BioWare Midsummer Update

Rion_Starkiller

http://blog.bioware.com/2018/08/02/mid-summer-update/

In the meantime, our Star Wars: The Old Republic team is hard at work on some amazing plans for the coming year, with new features and surprises that I think makes it the game’s most exciting year yet.

I wonder what this means for SWTOR? Also, the blog vaguely reminds me of Keith's roadmaps :D

"Most exciting year yet" sounds a little Ben Irving-ish. But it certainly has sparked my interest..

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they got some hidden ace up the sleeve I'm not buying it. 6.0 will drop probably around Q1 , and that's it. Sure, we will like the story and all, and maybe we will get some new cartel shinnies too, but that's about it in my opinion. I really hope I'm wrong, and somehow they can get things back on track, but it's hard to keep holding out hope. Edited by Holocron

http://blog.bioware.com/2018/08/02/mid-summer-update/

I wonder what this means for SWTOR? Also, the blog vaguely reminds me of Keith's roadmaps :D

"Most exciting year yet" sounds a little Ben Irving-ish. But it certainly has sparked my interest..

To have all the detail instead of cutting out the specifics:

"In the meantime, our Star Wars: The Old Republic team is hard at work on some amazing plans for the coming year, with new features and surprises that I think makes it the game’s most exciting year yet. And yes – we hear loud and clear the interest in BioWare doing more Dragon Age and Mass Effect, so rest assured that we have some teams hidden away working on some secret stuff that I think you’ll really like – we’re just not ready to talk about any of it for a little while…"

To the quote:

You just added Ben Irving in that, which drops my expectation to zero.

Ben Irving is the one who did that GC system, betrayed almost all the freemium player base and some of the sub base through the GC and left Keith and Eric to clean up Ben's mess and having to live with the choices made . All in the name of Ben being promoted up the EA ranks. I'd sooner not have Ben's name linked with anything Keith is doing for SWTOR.

"...for the coming year" means 2019, not 2018, for 6.0.

Considering that Bioware were cut in half last year after MEA and multiple projects going on, Anthem, SWTOR, an unnamed Dragon Age game in the works? i'm surprised we are getting as many updates and upgrades as we have this year.

"For the coming year" could mean from now to next summer in 2019, or it could mean the entirity of 2019. Not enough context to prove one way or the other on the matter.

At least we got a sentence, guys.

Click Here

lol, pretty much my reaction too. SWTOR gets overlooked so often it's kind of sad. Anyway I wouldn't expect much, Rion, but maybe this means they at least have a long-term plan for SWTOR maybe? Either way I think the content releases is what we're going to get but I say let's wait and see what they come up with.

Just more of the normal corp lines.

At this point it would be better if they just came out and said TOR isn't getting anything. I get the feeling even fi they do a 6.0 it won't have content people want. It should have a few new pvp maps and 3 full sized raids with 4 bosses each.

At this point it would be better if they just came out and said TOR isn't getting anything. I get the feeling even fi they do a 6.0 it won't have content people want. It should have a few new pvp maps and 3 full sized raids with 4 bosses each.

"SHOULD HAVE" being the operative term here. Sadly, they have virtually no dev staff. It's a skeleton crew of a skeleton crew, cause the rest were vacuumed up into the Anthem development. That is why the content flow has been abysmally slow. I really feel for the few devs we have, but I'm not sure they can achieve what we are hoping they achieve.

And the icing on the cake, is that I don't think we will get all of the dev staff back once Anthem launches either. A lot of 6.0 was already in the works long ago, so after 6.0 we may be REALLY hurting for new content in a reasonable time frame. If the game hasn't been shuttered due to Anthems failure.

Edited by Holocron

I don't think they should focus on raid anymore.

Define focus.. We got 5 bosses.. 1 operation.. That took over a YEAR to complete..

And it was already their best effort. It cost more resources than other content.

SWTOR has never been a raid focused game, if I want to raid I would not pick it at all. I don't oppose new raid, but that poster only said raid content, I want more shorter and soloable content which encourages you rather than force you to group up.

