forgotten that part) strongholds you'll retain your 150% bonus.

Given the issues with strongholds and server merges I'm wondering if there should even be a cap on the number of strongholds a person could have at all. I don't personally know of a way to currently get multiples of the same and it's really just creating a problem with the people who love to decorate but already do have multiple of the same strongholds b/c of the merge.

I'm on lunch, so I have some attention to spare.

I have a boatload of strongholds left from server merges. I think 5 of each of the "first" 3 I always get. Nar Shaddaa / Coruscant / Dromund Kaas.

On their original servers they were in various stages of decoration, largely to bump up the Stronghold bonus %.

When the servers merged, suddenly, I had to sort through many more pages to try to find the one I actually wanted to use and even deactivated many, but not all, of the duplicates.

I don't see a reason NOT to increase the number of Strongholds a player can have. Right now, unless you have duplicates, you can't fill up all of the slots anyway. If you do have duplicates (why keep them? - I'll get to that in a moment) then you probably need them to get the new ones as they come out.

So...why keep the duplicates? There's only one reason that I can think of that I could really agree with. You like decorating and want to decorate differently in some of the duplicates.

That isn't my cup of tea, but I see enough posts here to recognize that some players enjoy it, so why not let them do it.

There's no downside to opening up more stronghold spot.

The only downside that there COULD have been is if the SH conquest bonus wasn't cap'd at 150%, which it is.

If you have 5x DK stronghold and unlock the rooms there, to get the bonus for cheaper than unlocking Yavin / Tatooine / Manaan / etc....more power to you.

Even when comparing to someone starting on the server new, they can't get the duplicates, I still don't have a real problem with that.

Someone saved some time/credits....big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Pssssst. Eric. *waves* Some of us are still capped out of being able to unlock Rishi. I'm willing to be patient (and I had resolved not to bump this thread again until some time had passed for bug-fix patches and etc, which now has), but it would be nice to know if this is going to be addressed at all. :(

I know that earlier I mentioned that temporarily upping the cap to something like 36 (one more than the max we know can be supported) would be an easy fix, since people not yet at cap can't buy duplicates anyway, and people at cap could only buy one single SH more, so the only people who would be adding anything to their stronghold count/load would be those at cap. But of course that was just my eagerness speaking, and I do realize it's better to roll out a planned solution that can sustain for the long term rather than a stopgap measure. But I think there's been enough people commenting here in this thread, and elsewhere I hope, to indicate that there's desire to both raise the cap and even to create an option to let us buy duplicate strongholds. I still imagine the Cartel Market stronghold slot unlock I've suggested would be the easiest way.

I spent many, many hours giving PTS feedback on Rishi, and I was so happy to see some of the specific things I asked for being implemented. I've been tearing my hair out over here not being able to get in there and play with Rishi after all that work and the whetting of my appetite! And just because I love strongholds too much to want to sacrifice the work I've put into the ones I already had. *insert big, big anime tears* Please show some mercy! (There isn't a puppy-dog eyed Jawa emoji, but please imagine I've inserted one at this point.)

• 3 weeks later...
Still haven't had a chance to purchase the new Rishi Stronghold. While I very much want to unlock it I am very dead set against doing so until they address this stronghold cap issue. The Devs have been emphasizing QoL improvements and even mentioned it in their recent posts but they still haven't addressed this important issue. A huge QoL improvement for me would be raising this unnecessarily crippling stronghold cap and allowing players to have multiple copies of strongholds. Some people have mentioned they can't understand why players would want more than one copy. I suppose they don't have much of an imagination. Considering the hundreds of decorations out there and the limited number of strongholds available, is it really that hard to understand that some of us would like to transform our Coruscant Stronghold into a personal apartment, or military base, or scientific research facility, or restaurant and night club? For me, the biggest QoL improvement they could make to strongholds would be allowing us the ability to save and load multiple layouts. If the Devs are going continue to ignore this frustrating issue and not raise the current cap and give players the opportunity to purchase additional stronghold slots then they should look into providing us a means to simply save and load our custom layouts, similar to what they did with Outfit Designer.

This is something Bioware really needs to address IMHO.

Right now a group of players who care deeply about strongholds and have spent a lot of time, money and effort on them are the group that is barred from any future participation in strongholds because of the cap.

Expecting people to delete multiple strongholds they've spent time, money and effort on to gain access to one new SH isn't fair.

If nothing else, making the exchange 1:1 (deactivate ONE SH to buy a new one) would be better than expecting mass deletions, but something needs to be worked out with this.

Clearly, it's technically possible for people to have more than 10 strongholds and duplicates.

It's also obvious that people are willing to spend money to increase their stronghold caps.

There have been several threads asking to allow guilds to buy multiple strongholds, as well.

The more strongholds a person has, the more decorations they're likely to buy in the Cartel Market.

They'll also run more missions to get reward decorations, which is great for Group Finder.

So.... the solution seems pretty obvious here. Sell cap upgrades and take people's money. Win - win.

Personally, I would buy a duplicate Yavin 4 to turn into a temple of darkness, and a duplicate Nar Shaddaa to make into a Life Day party site.

Edited by Xina_LA

Right now a group of players who care deeply about strongholds and have spent a lot of time, money and effort on them are the group that is barred from any future participation in strongholds because of the cap.

Yeah, it's a deeply frustrating irony, that. :confused:

I can't help but feel that the devs have seen that direct sale items, including direct sale decos, are doing very well for them, hence the consistent shift we are now seeing toward direct sale. If it's true that direct sale is driving more purchases, presumably because it guarantees the chance of people getting more of exactly what they want, I find it baffling that it hasn't seemed to occur to the team that this stronghold question is directly in line with that. Let players access exactly the strongholds and the decorations that they want, to the fullest extent that the game allows.

In the same way that players' ability to create alts generates player interest in collecting/purchasing more cosmetic items for those alts, the ability to have more strongholds increases a players' interest in collecting more decos, whether that's via purchasing them in the CM or doing content to get drops and credits. If we were looking at some insurmountable technical limitation preventing having duplicate strongholds that would be one thing, but obviously we're not. Just like we now know the cap of 10 has no basis in technical limitations. (Perhaps there needs to be some cap, yes, but clearly 10 isn't it.)

In the meantime, the cap issue is going to arise every single time a stronghold comes out, and I have to imagine (or at least hope) that Rishi won't be the last stronghold. But waiting until the next one to fix the problem isn't the right way to do it. Right now, many of your decorating enthusiasts are being discouraged from engaging with the content currently available, and waning interest is the most dangerous possible thing in a playerbase. I know that this Rishi stronghold question really killed my enthusiasm for the game (not because I don't like the rest of the game, but because I am understandably really saddened that I can't access a part of that I particularly love), and I haven't been playing nearly as much as before. What's to keep me motivated for deco grinding if there's no light at all at the end of the tunnel that I'll be able to access the new content?

Recently the devs talked about the nifty-sounding new deco that will come out to change your appearance in SHs, and they specifically cited it as something for the RP community. Given how little attention the RP community gets, I think this is awesome. I can only hope it means that they see value in trying to retain and give tools to this community too. And if they do, I have to beg the devs to consider that there's a very good chance many of the people currently capped out on SHs are, like myself, RP content creators, using SHs to create stages for the RP community. We create our content and we generate player investment thereby... but if we're pointlessly blocked from accessing some of the best tools to do so? That's just a shame. :(

Y

In the meantime, the cap issue is going to arise every single time a stronghold comes out, and I have to imagine (or at least hope) that Rishi won't be the last stronghold. But waiting until the next one to fix the problem isn't the right way to do it. Right now, many of your decorating enthusiasts are being discouraged from engaging with the content currently available, and waning interest is the most dangerous possible thing in a playerbase.

This is the crux of it, really. Even if they're ignoring it right now, they are going to have to address this eventually. A player with every stronghold is getting very close to cap. If they have even two from the merger, they're already at 10. Limiting people to 10 SHs is already having repercussions.

The community of players who love SHs and decorating are eager to buy decorations and new SHs, but when they're being barred from doing so by being forced into untenable choices, BW is losing a valuable source of income.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Yeah, they seem to be nose-deep in other issues right now, but when the dust clears, I hope this is something they will consider. An unlock perk on the Cartel Market seems like a reasonable idea to me.

if nothing else, if someone is over the stronghold cap due to the merger, maybe they could at least make the deactivation 1:1. Ie, if you want to buy Rishi, you would need to deactivate one stronghold instead of having to deactivate many to get back under the 10 SH limit.

They need to do this with char slots as well. If I purchase a char slot in the CC it should give me one. Atm i would have to purchase like 30 to get 1, or delete 30 chars. Its frustrating.

If they really want me to spend a lot of money on Cartel Coins, they'll need to do three things --

* Allow me to own more than 10 strongholds and buy duplicates of the same stronghold.

* Create more labels, so that I can clearly advertise my stronghold's theme.

* Increase the X/Y movement from +/-20 to a higher number, even just a 50% increase to +/- 30 would be enough.