Edited by Slowpokeking

It will have content, small content likely but content nonetheless. What you suggest is just beyond the game's escope, even SOR only had 2 raids.

"SHOULD HAVE" being the operative term here. Sadly, they have virtually no dev staff. It's a skeleton crew of a skeleton crew, cause the rest were vacuumed up into the Anthem development. That is why the content flow has been abysmally slow. I really feel for the few devs we have, but I'm not sure they can achieve what we are hoping they achieve.

And the icing on the cake, is that I don't think we will get all of the dev staff back once Anthem launches either. A lot of 6.0 was already in the works long ago, so after 6.0 we may be REALLY hurting for new content in a reasonable time frame. If the game hasn't been shuttered due to Anthems failure.

I think perhaps we might get more content after Anthem's launch but it will be likely minimal, the state of the game isn't to be blamed on Anthem. If Anthem wasn't being developed those devs would likely be siphoned off to other projects. The game would continue with the content drought.

And it was already their best effort. It cost more resources than other content.

SWTOR has never been a raid focused game, if I want to raid I would not pick it at all. I don't oppose new raid, but that poster only said raid content, I want more shorter and soloable content which encourages you rather than force you to group up.

I'm not opposed to soloable content but a raid here and there would be nice, the focus isn't raids, it's more of a variety really. Keith released flashpoints, a new warzone, a new GSF map, a daily area and a new raid. The problem here is the timing, not the content, we have to wait too much between content releases. But it is what it is, and is likely what the game will remain, we either take it or leave it.

There are lots of single player games that can accomodate you.

There are lots of single player games that can accomodate you.

I guess we could also say that there are a lot of MMO that could accomodate players who want group content, so what's the point ?

If people want to play this game for its stories and want to play on their own without playing with other people they should just go on another game that has no SW story content ?

You know I'm looking forward to seeing Anthem be the biggest blunder in gaming history. No one wanted it, no one asked for it, and we both know it's going to have all of the normal forced bs that Bioware shoves in all of their games now.

Really it would be so nice if Anthem also made EA go under. After that we'd just need Bethesda, Microsoft and Ubisoft to crash and burn and we'd can start to get gaming back on the right track.

I’ve played MMORPGs on and off for two decades. I’ve played EQ, WoW (for years), DAoC and many others that have come and gone from memory. I’ve led guilds, soloed, grouped and raided (even participated in day-long raids with dozens of other players).

I grew bored of those games.

The only game in the MMORPG genre that I’ve chosen to come back to (and subscribe to) is SWTOR. The only reason why I came back is the storylines.

No other MMO offers that kind of interaction, involvement and growth between player, character and companions.

The storylines are the strength of SWTOR and in my opinion they should be the focus of the developers.

The stories are what sets SWTOR apart from the rest.

The stories are the ‘meat and potatoes’ of the game. Everything else is just a bonus.

I guess we could also say that there are a lot of MMO that could accomodate players who want group content, so what's the point ?

If people want to play this game for its stories and want to play on their own without playing with other people they should just go on another game that has no SW story content ?

Yep.. But name one expansion where Bioware didn't produce story content.. Now do the same for operations. Story will always be part of an MMO.. but it shouldn't be the only part of an MMO.

Have a wonderful evening.

Yep.. But name one expansion where Bioware didn't produce story content.. Now do the same for operations. Story will always be part of an MMO.. but it shouldn't be the only part of an MMO.

Have a wonderful evening.

^This. I loved the focus on story that KOTFE/KOTET gave but they really had some great opportunities to tie in other content with KOTFE.

You know I'm looking forward to seeing Anthem be the biggest blunder in gaming history. No one wanted it, no one asked for it, and we both know it's going to have all of the normal forced bs that Bioware shoves in all of their games now.

Really it would be so nice if Anthem also made EA go under. After that we'd just need Bethesda, Microsoft and Ubisoft to crash and burn and we'd can start to get gaming back on the right track.

At this point what are you even on about Anthem? Like. What is "normal forced bs"? Really if you don't like the game that's fine, don't buy it. No need to go on a hate rant over it, serves no real purpose really.

Yeah, you're living in your dream world if that is even an option. Those companies aren't going away any time soon.