This would also drive more participation in Flashpoints, since we would obviously want more of those decorations, as well.

There are other things that would encourage me to spend money on CC, including...

* Fix the decoration UI / Search box bug so that we can always see our available decorations.

* Release more Utility decorations, such as mission terminals, stims vendors, and so forth.

* Add hook options to existing decorations. If they're more useful, I'll buy more of them.

* Fix bugs in decorations, especially ones that have duplicate names or are not oriented properly, as these render the decorations completely unusable.

But you'll notice increasing the SH cap and allowing duplicates is at the top of the list.

Edited by Xina_LA

They need to do this with char slots as well. If I purchase a char slot in the CC it should give me one. Atm i would have to purchase like 30 to get 1, or delete 30 chars. Its frustrating.

Yes, it is.

While I have several still at level 1 or so, and a few even still waiting on name changes from the server merge, I'd like to make new ones to resdesign some of them. With 83 toons on my main server / account due to the server merge....that's not practical.

If they really want me to spend a lot of money on Cartel Coins, they'll need to do three things --

* Allow me to own more than 10 strongholds and buy duplicates of the same stronghold.

* Create more labels, so that I can clearly advertise my stronghold's theme.

* Increase the X/Y movement from +/-20 to a higher number, even just a 50% increase to +/- 30 would be enough.

This would also drive more participation in Flashpoints, since we would obviously want more of those decorations, as well.

There are other things that would encourage me to spend money on CC, including...

* Fix the decoration UI / Search box bug so that we can always see our available decorations.

* Release more Utility decorations, such as mission terminals, stims vendors, and so forth.

* Add hook options to existing decorations. If they're more useful, I'll buy more of them.

* Fix bugs in decorations, especially ones that have duplicate names or are not oriented properly, as these render the decorations completely unusable.

But you'll notice increasing the SH cap and allowing duplicates is at the top of the list.

/signed

• 3 weeks later...

Since I didn't have the freedom at the time to watch the livestream live ( I did watch it after the fact), I couldn't avail myself of the opportunity to lob questions at Keith in the chatroom. Failing that, it seems like the forums are the only hope for continuing to try to bring requests and hopes to the devs' attention. And so, I am here yet again, hoping that this issue hasn't been forgotten.

I am excited about the upcoming Ossus content. This is good, because the last two months have marked the first time since beta that I have allowed days or weeks to pass without even logging into the game. I have to reiterate how much this stronghold cap issue has gutted my enthusiasm and goodwill.

I mention this not because I believe strongholds are that important to everyone, but because I nonetheless know the question of a cap is impacting some dedicated decorators, and that's a needless hit to player enthusiasm. All of your player demographic groups matter. What's the point of dedicating so much time to strongholds as a game-within-the-game if you're not going to address the concerns of the people who most use the feature?

If, despite it being shown that the game can support players having up to 35 strongholds, there is nonetheless still some arcane technical reason why you can't allow us to go over a cap of 10, please communicate that to us!! I wont' be happy, but at least I'll know to give up my hope, stop posting in the forum, and move on to something else (and accept that it would sadly mean I have less reason to be excited about new decos that come out because if I can't keep adding new strongholds to put them in what's the point).

If, on the other hand, you have plans to address this, please tell us that too! Giving people a light at the end of the tunnel to stem the bleeding of enthusiasm and interest is extremely important.

There are some really great reasons to increase the stronghold limit, allow duplicate strongholds, and allow multiple guild strongholds. Here are my personal reasons --

* I want the guild to have a roleplay stronghold (not Rishi) and a PVP stronghold (Rishi). I'm sure I"m not the only one.

* Decorating a new guild stronghold is another nice group activity for guilds, especially if they do Ops runs together to get decos to donate.

* By having multiple copies of the same stronghold, I could have different versions for roleplay, such as a Jedi Temple on Coruscant and a Life Day party house on Coruscant. Adding more labels would encourage this even further. I would rather have a system where I can save multiple decoration layouts for strongholds and load them quickly later, but assuming that's really complicated, allowing multiple copies of one SH is the next best thing.

* Do they want to sell decorations in the Cartel Market? The more strongholds we have, the more decorations we need. More hooks = more sales.

* Do players want to get more credits for the decorations they sell? More SH = more demand = more $$$.

* Some people love decorating more than any other aspect of the game. This is a great way to open up more deco opportunities for them without the trouble of creating whole new strongholds.

* It'll be easier to queue up for a Flashpoint when more people are running them for deco drops.

* It's another credit dump to help with the in-game economy.

Edited by Xina_LA